Confirmed: Ben Hardy leaving Eastenders

Comments

• Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we can rule Peter out as being the killer. I assume by now the cast would at least have the scripts for New Year's Day, which
    is going to rule out all but (I think) four suspects.
    so presumably that means Peter is not in the running. If he was, I think DTC would've asked for this news to be kept quiet until after the 30th.
  • The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Huh? He's finished his contract, that's why he's leaving...

This confirms what I've suspected all along.... Ian killed his own daughter

Then the contract shouldn't have been so short!
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    These young actors are pissing me off with their inability to commit to contracts.

EE should make them guarantee to do at least three years.

He will have done 3 years. He's leaving in June 2015.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    They are committed to their contracts if the contracts are for twelve months. Surely it is the fault of Eastenders/BBC for not offering them longer contracts at the start.

What if they don't work out though? Then the producers are stuck with them for 2/3 years. There's a reason actors start out with 6/12 month contracts, neither side wants the risk of signing a long term contract straight away. The producers don't know how well the character will be received and that kind of commitment straight off the bat could put some actors off. Neither side is at fault here imo, it's just the way things are.

Also they may have offered him a longer contract and he refused, they can't force him to sign anything.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    xTonix wrote: »
    Lol :D

I am so thinking Peter killed Lucy now.

Ugh.

Do you really think if he did, DTC would want it to be revealed that he's leaving?
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    Wow this sucks, firstly because he's gorgeous and secondly because he is a Beale. He may not be the best actor but the fact Ian had family around him was nice. Shame.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I think it's a shame as I really like Peter and have always really liked Ben in the role - I know I'm in the minority

Best of luck to him though and I'd say this does increase the chances of him (or someone very close to him) being the killer.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody can say they are mad with the actor. He completed his contract. If they wanted him to stay long term they should have offered him a longer contract, simple as.

But to say the actors "fail to commit" is silly. If they've completed their original contract then how have they not committed?

Agree with this. I think it's a shame Ben is leaving but I don't understand why people would be angry at his decision. EastEnders is a job like any other, he shouldn't feel any obligation to stay if he wants to try other things. He signed for two years and he's done two years.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if they don't work out though? Then the producers are stuck with them for 2/3 years. There's a reason actors start out with 6/12 month contracts, neither side wants the risk of signing a long term contract straight away. The producers don't know how well the character to received and that kind of commitment straight off the bat could put some actors off. Neither side is at fault here imo, it's just the way things are.

Also they may have offered him a longer contract and he refused, they can't force him to sign anything.

That's what break clauses are for. I don't know why they don't offer 2-3 year contracts with a 12 month one-way break for the BBC, and a two-way break clause at the 2 year point. Gives TPTB a chance to get rid after a year (but not the actor), and gives both sides the opportunity to end the contract after 2 years. It gives security and options to both sides but ensures that any work invested in a successful character isn't all for nothing 12 months down the line.
  • issy17issy17 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Wow. So this is probably going to be another recast.

Johnny, Peter and Martin...
    Lauren will be leaving for a while too!

I agree with one of the posters above that they should definitely make them sign a contract which requires minimum 3 years commitment.

Shows credibility is slowly going and wth is going to happen to the Beales?? How awkward will it be to see Ian interact with yet another Peter, Bobby and now a new Martin.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    Lol :D

I am so thinking Peter killed Lucy now.

Then we'll have siblings that kill each other

Nephews who rape their Aunts

Sisters who turn out to be mothers

Husbands who burn their wives

:o:o:o

On a serious note, I hope it isn't Peter. The Beales need to live on and we only have Bobby, I'd settle for Pete Beale mark three.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another good character and actor leaving. Johnny first and now Peter.

I have always thought he killed Lucy and I suppose there is a stronger possibility now.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is exactly why I felt that he should have been killed off, since Hetti seemed to be committed to the show's future

Yep. I always said it was so short sighted. I doubt Mimi Keene will stay too long either she has the talent and the looks to be a big success beyond soaps if she wants. So the Beale's will be left with Bobby as the only legacy character.

It is a shame this has happened but it was predictable. Ben himself said last year he wasn't with EE for a long spell.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    What if they don't work out though? Then the producers are stuck with them for 2/3 years. There's a reason actors start out with 6/12 month contracts, neither side wants the risk of signing a long term contract straight away. The producers don't know how well the character to received and that kind of commitment straight off the bat could put some actors off. Neither side is at fault here imo, it's just the way things are.

I was going to say exactly the same. Imagine the uproar if it had been revealed that the likes of Dexter had been signed up for three years from the off. :D It's just not workable and it may put off some excellent jobbing actors from taking a role.

I get that it's disappointing for us and the show he's leaving but at the end of the day he is only human with his own feelings and hopes and dreams. He has every right to do what makes him happy rather than sticking around for fear of disappointing and just phoning in his performances. Imagine if we all lived our lives and careers like that! :o It's unfair to judge him for 'letting the shoe down'.

I am sorry to see him go but intrigued. Seems like a rush release of the news in light of the Xmen speculation, don't think they wanted to announce it yet for some reason or another.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Then we'll have siblings that kill each other

Nephews who rape their Aunts

Sisters who turn out to be mothers

Husbands who burn their wives

:o:o:o

On a serious note, I hope it isn't Peter. The Beales need to live on and we only have Bobby, I'd settle for Pete Beale mark three.

Don't forget cousins that impregnate each other.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I hope when he returns from New Zealand he is featured in every episode until August.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it been confirmed August next year is when he will leave!?
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bad because the Beales will now be down another family member and another possible recast in the future, Peter is a important part of that family, I however do not blame the actor one bit, his got a shot at bigger things and he taking it but it's just a shame as it doesn't feel like his been on there long enough, it's only been a year and a bit.

But I always got the feeling Ben Hardy was never mega comfortable with the attention or lack of storylines he's had.

and it question where it leaves Ian and Lauren, yes Lauren is leaving but JJossa is confident she will return and his involvement in the Lucy Beale s/l, I bet DTC is not happy one bit atm as it seems some of the younger cast are fickle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Yyyyeeeeesssssss!!!!!!!
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Ben. It serves EE right for killing off Lucy. Hetti was committed to EE long term. Now the Beale's are losing yet another member. Any more recasts really would just take it too far so I think Peter is now gone for the foreseeable.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    I think we can rule Peter out as being the killer. I assume by now the cast would at least have the scripts for New Year's Day, which
    is going to rule out all but (I think) four suspects.
    so presumably that means Peter is not in the running. If he was, I think DTC would've asked for this news to be kept quiet until after the 30th.

He might net be able to keep it quiet though if the rumours about Ben being cast in a major Hollywood film are true. He couldn't make them keep their cast list under wraps.

That said I think it is more likely that Peter leaves after the reveal because he just can't cope with being around whoever it turns out to be's family.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Has it been confirmed August next year is when he will leave!?

Well he arrived on screen in August 2013, so if he's leaving at the end of his contract, he will last be seen August 2015
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a pain, the area EE were lacking in a few months ago was males in their 20s and now two potential long term characters are off and another can't stay because his character is a rapist!
  • MontyDMontyD Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with others who say the wrong twin died. Lucy was a far more interesting character than Peter. So killing her off my have impact in the short term but in the long run the show suffers.

As for the actor himself I don't rate him personally but if Hollywood is calling good luck to him.