Sky News apologises after presenter is seen looking through MH17 luggage

Comments

• Mark CMark C Posts: 20,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Rather a pity Sky's Paula Muddlehurst hasn't been around recently, She is in the habit of sneering at the BBC .

What has she been saying about them ?
  • CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    He actually used the word "gaffe" to desrcibe what he'd done. Now, while I have difficulty wrapping my head around what he did, I've never been anywhere near such a traumatic scene. But, in the cold light of day, to refer to it as "gaffe"? And this guy is meant to be one of Sky's better correspondents? Time for Uncle Rupert to send his staff for sensitivity training, I think.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Seems that he did apologise on-air (although I cannot verify what he said as I did not see the report as it went out):
    Too late, I realised that I was crossing a line. I thought aloud: "we shouldn't be doing this … this is a mistake", an instant apology that was only selectively quoted by those determined to see what I did as a powerful example of journalistic vulturism.

I saw that quoted in full and it did not seem a particularly good apology to me, he seemed more concerned about being caught out. He seems to think it was just a minor mistake.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I saw that quoted in full and it did not seem a particularly good apology to me, he seemed more concerned about being caught out. He seems to think it was just a minor mistake.

So was the apology simply ""we shouldn't be doing this … this is a mistake"" or was there something else that has been left off (as per the "selectively quoted" remark)?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So was the apology simply ""we shouldn't be doing this … this is a mistake"" or was there something else that has been left off (as per the "selectively quoted" remark)?

BT Sport is in trouble now for cutting away from a tribute to show adverts.

Maybe this shows that the public are genuinely upset at events in Ukraine and the tv channels have not realised just how much.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/fans-disgust-bt-sport-cuts-away-tribute-supporters-111957416.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    BT Sport is in trouble now for cutting away from a tribute to show adverts.

Maybe this shows that the public are genuinely upset at events in Ukraine and the tv channels have not realised just how much.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/fans-disgust-bt-sport-cuts-away-tribute-supporters-111957416.html
    Regarding the BT Sport incident, I would see it more about the lack of respect shown during the laying of the wreaths and the one minute silence for the two fans rather than any overall feelings about the disaster itself.

Such occasions should NEVER be interrupted, that's just out of respect for the dead. And certainly not to simply show adverts, that is totally crass.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His article in the Guardian was okay. But he totally lost me when he mentioned the "locals". It was clear from just hours after the plane was shot down some of the locals were doing very bad things in terms of removal of personal items and evidence.
    He mentioned the horror of the Body Parts etc? It served no purpose walking through the actual crime scene.?

He Mentioned Twitter users like some 16 year old kid decided to play keyboard warrior, some well respected people within his own field used twitter to comment on his actions.
    this is sky news the channel that rams Twitter down the viewers throat any chance is gets
    but now used to try and deflect the comments made we via twitter (trying to degrade the sentiment felt).

Andrew Wilson would have been a much better choice with his military background and more used to be around these situations.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    His article in the Guardian was okay. But he totally lost me when he mentioned the "locals". It was clear from just hours after the plane was shot down some of the locals were doing very bad things in terms of removal of personal items and evidence.
    He mentioned the horror of the Body Parts etc? It served no purpose walking through the actual crime scene.?

He Mentioned Twitter users like some 16 year old kid decided to play keyboard warrior, some well respected people within his own field used twitter to comment on his actions.
    this is sky news the channel that rams Twitter down the viewers throat any chance is gets
    but now used to try and deflect the comments made we via twitter (trying to degrade the sentiment felt).

Andrew Wilson would have been a much better choice with his military background and more used to be around these situations.

He should have known better, but also was he being asked to get closer by a producer either with him or back in London?

I remember Fox News getting in deep cack after they showed a guy blowing his brains out after a car chase and the studio presenter screaming cut cut to the producer as he was seeing the feed a few seconds before the audience. Smith did a proper on screen apology afterwards, not his fault as the feed was not under his control, but fess up on air properly if you screw up, people will respect that.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should have known better, but also was he being asked to get closer by a producer either with him or back in London?

