Options

Should all Halal/Kosher meat in the UK be labelled?

FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
Forum Member
Following on from another thread, it is now clear that meat in the UK could be killed in a number of ways, including Halal and Kosher.

Not everyone may want to eat meat killed in a certain way but it can be difficult to establish exactly the source of the meat and the slaughter method.

Should it be a requirement for all meat sold in the UK to be labelled accordingly, including restaurant menus?

Comments

• Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it should. It would help those who want to avoid Halal/Kosher and those who want to eat Halal/Kosher.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. People have strong opinions about it in both directions, so I think it's something that would benefit enough people to justify its inclusion.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not religious so it doesn't bother me at all, but I accept that some people believe in this sort of thing, which does make the labelling necessary.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you take in to account that many people don't eat meat for many reasons and also that there are meat substitutes that you can buy, i suppose clear labelling as to what you're getting wouldn't hurt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely. I find the 'Hallalling(?)' of meat unnecessarily horrific. If it were up to me, id ban it altogether. Those who want to believe in mythical nonsense and so make our animals suffer for no good reason can live elsewhere >:(
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think yes it should because I wouldn't want to eat Halal meat.

Having said that I don't actually eat meat at all anyway so it doesn't affect me personally.

It would also be beneficial for people who do want to eat Halal or Kosher, and I'm a bit puzzled that these meats aren't already labelled for this reason alone!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It doesn't really bother me but I suppose officially it should be listed, just like free range, organic, farm assured, British Tractor, RSCPA etc. are listed.

The FSA is cracking down on it. More takeaways have to have in their shop and on menus that turkey ham and similar products are used instead of pork. Not exactly the same issue but i'd guess that a similar notice about halal would be brought in.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Yes, of course it should be labelled, for the reasons already given.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Definitely label it, those who want to eat it can, those who don't won't and those of us who couldn't care less can be disagreeably muttered about at the checkout
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't give a shit. I eat a lot of meat and am happy to go hunting/fishing too kill/cook my own. If I gave a shit about the animals on my plate, I wouldn't eat them in the firstplace. I think a lot of people (not all) 'pretend' to give a shit though, as its anti-muslim. .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people (not all) 'pretend' to give a shit though, as its anti-muslim. .

I agree. Because frying the beast's brains is far less cruel. Suddenly Joe Public is an expert on such matter!

If I felt that strongly, I wouldnt eat meat. Simple as that really.

I'd be embarassed to argue that eating an animal that has been electrocuted is ethical...
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    It doesn't really bother me, if it was labelled as halal I would still buy it. I label my halal chicken as such.

And as said above, if it bothered me that much personally (not saying everybody should do the same) I would just stop eating meat.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Because frying the beast's brains is far less cruel. Suddenly Joe Public is an expert on such matter!

I'd be embarassed to argue that eating an animal that has been electrocuted is ethical...

Would you prefer to be electrocuted or have have the blood drained from your body whilst you were still alive?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its clearly defined in Supermarkets & Butchers
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I personally don't care, but clearer labelling of everything can only be commended.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »

While lots of supermarkets have a clearly labelled halal meat section (tastes no different to non-halal meat but is significantly cheaper) and halal butchers (also delicious meat and much cheaper) are clearly labelled, supermarkets do sell unlabeled halal meat.

4 years ago Tesco, M&S and The Co-Op admitted that all of their New Zealand lamb is halal, while Waitrose and Sainsburys said that all the lamb they sell is halal. However, none of them actually label it as such.

In the interest of fairness though all meat (halal and non-halal) should be labelled with the exact method of slaughter so that people can make fully informed choices about how much it actually bothers them.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »

Not true at all.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I am interested in whether meat is humanely slaughtered - if it is pre-stunned then the label should say so (as well as saying if it is halal or kosher). Some 80-90% of halal and kosher meat is pre-stunned so I will buy it - I would like to know which to avoid however.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Yes, definitely.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following on from another thread, it is now clear that meat in the UK could be killed in a number of ways, including Halal and Kosher.

Not everyone may want to eat meat killed in a certain way but it can be difficult to establish exactly the source of the meat and the slaughter method.

Should it be a requirement for all meat sold in the UK to be labelled accordingly, including restaurant menus?

Yes, definitely. It should be clearly labelled.

Just as halal eaters feel strongly, so do many others feel as strongly to the converse.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the reason for avoiding the cruel method of death is the reason for labelling meat, presumably those wishing to avoid it also avoid any intensively farmed livestock?

Personally I couldn't give a hoot how the animal ended up on my plate. Thankfully I can detatch myself from seeing the end product and thinking of it as a previously live animal, and if part of the process on getting to my plate involves halal slaughter then, meh, whatever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    I am interested in whether meat is humanely slaughtered - if it is pre-stunned then the label should say so (as well as saying if it is halal or kosher). Some 80-90% of halal and kosher meat is pre-stunned so I will buy it - I would like to know which to avoid however.

Indeed. Halal is, if pre-stunned, no more nor less cruel than a bolt to the brain.

As I've posted before, if people refuse to eat Halal because they don't like the idea of throat cutting, whether stunned or not, then they need to stop eating almost ALL poultry products. Pretty much all chicken, turkey etc. in the UK is stunned and then has it's head cut off, it then bleeds out. In reality it is pretty much identical to Halal and Kosher slaughter of the same birds, along with other animals. The main difference is that no prayer is broadcast, but a good many will be slaughtered to the sound of Katy Perry or Myley Cyrus as the radio plays in the background. :)

ALL Halal and Kosher meat in the UK should be pre stunned and properly labelled.

That way the vast majority can continue to buy whatever they like, anti Muslim folks can buy non Halal and Muslims can be sure they are buying Halal, anti Semites can buy non Kosher and Jews can be sure they are buying Kosher, and if it is pre-stunned the ones who object purely on those grounds are happy too.

And before someone pipes up and moans that pre stunning means it isn't Halal, that's rubbish. All Halal slaughtered animals from New Zealand and many other countries are pre stunned, and a huge amount of that is exported to Muslims in the Middle East without anyone raising an eyebrow.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A bolt to the the head, snapping of the neck, suffocating or boiling to death, being gassed, electrocution or throat being slit...none sound that nice and you're right, if I really cared I would choose to subjugate said animal to none of the above.
  • Options
    Sanni SvennSanni Svenn Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I'm not British born although I do believe it should be labelled.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bolt to the the head, snapping of the neck, suffocating or boiling to death, being gassed, electrocution or throat being slit...none sound that nice and you're right, if I really cared I would choose to subjugate said animal to none of the above.

A bolt to the head or electrocution is a much quicker and more humane method compared with letting an animal bleed to death.