slow connecting to websites

robbrarobbra Posts: 524
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,
I have a HP Pavilion laptop running Firefox.
For about the last two weeks when connecting to websites the little green indicator runs grey in reverse and then times out. This can be any of my bookmarks.
Is this a sign of a problem with my laptop or an indication that the websites are very busy?
Thanks
I have fragmenter, virus, malware and cleanup programmes running regularly.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    does it happen if you visit a site for a second time shortly after?
  • robbrarobbra Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has done today, just times out on some although sometimes gets straight on the site if I try again.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ok but the problem is not specific to the first attempt. then subsequent attempts say with in the same hour are fine?

in which case the first thing to do would be to restart your router.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your answer.
    I switch my router off at least 4 times a daywhen I go to work or out. I have a spare so may try a new one. It hasn't happened today.
    I live quite a way from the exchange so maybe that has something to do with it although it has only satrted to happen recently.
    Forum Member
    robbra wrote: »
    Thanks for your answer.
    I switch my router off at least 4 times a daywhen I go to work or out. I have a spare so may try a new one. It hasn't happened today.
    I live quite a way from the exchange so maybe that has something to do with it although it has only satrted to happen recently.

stop switching your router off.

leave it on for 24 hours and see if you still get the problem.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried using a different browser such as Google Chrome?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robbra wrote: »
    Thanks for your answer.

Why are you switching your router off? If it's ADSL then that will mess with the syncing of the line and potentially be the cause of your issues.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you looked at your routers status lights when you can't get online? Could be that the router is losing connection occasionally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Why are you switching your router off? If it's ADSL then that will mess with the syncing of the line and potentially be the cause of your issues.
    I have never found that switching a router off & on causes any problems.

Only yesterday I was repairing a router. During that time I must have switched my one off & on a dozen times with no ill effect. It simply resyncs when switched back on.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I switch my router off at least 4 times a daywhen I go to work or out

Yes as others have said just leave it switched on 24/7, they use very little electricity.
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    I have never found that switching a router off & on causes any problems.

Only yesterday I was repairing a router. During that time I must have switched my one off & on a dozen times with no ill effect. It simply resyncs when switched back on.

Not sure if it's still the case, it was a few years ago that I read about this

When you switch it off/on it thinks there is a problem with the line, so connects at a slower speed to try and stabalise it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    Not sure if it's still the case, it was a few years ago that I read about this

When you switch it off/on it thinks there is a problem with the line, so connects at a slower speed to try and stabalise it

It is called the BRAS profile / sync rate, which may be getting reset if your router is not kept on and stable.

It monitors your line over a fixed period, and when it sees it can increase your data throughput the BRAS will sync higher. If it sees disconnections, disruptions, or is unable to test the line properly, then your profile can get messed up, causing your throughput to drop severely.

You can find out your modem's sync speed http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Leaving the modem plugged in, will stabilize your internet connection.
    Forum Member
    It it is ADSL2+ it works a little differently that adsl.

it will resync the line at the maximum speed it can to achieve a signal to noise ratio no worse than a predetermined level the target SNR.

but the noise profile of a line changes throughout the day. and if you connect at a low noise time as the noise increases the line may become unstable and drop. this could be the OP's problem.

if you leave it on for a full day then it will have sync'd at a speed appropriate for the worst noise level and should be stable all day.

my advice to the OP is to leave the router on for 24 hours and see if that helps. it is up to him if he follows it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    It it is ADSL2+ it works a little differently that adsl.

it will resync the line at the maximum speed it can to achieve a signal to noise ratio no worse than a predetermined level the target SNR.

but the noise profile of a line changes throughout the day. and if you connect at a low noise time as the noise increases the line may become unstable and drop. this could be the OP's problem.

if you leave it on for a full day then it will have sync'd at a speed appropriate for the worst noise level and should be stable all day.

my advice to the OP is to leave the router on for 24 hours and see if that helps. it is up to him if he follows it.
    I notice that my modem syncs to a faster speed in the mornings. I have a fairly slow connection (5 - 6 Mbps). If I reset the modem in the morning I get 6 Mbps. Resetting it in the evening it's around 5 to 5.5 Mbps.

To reply to your part in bold. If the SNR drops too low & the modem connection drops completely, wouldn't it just resync to a slightly lower speed though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to all.
    All lights that normally flash do when the circle greys and reverses.
    I'll leave it on for 24 hrs to see if it makes a difference although I have always switched it off regularly and this problem has only just started happening.
    I use Firefox and Comodo Ice Dragon browsers which have always been ok before.
    Will see what transpires.
    Thanks
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    I notice that my modem syncs to a faster speed in the mornings. I have a fairly slow connection (5 - 6 Mbps). If I reset the modem in the morning I get 6 Mbps. Resetting it in the evening it's around 5 to 5.5 Mbps.

To reply to your part in bold. If the SNR drops too low & the modem connection drops completely, wouldn't it just resync to a slightly lower speed though?

Yes it would. But it's not that the connection drops because of the snr per se. So much as the error rate gets too high and the error checking goes bananas.

So what seems possible, even though it may not be likely, is that the connection is up but no data is moving. Then the op fires up his computer the data comes through with errors the connection goes down. And he has to wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any update OP?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    It's no different left on. Sometimes it's slow others not. I think it might be the number of users as I'm in a small village and some way from the exchange. It's worse in the early evening when perhaps more people are online.
    I'll have to live with it. The original question was posed as I thought it might be my laptop but seems not.
    Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to know so many are willing to help.