I remember Fox News getting in deep cack after they showed a guy blowing his brains out after a car chase and the studio presenter screaming cut cut to the producer as he was seeing the feed a few seconds before the audience. Smith did a proper on screen apology afterwards, not his fault as the feed was not under his control, but fess up on air properly if you screw up, people will respect that.

that's a very good point yes I remember the Fox news death .
    I haven't been impressed with BBC or Sky news over this disaster the graphic descriptions about the stench of death in the air and body parts in trees on peoples roofs, telephone lines etc. when there are British Families having to hear this. its bad enough they have lost loved ones but hearing that level of detail just seems totally heartless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I don't accept his apology. To think for a single second that it's fine to be rifling through the belongings of people who have been murdered is a serious lapse of judgement. Not to mention deeply offensive and upsetting to the relatives. Everyone was furious that the rebels have been doing this and stealing things, then along comes some dumb reporter and does the same thing? Just awful.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well written, and I feel, genuinely heartfelt piece.

It was a very bad mistake, and he knows that, he's been big enough to hold his hands up and say so, but hopefully, Sky will keep him. Kay Burley has done some very bad things on air and she is still there, so time to move on.

All that's left to do is for Sky to offer an on-air apology.
    I've just read that Guardian explanation by Brazier.

Although I did not see first hand the offending live incident, I was watching his live broadcasts from that site in the hour or two previous to it, and as I wrote on this thread on Monday, I felt certain he was looking traumatised as he was doing his live report on Sky, and clearly this lead to his thought process being compromised. He confirms this in his article. During this evening I accidentally came across totally unedited video clips when browsing through some Russia Today items on the subject. These were film of the bodies of men, women and children, some naked, some half burnt, some mangled but clothed, some even bloated. Infact bodies in any kind of appalling description you care to mention, from naked and almost seeming unscathed, amazingly, to the most totally pulverised. I should have had the sense to pass it over, but human nature takes over, and I felt tainted afterwards. I likely glimpsed only a fraction of what he and others saw, and did not have to contend with the smell either, or the infuriating behaviour of those lawless gun toting thugs impeding human decency and justice.

Clearly being a journalist for Sky has had an effect on him. When he mentioned being 17 at the Bradford fire I could not believe he is only just 15 months older than me. I thought he was 10 to 15 years older!

I've always had a fear of flying myself, and rightly or wrongly this has firmed up my fear more than ever, despite the obvious truth that it is safer than anything. But the total lack of personal control once in an aircraft fuselage is too much for me.

As an aside, has Kay Burley ever been on record as offering an apology for any of her own lapses of judgement?
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the BT Sport iident, I would see it more about the lack of respect shown during the laying of the wreaths and the one minute silence for the two fans rather than any overall feelings about the disaster itself.

Such occasions should NEVER be interrupted, that's just out of respect for the dead. And certainly not to simply show adverts, that is totally crass.

Agreed, and probably the best thing BT Sport could do, is to donate the advertising revenue from that break to the families of the victims ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Agreed, and probably the best thing BT Sport could do, is to donate the advertising revenue from that break to the families of the victims ?

Yes, I would agree with that course of action.
  • CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Although I did not see first hand the offending live incident, I was watching his live broadcasts from that site in the hour or two previous to it, and as I wrote on this thread on Monday, I felt certain he was looking traumatised as he was doing his live report on Sky, and clearly this lead to his thought process being compromised. He confirms this in his article. During this evening I accidentally came across totally unedited video clips when browsing through some Russia Today items on the subject. These were film of the bodies of men, women and children, some naked, some half burnt, some mangled but clothed, some even bloated. Infact bodies in any kind of appalling description you care to mention, from naked and almost seeming unscathed, amazingly, to the most totally pulverised. I should have had the sense to pass it over, but human nature takes over, and I felt tainted afterwards. I likely glimpsed only a fraction of what he and others saw, and did not have to contend with the smell either, or the infuriating behaviour of those lawless gun toting thugs impeding human decency and justice.

