Options

Why the Absolute 60's,70's, 90's, 00's stations have failed!

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voice tracking on Absolute 80s is messed up today. They played Duran Duran followed by Jesus & Mary Chain, but the presenter announced them as Irene Cara and Womack & Womack.

Now they're referring to football matches this afternoon which took place yesterday.

Duran Duran is next.. but it's actually Crowded House.

Well look on the bright side... At least Manic Monday hasn't been on! :D ;-)
  • Options
    jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Fancy a laugh? Read the 'professional' Tweets they have been doing at Absolute 00's

https://twitter.com/absoluteradio00
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fancy a laugh? Read the 'professional' Tweets they have been doing at Absolute 00's

I bet they also do the 'hilarious' scripts for Matt Berry's voice overs!!

Just terrible
  • Options
    Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this. Been listening this evening - some very eclectic stuff!

Playing INXS as I type this, but not an obvious track. It was 'Johnson's Aeroplane', one which I'd never heard before. Again, I like this station because they play the big acts from the decade but obscure album tracks or B-sides that you wouldn't otherwise hear.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    I don't disagree that people do define tastes by decade but however you cut it, it's always going to be a very arbitary split.

I would suggest that 55-64, 65-74, 75-84, 85-94 etc would create decades that much better reflect the music styles of the times

I very much agree that this would be a much better split of musical genres and tastes.
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    I very much agree that this would be a much better split of musical genres and tastes.
    I think it's been said before but, for example, 80s should also include tracks from 1979 and 1990.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bollard wrote: »
    I think it's been said before but, for example, 80s should also include tracks from 1979 and 1990.

Why should it?
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Why should it?
    1979 tracks would have still been very prevalent in 1980 and a lot of music in 1990 would have been made in 1989 and still have a late 80s 'flavour'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80s Forever played the German language version of Kraftwerk's 'Showroom Dummies' this morning ('Schaufensterpuppen') and that dates from 1977. So I think this station at least acknowledges tracks from the late 70s that were forward-thinking enough to influence the music of the 80s. Likewise they also play Gary Numan tracks from 1979. I don't know if they have played anything from 1990 though.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should it?
    1979 tracks would have still been very prevalent in 1980 and a lot of music in 1990 would have been made in 1989 and still have a late 80s 'flavour'.

Didn't Absolute 80s do this when it started? I seem to remember people getting upset it was playing non-80s tracks.

Personally I say play them every now and then if they fit but make a feature of it - similar to the Skool Daze/High School Days show on Century/Real did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    Didn't Absolute 80s do this when it started? I seem to remember people getting upset it was playing non-80s tracks.

Personally I say play them every now and then if they fit but make a feature of it - similar to the Skool Daze/High School Days show on Century/Real did.

They still do!

You have this crazy situation where one of Matt Berry's 'oh so funny' voiceovers tells you Abs 80s is from the first of January 1980, then they go and play 'Heart of Glass' from erm... February 1979!

They also play 'Video Killed The Radio Star' from 1979.

If anyone says Rod Stewart hasn't been 'heard in ages', I guarantee it'll be 'Downtown Train' they play from early 1990 and they seem to like 'Hold On' by Wilson Phillips (summer 1990) as well.

It's a pi$$take considering all the titles that are genuine 1980s songs they refuse to play and ignore. Where do you draw the line? 1978's 'Hanging On The Telephone' sounds a bit 80s... Sybil had some 1993 hits with SAW. Should they be played too?

In my opinion anything that wasn't a hit between January 1980 and December 1989 DOES NOT BELONG ON AN 80s STATION!!!!
  • Options
    Karl AshtonKarl Ashton Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    They still do!

You have this crazy situation where one of Matt Berry's 'oh so funny' voiceovers tells you Abs 80s is from the first of January 1980, then they go and play 'Heart of Glass' from erm... February 1979!

They also play 'Video Killed The Radio Star' from 1979.

If anyone says Rod Stewart hasn't been 'heard in ages', I guarantee it'll be 'Downtown Train' they play from early 1990 and they seem to like 'Hold On' by Wilson Phillips (summer 1990) as well.

