Options

Changing degree

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've finished the second year of my 4 year degree which involves a year abroad (third year). However due to a change in circumstances, I'm now unable to go on the year abroad.

I'm really worried that because of this, they will fail me altogether and kick me off my course and I'd have to reapply to a new university. Does anybody know who I can ask ask at the university about what my options are, and if there is any way, that they would let me carry on doing my degree without going on the year abroad?

Comments

• Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you not just ask your tutor.... You will not be the first person who for one reason or another cannot do the third year overseas
    Talk it through with the Uni =- thay may find a way for you to do it... or change what you do so that you still get a degree.

Baically Unis tend to be judged on how many student they award degrees to ... not on how many students they throw out!
    if not your tutor, some other memeber of staff or someone in student services ..
    I realise that it is now Holiday time but the admin staff are still there - talk to them - to get someone to phone you .

Don't delay - As it is not likely to be a bid deal of the Uni... why should it be for you?

The sooener you find out, the more you will be able to enjoy the next few weeks and then your third year .
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Life is all about changes and adapting to them. I don't know why you are worrying?

Communication is the key to getting a good degree so please communicate more with your personal tutor or the tutor you get on well with.

Flexibility is always available on courses. Why did you think they would fail you?

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life is all about changes and adapting to them. I don't know why you are worrying?

Communication is the key to getting a good degree so please communicate more with your personal tutor or the tutor you get on well with.

Flexibility is always available on courses. Why did you think they would fail you?

Good Luck!

Well, because I figured that since the year abroad is compulsory, if I don't go, then they would without a doubt kick me off the course and fail me.

I will definetly speak to someone as soon as possible, I'm just worried that they would tell me off big time for leaving it so late.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    talk to your personal tutor asap
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, talk to someone about it.

I am currently on a compulsory work placement for my degree. They told everyone they had to try and get a placement, if they didn't get one and couldn't show evidence of trying to get one then they would have to go away for a year and come back when those that did get a placement came back.

Those that could prove they tried to get a placement but didn't get one were given the option to either go straight into the final year (although their degree title would change accordingly) go away for a year and come back (not a good idea really as potential employers will wonder why it took you 4 years to do 3 years and why you couldn't get a placement) or do the final year and then try again for placement the next year.

So anyway, back on topic more... they may say it's compulsory but there are usually ways round it. These will differ from uni to uni though.

Talk to someone, that's the only way you will work this out.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    laska wrote: »
    Well, because I figured that since the year abroad is compulsory, if I don't go, then they would without a doubt kick me off the course and fail me.

I will definetly speak to someone as soon as possible, I'm just worried that they would tell me off big time for leaving it so late.

If you have a good reason for not doing the 'year abroad' on a language course, you should be OK. If you simply don't want to go, you will have a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote: »
    If you have a good reason for not doing the 'year abroad' on a language course, you should be OK. If you simply don't want to go, you will have a problem.

There's definetly a good reason....but I guess I hate talking about personal problems to strangers...but I guess I have no choice. I hope they understand and don't pressurize me.