Clearly being a journalist for Sky has had an effect on him. When he mentioned being 17 at the Bradford fire I could not believe he is only just 15 months older than me. I thought he was 10 to 15 years older!

I've always had a fear of flying myself, and rightly or wrongly this has firmed up my fear more than ever, despite the obvious truth that it is safer than anything. But the total lack of personal control once in an aircraft fuselage is too much for me.

As an aside, has Kay Burley ever been on record as offering an apology for any of her own lapses of judgement?

Not to my knowledge but I stand to be corrected. Journalists very rarely apologise. The press in this country is incredibly powerful - I'm always puzzled when I hear them going on about press freedom - it seems to me like they have alot of freedom. People can be destroyed by stories that appear in the press, but journalists are on to the next story, they don't seem to care. I got into a bit of a Twitter spat with an Express journalist yesterday about this very subject. They actually used the phrase "nice for you to be right all the time." Imagine if a politician who was being taken to shreds by a journalist replied with "Aren't you lucky to be right all the time?" There would be outrage, and quite rightly - it's a pathetic defense to justified criticism. Freedom of expression doesn't just go one way. But journalists seems to think it only applies to them. I've read Kay Burley interviews where she's said she doesn't care what people say about her - that's fine in some measure, but if it makes you think you should never be criticised....
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Burley
    In February 2010, Burley was forced to apologise on-air for offending Catholics when she joked that US Vice President Joe Biden, who had ashes on his forehead to mark Ash Wednesday, had a "large bruise" that he had picked up from "walking into a door" or from slipping on ice during his recent trip to Canada for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Criticism portion of that page is interesting. Clear to see why she had to go on the offensive (not hard for her...!) issuing threats to Sky to ensure she got her contract renewed.

Gotta love that saggy-faced pic Wiki have on her page!! How many times will she have tried to get that updated?! :D

31k google results for "sky news kay burley terrible".

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/feature/a527982/9-most-cringeworthy-kay-burley-moments-making-peter-andre-cry-more.html#~oKPxcnSJnSEhRq
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky cut away from the coverage as the hearses left the airport to goto a commercial break, who is running Sky News Damian Day?

At least CNN's Michael Holmes acknowledged a silence while the hearses left.

They have decided to show the business news now.:confused:
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote from the SKY anchor just before the ad break at 3:30 pm
    "At least now their bodies are back and can be treat with some respect"

Like your reporters do then??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tasker wrote: »
    Quote from the SKY anchor just before the ad break at 3:30 pm
    "At least now their bodies are back and can be treat with some respect"

Like your reporters do then??

The bodies in those coffins could contain Britons and Sky have decided to do a business interview with Dashini David.

Disgraceful!!
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    I had a flashback when watching that Sky News Clip. It was of a show in the 1980s called Drop The Dead Donkey. A far fetched spoof of TV News Channels. Far fetched?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ2bvR3BT_g
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be new laws for Journalist and Broadcasters to go through people's personal stuff that are private.

Sorry, do you mean a law stating they should not go through people's personal stuff or a law to say that they can? :confused:

I doubt Kay Burley ever thinks she has had any lapses of judgement.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bodies in those coffins could contain Britons and Sky have decided to do a business interview with Dashini David.

Disgraceful!!

Now you are just looking for reasons to be upset.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member

Disgraceful!!

I watched most of the coverage of yesterday's events - Sky, a commercially based channel, didn't have a single ad for over an hour yesterday because they stayed with the feed. I see no problem with what they did and I think they cut off at the right moment.

The story occurred a week ago now and there is other news to get on with. - Probably why the Plane Attack is now 4th in today's news agenda -
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Now you are just looking for reasons to be upset.

Don't talk b*****cks, you don't cut away to business news just as the hearses are pulling away well done CNN and BBC for keeping with it throughout.
  • bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously page 26 of the Globe Link News staff training manual.