Sony TV - Screen format issue

I have a new Sony 46HX803 television connected to my Sky HD box with HDMI. I want to watch 4:3 broadcasts in 4:3 not unnaturally stretched to fill the screen. But when I press the "format" button, the only options I get are "Smart" (which seems to shoot the picture off the edges top and to the side), "wide" and "zoom". The options "4:3" and "14:9" simply aren't there. I have tried the one on display in John Lewis and it does the same.

After forty five minutes of speaking to the Sony technical support helpline (in Cairo!), I am no nearer.

Surely it must be possible to watch 4:3 broadcasts in the proper format on this television?

Comments

• JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I have recent Sony TVs with the XMB (or whatever it's called) menu system.

On the one I'm looking at now (HX903) it's

Home>Settings>Display>[Enter]>Screen>[Enter]

Which gives a target inputs menu under which is Auto Format, under which is 4:3 default, pressing enter at that point gives me the option, Off,4:3 or Smart.

Will go and check a different set.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    I have a new Sony 46HX803 television connected to my Sky HD box with HDMI. I want to watch 4:3 broadcasts in 4:3 not unnaturally stretched to fill the screen. But when I press the "format" button, the only options I get are "Smart" (which seems to shoot the picture off the edges top and to the side), "wide" and "zoom". The options "4:3" and "14:9" simply aren't there. I have tried the one on display in John Lewis and it does the same.

After forty five minutes of speaking to the Sony technical support helpline (in Cairo!), I am no nearer.

Surely it must be possible to watch 4:3 broadcasts in the proper format on this television?

Assuming you're talking about SD channels?, then you need to add a SCART lead to get all your SD options, HDMI is treated as essentially 'HD Only' so you don't get all the SD format options. 4:3 programming on the HD channels is transmitted as widescreen, with borders added at transmission to the programme.
    Forum Member
    Assuming you're talking about SD channels?, then you need to add a SCART lead to get all your SD options, HDMI is treated as essentially 'HD Only' so you don't get all the SD format options. 4:3 programming on the HD channels is transmitted as widescreen, with borders added at transmission to the programme.

That's incorrect. If you are able to select 4:3 format as I have described then SD channels will be formatted correctly - I am looking at one now and my HD box is connected ONLY with HDMI and it is displayed in 4:3.

The only exception to this is if you, for example select a 4:3 broadcast on an HD channel, then the picture is stretched.

For example, I'm looking at Aerobics Oz Style on Sky ch 418 and it is formatted as 4:3, if I switch to the same broadcast on channel 403 (Sky Sports 3 HD) then the picture is stretched.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For example, I'm looking at Aerobics Oz Style on Sky ch 418 and it is formatted as 4:3, if I switch to the same broadcast on channel 403 (Sky Sports 3 HD) then the picture is stretched.

I don't know about the Sonys but on my Panny even then you can manually change the picture to 4:3 (I know some TVs can't). It would be nice if all TVs had proper control over aspect ratio, it would make choosing a TV much easier.
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    I don't know about the Sonys but on my Panny even then you can manually change the picture to 4:3 (I know some TVs can't). It would be nice if all TVs had proper control over aspect ratio, it would make choosing a TV much easier.

You can do that with a Sony using the remote to a certain extent, but if I was watching a 4:3 broadcast on a Sky HD channel, pressing the aspect button on the remote doesn't have 4:3 as an option. If I switch to the same broadcast on an SD channel, the option is there. As I said before though, if you set the TV up to display 4:3 broadcasts in 4:3 then the TV will automatically display it correctly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I'm talking about SD channels. Even changing the "4:3 default" to "4:3" does not give me 4:3 through the HDMI.

I can probably live with it, but it seems odd not to have this as a basic setting.
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm talking about SD channels. Even changing the "4:3 default" to "4:3" does not give me 4:3 through the HDMI.

I can probably live with it, but it seems odd not to have this as a basic setting.

What is your Sky HD box set to?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Added a Scart cable as you suggested. Problem solved. Thanks Nigel.
    Forum Member
    Added a Scart cable as you suggested. Problem solved. Thanks Nigel.

Do you have your Sky HD box to output HD at 1080i by any chance - mine is set to automatic and outputs a 4:3 picture correctly.

If I set it to 1080i it stretches the picture.

Try it and see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have your Sky HD box to output HD at 1080i by any chance - mine is set to automatic and outputs a 4:3 picture correctly.

If I set it to 1080i it stretches the picture.

Try it and see.

Yes that has worked too. Thanks JulesandSand. I changed the output HD to "automatic" and it allowed me to change the "4:3 Default".

I should come to this forum first before speaking to Cairo!

Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you get the same quality of HD picture on an HD channel with the Sky HD box set to "Automatic" as you do with it set to "1080i"?
    Forum Member
    Do you get the same quality of HD picture on an HD channel with the Sky HD box set to "Automatic" as you do with it set to "1080i"?

As far as I can see, yes. I think that all Sky HD broadcasts are 1080i, as far as I know anyway.
    Forum Member
    As far as I can see, yes. I think that all Sky HD broadcasts are 1080i, as far as I know anyway.

Yes they are - all HD broadcasts are 1080i, so with the box set to automatic it outputs 1080i for HD and 576P for SD - if 720P programmes ever appear they would be output as 720P.
  • FL23FL23 Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Just stumbled across this thread and have solved the same problem I was having with my KDL-40EX503.

Changed Sky HD box to Automatic and am now watching TOTP from 1976 in glorious 4:3.

Thank you.

Just wondered if there's a setting anywhere to mute DLT permanently :)
    Forum Member
    FL23 wrote: »
    Just stumbled across this thread and have solved the same problem I was having with my KDL-40EX503.

Changed Sky HD box to Automatic and am now watching TOTP from 1976 in glorious 4:3.

Thank you.

Just wondered if there's a setting anywhere to mute DLT permanently :)

Ha ha I watched that tonight, the 1970s is my era and wasn't the show cringeworthy, Mud in their long forgotten disco phase, Brotherhood of Man showing that manufactured talent-free combos were around long before X-factor, the Wurzels singing live by jove. :)

And what about Marc Bolan - such a boyish haircut.

Peter Frampton was good though. Gallagher and Lyle might have been hadn't they been miming.