Do i need an aerial?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

Moving to a new house soon where there is no roof top aerial (they currently have Virgin Media cable).

I'm considering getting Freesat, but was wondering if i need an aeriel, or if the installation of Freesat box & dish will cover everything required?

Thank you.

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will need an aerial if you want to use your TV's built in tuner(s). Otherwise while you are using a Freesat+ box to record two you will have a limited choice of other channels (Humax) or none at all (most other makes), other than the pair of channels you are recording. You can of course watch existing recordings while recording two others
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will need an aerial if you want to use your TV's built in tuner(s). Otherwise while you are using a Freesat+ box to record two you will have a limited choice of other channels (Humax) or none at all (most other makes), other than the pair of channels you are recording. You can of course watch existing recordings while recording two others

Thanks Graham

If i'm only recording 1 channel, will i be able to watch all others, if i do not have an aerial?

I'd rather not pay for an aeriel installation on top of the Freesat.
  • Vin BlancVin Blanc Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Freeview requires an aerial (long thing with stickyout bits) and your TV probably has a built-in Freeview tuner.

Freesat needs a satellite dish and a Freesat receiver (such as a Humax) if your TV does not have a built-in Freesat tuner.

Vin Blanc
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    Thanks Graham

If i'm only recording 1 channel, will i be able to watch all others, if i do not have an aerial?

I'd rather not pay for an aeriel installation on top of the Freesat.

Yes, in fact if you buy a Humax, you can watch any other provided the two you are recording use the same transponder (eg BBC1-HD and BBC2-HD).

If you slip the installer a few quid he may wire you out a 3rd lnb connection. The lnb will have 4 outputs. A el cheapo free to air satellite box connected to this will give you unlimited 3rd channels (more in fact than you can get on a freesat box).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great, thank you.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are a hopeless TV addict, install an aerial to cover your addiction when the dish is adversely affected by weather. ;)
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are a hopeless TV addict, install an aerial to cover your addiction when the dish is adversely affected by weather. ;)
    I second this too, and as an added bonus you can also (providing you are served by a full Freeview transmitter) watch the channels that are not on Freesat too.