It's a pi$$take considering all the titles that are genuine 1980s songs they refuse to play and ignore. Where do you draw the line? 1978's 'Hanging On The Telephone' sounds a bit 80s... Sybil had some 1993 hits with SAW. Should they be played too?

In my opinion anything that wasn't a hit between January 1980 and December 1989 DOES NOT BELONG ON AN 80s STATION!!!!

I get the impression from a lot of your posts that Absolute Radio 80's can't do anything right...
  • Options
    CiderMonsterCiderMonster Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to admit I would have no objection with the odd dip into either of the neighbouring decades as part of a feature, given the potential overlap as mentioned already in here (I recall Leila K - Got to get, having two different lines 'fresh for 89' and 'fresh for 1990' as it crossed the decade

High School days did the odd dip into the neighbouring decades and it worked well ☺
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression from a lot of your posts that Absolute Radio 80's can't do anything right...

No they can't. It could and should be an awful lot better than it is.

It needs a new PC and someone who actually knows and loves 80s music to give it a whole new lease of life. It's one of the most tired sounding stations on air right now
  • Options
    AntboxAntbox Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reads like the Shippams Paste guy. Probably on purpose?
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute Radio 70s is testing on satellite. so it looks like the station will be joining the line of stations on SKY & Freesat. http://www.a516digital.com/2015/02/absolute-radio-70s-satellite-tests.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Sorry to have to say this but to all those people who are saying that the only virtual indie and rock staion should start playing 1993 dance cheese need to get a life. I have constantly listened to AR until Q radio came on the scene in 2008 and returned when the station was pulled in 2013 for crappy kisstory. There are people who like listening to alternative music despite what all you lot are saying. If you want dance cheese tune to galaxy. In my opinion the best era of music was 1997 and a indie/rock 90's decade station should reflect that. Because of a lack of a BBC radio 1.5 AR is the only station I listen to. I for one want the status quo. We dont need the last decent alternative radio set of stations being deleted if that happens it will end my radio listening.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    pengwyn wrote: »
    Sorry to have to say this but to all those people who are saying that the only virtual indie and rock staion should start playing 1993 dance cheese need to get a life. I have constantly listened to AR until Q radio came on the scene in 2008 and returned when the station was pulled in 2013 for crappy kisstory. There are people who like listening to alternative music despite what all you lot are saying. If you want dance cheese tune to galaxy. In my opinion the best era of music was 1997 and a indie/rock 90's decade station should reflect that. Because of a lack of a BBC radio 1.5 AR is the only station I listen to. I for one want the status quo. We dont need the last decent alternative radio set of stations being deleted if that happens it will end my radio listening.

Whining?;-)

I don't think Galaxy (the radio station) exists anymore.

I have been listening to 60s & 70s quite a bit over the last few days and (apart from the over-yappy breakfast shows which I won't listen to) have quite enjoyed both stations. They sound very good via the AAC or Ogg Vorbis streams. (WinAmp player).
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think the presenters sound bored and robotic. Surely choose some presenters who had their hey day in that particular decade even if it were one per station and let them also help with the playlists they were there they lived it. Some are still alive and kicking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Thats what I liked about q radio, hardly any presenters just decent rock indie music.
    To be honest I dont care so much for the DJ's, itd be nice to hear more station choice like absolute but then that is why q closed theres no listeners with discernment. They want to attract the druggie chavs on the top deck of buses blearing out same old regourgitated speeded up voiced dance crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pengwyn wrote: »

Is 6 Music no good for you?
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    All the Absolute decade stations have performed very well this quarter, and with the exception of 80s have all shown an increase.

Absolute 60s, 90s and 00 have had their best ever Rajar
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    All the Absolute decade stations have performed very well this quarter, and with the exception of 80s have all shown an increase.

Shame that they have just had there wings clipped somewhat, let's hope this might make them think about putting them on more local mux's which have the room..
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,380
    Forum Member
    Les Wires wrote: »

90s will fall off a cliff next time as they are no longer on D1.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    ...but but but the decades stations are rubbish this thread continually tells me so :o:o

One in the eye for the Virgins.