Options

Can a unionist PM who loses Scotland survive for long?

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
Could Scottish independence mean curtains for David Cameron?

Comments

• Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    It means curtains for both Cameron and Miliband. Cameron immediately after the vote, Miliband later once he gets elected and a few years later when Scotland formally separates because his party will lose a load of MP's and plunge Labour into a minority overnight.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    A politician with any honour would resign after having seen the break up of a 300 year old union.

But we are talking about Cameron - who is only in it for the prize. He won't go.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron wouldn't be the.one made Scotland leave the Union, that would be the leader of the Scottish party that has wanted Independence (at all costs) for years now... Although you can put money on them blaming Westminster (and by this he means England) when shit hits the fan...
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be a total clear out of all the idiots, George Osborne, Cameron, Millipede, Darling etc

However this is the UK and we don't have the nerve of the Scots, so therefore all the above will have long careers where they make millions, just like Blair.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Cameron wouldn't be the.one made Scotland leave the Union, that would be the leader of the Scottish party that has wanted Independence (at all costs) for years now... Although you can put money on them blaming Westminster (and by this he means England) when shit hits the fan...

Why are you letting it get to you so much? I don't understand it. I accept the people of Scotland gave the SNP a big majority in elections with the objective they craved of independence well known right in their very name. Why do you want to keep like 4 million people if they do want to leave? Do we really want 4 million people unhappy being in a system and country they don't want to be in?
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way any of the party leaders, the cabinet or the shadow cabinet can stay if Scotland votes yes.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    There's no way any of the party leaders, the cabinet or the shadow cabinet can stay if Scotland votes yes.

What about Nigel..........?
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No why would he have to resign ? Dont get me wrong I am no fan of the PM but he has no reason to re-sign. He did promise they would get the vote and that we would respect the outcome of the vote. He was still voted into office by us so we can only blame ourself for this.

However I dont think anyone is to blame it is just the nature of history taking it courses if it does happen.

I believe what is more important is what happens afterwards. I think should they go he will be judge on his role in putting the rest of the UK first. If he gets us stitched in a CU with Scotland heads will start to roll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bluescope wrote: »
    No why would he have to resign ? Dont get me wrong I am no fan of the PM but he has no reason to re-sign. He did promise they would get the vote and that we would respect the outcome of the vote. He was still voted into office by us so we can only blame ourself for this.

However I dont think anyone is to blame it is just the nature of history taking it courses if it does happen.

I believe what is more important is what happens afterwards. I think should they go he will be judge on his role in putting the rest of the UK first. If he gets us stitched in a CU with Scotland heads will start to roll.

After Scotland votes to leave the UK, there will surely be a post mortem on why they decided to leave. Independence will be a massive rejection of Cameron and the Tories, what credibility will the PM who "lost Scotland" have left?
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Cameron's government which refused to offer devo-max.
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    After Scotland votes to leave the UK, there will surely be a post mortem on why they decided to leave. Independence will be a massive rejection of Cameron and the Tories, what credibility will the PM who "lost Scotland" have left?

With the animosity that has been stirred up by the Scottish gov towards south of the border, I doubt people south of said border are going to be too bothered. Given the chance, there's probably more chance of a majority south of the border voting for independence for Scotland on its behalf!
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

The loathing of the tories in Scotland is a big factor behind the yes vote.I think if a strong labour govt had called this referendum it may have played out differently.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,481
    Forum Member
    The loathing of the tories in Scotland is a big factor behind the yes vote.I think if a strong labour govt had called this referendum it may have played out differently.

Equally, it was the utter collapse of Labour at the last Scottish elections which brought the independence poll about in the first place. The Scottish Parliament was meant to have been designed in such a way that made a majority a distant proposition. The Conservatives haven't had a strong presence in Scotland for decades - it's the slide of Labour and the Lib Dems that has handed the reigns over to the SNP.

In answer to the main question, I think Cameron's position would be perhaps fatally weakened - but the flip side of it is that the relative position of the Conservatives would be strengthened somewhat. The conversation would quickly move from the navel gazing about the collapse of the Empire onto a rather more cold-headed (and perhaps even bitter) approach to the negotiations. Indeed, I think the 2015 election would likely be won and lost on the basis of who promised to screw the Scottish over harder!
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As much as I would like to see Cameron replaced I cant see that there would be many in the UK that care enough either way about Scotland leaving to force a resignation.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There does appear to be a whispering campaign on the Tory back benches that Cameron would have to go...........but it's probably just the usual suspects who reckon he should go for a dozen other reasons.........mainly being 'too soft' on Europe

Can't see any reason why he should go........it's not as though he's led the 'stay' campaign and failed. He's made his views known but pretty much sat on the sidelines or at least only played a minor role

In the olden days he'd have had to resign ..........like Carrington resigned as Foreign Sec for 'losing the Falklands' even though he didn't have much to do with it, he accepted responsibility

Ministers these days only seem to resign is they've personally done something not merely if something happens on their watch.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,602
    Forum Member
    It means curtains for both Cameron and Miliband. Cameron immediately after the vote, Miliband later once he gets elected and a few years later when Scotland formally separates because his party will lose a load of MP's and plunge Labour into a minority overnight.

Cameron needn't go after the vote. He may well want to stay on to negotiate the settlement. I can't see Miliband resigning until his party actually loses an election.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »

I hardly think so. There'd be no one left!
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Yep, David Cameron should resign if Scotland becomes independent as he would be the man who broke up the union. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, David Cameron should resign if Scotland becomes independent as he would be the man who broke up the union. >:(

No, it would be the voters of Scotland who did that. DC is merely respecting their wishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If you remember the gruesome Thatcher years as well as I do, yes it all makes perfect sense.

The current generation of PPE educated career politicians in Westminster will of course never understand this.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,645
    Forum Member
    If you remember the gruesome Thatcher years as well as I do, yes it all makes perfect sense.

The current generation of PPE educated career politicians in Westminster will of course never understand this.

We remember the Thatcher years only too well The demolition of the mining industry and the unforgivable closure of Ravenscraig live long in the memory On the 18th we have the opportunity to ensure that Scotland never again has a government that sets out to destroy industries and communities
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

Would that be a bad thing?

The disillusion with the political classes and process is pretty endemic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    We remember the Thatcher years only too well The demolition of the mining industry and the unforgivable closure of Ravenscraig live long in the memory On the 18th we have the opportunity to ensure that Scotland never again has a government that sets out to destroy industries and communities

I hope you take it, I really, really do. You will still be welcome down here in Blackpool:D
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    As much as I would like to see Cameron replaced I cant see that there would be many in the UK that care enough either way about Scotland leaving to force a resignation.

Spot on. There's more chance of him resigning over something we do actually care about, for example, if we lose to the Swiss tomorrow.