Jill or Kara

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara for me. I haven't really been voting this series so far but think that may change next week.
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill.

I wouldn't say her Ballroom was that great, but for me no one can touch her Latin, it was phenomenal!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    Kara for me - I love Jill but would rather watch Kara
    I think it helps that artem's choreography rocks the place
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Out of those two it would be Kara... but my all time favourite is Alesha. I think Zoe Ball was fantastic too and went out before her time.

And don't forget Jade who danced with Ian (last year?) before she got that injury and had to pull out she was my absolute fave.
  • OldShep56OldShep56 Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started taking notice of Kara about week 2. She is the first dancer to get me on the edge of my seat in anticipation since Alesha'
    Kara just seems to have a natural beauty and grace so tis Kara for me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kara - she dances like a professional. Very precise and elegant. Executes Artem's brilliant choreography so well.
  • rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    when you think about it we have had some good females...

series 1
    Natasha ( not that great but i think they wanted her to win that series)
    Claire - i think she should have won series 1 !!!!

series 2
    Jill - imo i think that she was amazing !, technically the best female ever. the only one that comes close is kara !, i would love to see her viennese waltz, argentine tang & charleston
    Denise - often overlooked she was actually a really good dancer, her cha cha cha was very good i cant believe she only got 32

series 3
    Zoe - she was another really good dancer, considerably better at the ballroom than the latin though...

series 4
    Emma - even though people say she was overmarked sometimes she was actually a very very good dancer, i think the public were very happy with her being the judges favourite though.
    Louisa - as someone else said she was one of the most natural dancers ever !, it was a travesty she was eliminated

series 5
    Alesha - one of the best dancers weve had but i do think she was overrated though !!, her latin was quite messy and she was alot of the time pigeon toed but none of the judges ever said this. her ballroom was very good though
    Kelly - another very neat and precise dancer, i actually think that she could have gone on to win and improved if the public got behind her more, ashame she left.
    Gabby - i know alot will disagree but for me this woman was the best dancer since jill !!!, she had such a raw talent !! such a precise technique the judges just didn't mark her highly enough and i cannot believe that she was eliminated in week 4 !!

series 6
    rachel - was a very good good dancer, overmarked sometimes though and her latin didn't really excite me !. i always feel that when she danced she didn't use the floor that much though.
    lisa - even though people say that she was overmarked hideously i found her to be a better dancer than rachel !.

series 7
    ali - a very good ballroom dancer but lacked in the latin dances because she was quite airy fairy
    Zoe - people may disagree but i thought this womans dancing talent was great she was very neat and allways clean with her dancing

series 8
    kara - best thing since jill IMO.
    Pamela - ok but her latin isn't as good as the ballroom !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara all the way!

She's fantastic!
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,393
    Forum Member
    Very hard to decide between Kara & Jill. Jill so obviously loved to dance, she just had that extra something that made her look like a natural. But then I could say exactly the same about Kara - decisions decisions..........
    Maybe Kara...........? but then again............ :rolleyes:
    I too thought Zoe was very good, I particularly loved her Tango. She was great until she opened her mouth:eek:.......then she didn't know how to shut it, made me cross the way she always cut across Ian, as though only she had anything important to say :yawn: Shame how these things colour one's memory. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Jill

Her jive is still my favourite!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    echad wrote: »
    For me it's Kara vs. Rachel. I think Kara has won by virtue of better latin. Rachel may still have the edge in ballroom.

Same here.

I think Kara's got what no other female has had - perfect technique and perfect performance in BOTH genres of dance.
  • tawnytawny Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill by a mile every time! best female dancer ever!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I will wait until the end of the series but she is starting to edge things for me because she is brilliant at both Ballroom & Latin. Jill was great at both but was actually often outshone a little by Denise in the Ballroom. Alesha was stunning in ballroom but not quite as good in Latin. And Rachel was technically fantastic but just didn't have the overall performance or wow factor for me.

I'd largely agree with the above.

I don't think I appreciated Jill fully at the time, partly cos I was really gunning for Denise, and partly because I knew less about dance then. In a way it's quite hard to compare them as the series has changed a lot - series 2 was more choreographically conservative so perhaps if they went head to head in the same environment it would be easier to compare them. Both of them have excellent finish to their lines. On balance I'd say I have a preference for Kara because I find her partnership more dynamic and engaging than Jill and Darren's (sorry!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    cath99 wrote: »
    Denise's quickstep is one of only a handful of dances that I have (and continue to) watch time and time again. I think she is under rated generally on here and I would have her in my top 3.

