Substitute for red/pink food colouring?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need to make a red or pink cake but don't really want to buy food colouring. Nothing to do with dietry requirements, i just know that i'm unlikely to use it again, so spending nearly £1 on top of my other baking costs, is a lot for 1 teaspoon.

Does anyone know of a cheap alternative, please?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    beetroot juice might work, don`t know if it tastes of owt though. or paprika maybe, that doesn`t have much of a taste.

edit:
    Brighten up your baked goods with natural alternatives to synthetic dyes. To make red velvet cake without a bottle of red food coloring, try using the juice from a can of beets and substituting it for the part of the liquid in the recipe. The flavor of the beets will not affect the flavor as the sugar seems to cover it up. This recipe uses grated beets for its red tone at Dying For Chocolate. Here is another recipe that gets its coloring from beets, but also uses unprocessed cocoa powder to produce a deeper red at Bittersweet Blog.

http://ctgreenscene.typepad.com/ct_green_scene/2011/02/goodbye-food-dye.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beetroot juice might work, don`t know if it tastes of owt though. or paprika maybe, that doesn`t have much of a taste.

edit:

http://ctgreenscene.typepad.com/ct_green_scene/2011/02/goodbye-food-dye.html

Thank you.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I agree with qbeetroot juice, I think it's quite popularly used as a natural food dye. And you'd get the most beautiful colour from it.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't use paprika! It does have a flavour and can be very hot.

Beetroot is your best bet. I've seen Hugh F-W using it to colour marshmallows. You might find his recipe floating around on the net somewhere.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Do you think you would use up a full carton of beetroot juice?
    You can keep the little jar of food colouring in the cupboard for ever. In 5 years time when you want to make some pink cakes again it'll be there.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would buy the red colouring personally.

you will probably waste more trying to discover an alternative
  • statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would buy the red colouring personally.

you will probably waste more trying to discover an alternative

agreed :)
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    How about pomegranate juice? Just cut into it, on a plate, and it will render its juice. Nice deep red colour and, although it may be a little sharp, the sugar in the cake should counteract this.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    I wouldn't use paprika! It does have a flavour and can be very hot.

Beetroot is your best bet. I've seen Hugh F-W using it to colour marshmallows. You might find his recipe floating around on the net somewhere.

must be me then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    I need to make a red or pink cake but don't really want to buy food colouring. Nothing to do with dietry requirements, i just know that i'm unlikely to use it again, so spending nearly £1 on top of my other baking costs, is a lot for 1 teaspoon.

Does anyone know of a cheap alternative, please?

Is it to colour cake or icing?