Kara and Alesha make up the rest.

Ooooh - after I read this I went on and watched all of Denise's dances on YouTube - the woman's a goddess! So strange that she's hardly referred to now.

(and Ian being wonderful of course, I think he will be back properly next year)
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill Halfpenny
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara and Jill are the two who seemed to me to be natural dancers. Kara has more of a dancers build and I haven't seen a weakness yet, so I'm drifting toward Kara as the best ever.

Rachel didn't have dancers legs, but was technically excellent and did have some weakness in latin dances. She still has more dances I rate as the best than anyone else, but Kara might pass that.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alesha :p
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Jambob wrote: »
    Kara for me, but then I would also put Alesha and Rachel ahead of Jill.

Not quite sure why Jill is held up as the perfect female celeb to which all others must be compared, she was the best there had been up to that point, but we've had many excellent dancers since.

Personally I'd rate the best female celebs as:

1: Alesha
    2: Rachel
    3: Kara
    4: Jill
    5: Denise
    6: Loiusa (often overlooked in these discussions, but one of the most naturally talented dancers we've seen on the show.)
    7: Kelly
    8: Zoe
    9: Pamela
    10: Lisa

Hadn't Louisa already jived before she did Strictly? Her Latin was good, but her Ballroom was incredibly mediocre.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    series 8
    kara - best thing since jill IMO.
    Pamela - ok but her latin isn't as good as the ballroom !!

Pamela is better than "OK"! It has been mentioned zillions of times before, but Pamela's age obviously works against her. However, I think she's quite a versatile dancer, especially considering her age and body shape. Her Ballroom has been good, but I also really liked her Salsa, Charleston and Rumba.
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dredging this old thread up , have to say it looks like Kara has the potential to be the best "celeb" dancer ever.
  • RichwoodRichwood Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara for me, but then I would also put Alesha and Rachel ahead of Jill.

Not quite sure why Jill is held up as the perfect female celeb to which all others must be compared, she was the best there had been up to that point, but we've had many excellent dancers since.

Personally I'd rate the best female celebs as:

1: Alesha
    2: Rachel
    3: Kara
    4: Jill
    5: Denise
    6: Loiusa (often overlooked in these discussions, but one of the most naturally talented dancers we've seen on the show.)
    7: Kelly
    8: Zoe
    9: Pamela
    10: Lisa

You have similar perception to me. Can't decide between Jill or Kara, one is always likely to favour the more recent dancer, forgetting what Jill did several years ago.

I also rated Louisa highly. Gabby Logan might well have been a front runner if she had been given a fair chance.

My rankings :

1. Jill Halfpenny
    2. Kara Tointon
    3. Zoe Ball
    4. Alesha Dixon
    5. Rachel Stevens
    6. Louisa Lytton
    7. Denise Lewis
    8. Kelly Brook (Brilliant on the live tour)
    9. Ali Bastian
    10. Natasha Kaplinski

(11.) Gabby Logan
  • HotsforLiliaHotsforLilia Posts: 187
    Forum Member

Agree wholeheartedly with that. Have a look back at some of Jill's dances for instance and compare with what we have seen from recent female celebs.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill Halfpenny
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you judge it like a decathlon, Kara might well come out on top. However, for me, Kara has never quite achieved the "wow factor" that Jill managed on a several occasions..but there's still time. :)
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara is a beautiful dancer and I think she is the best ever on the show.
    I like Artem and his choreography is very stylish, but I think I would have preferred them to be dancing under the rules of a few years back.

eg. In the Viennese Waltz, they got into hold after a 30 second introduction and danced in hold for 20 seconds, then after about 16 seconds out of hold, back into hold for 3 or 4 seconds, then out of hold and back into hold for another 3 or 4 seconds and then out of hold for the finish. So 26 to 28 seconds in hold from a 90 second dance.

I'm surprised Len didn't say something after his comment on the AS.

I'm happy that for other people it doesn't matter because the dance looked so good, but it takes away from it a bit for me.