Options

Al Murray's Multiple Personality Disorder - Friday 9:30pm ITV1

hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
Forum Member
✭✭
ITVs latest sketch show coming to ITV1 on Friday staring Al Murray.

http://www.itv.com/Entertainment/comedy/MultiplePersonalityDisorder/default.html

Will anyone be watching?

You can watch a preview on the website and it looks ok but i will wait and see, but i am going to give it a chance.

What about everyone else?

Comments

• Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who liked Happy Hour, I think this will flop big time. I seen a clip on The One Show and IMO it looks horrible.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the first couple of seasons of Happy Hour, but I can't say I'll be wanting to watch this. All I've seen is a still in the TV Guide and that was enough.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    As someone who liked Happy Hour, I think this will flop big time. I seen a clip on The One Show and IMO it looks horrible.

Two reasons why this will flop:

1 - stand-up/general entertainer seeking to push new boundaries and move into sketch comedy has almost without exception been a failure every time it's been tried

2 - it's on ITV1
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've seen a trailer for this, will give it a miss i think :eek:

:D
  • Options
    Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably record it as the clip, along with what i saw on One Show, don't give the impression that it's something worth staying in for. Sketch shows usually take a bit of time to get into though, as we need to get to know the characters, so might be a slow burner.

I think Al's Pub Landlord character is a great comic creation and have been to see his stand-up shows several times over the years (much funnier as a stand-up than a chat show host/ sit-com character imho) so hopefully there's a couple more gems in this show.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will anyone be watching?

No. I saw a publicity photo in the tv guide with him as a gay nazi in pink, a bumbling dad who "loves sex" (from the article next to it), and some other crap.

I dont find him that talented or entertaining in the landlord guise, so I shall quite happily give this a miss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    i went to the pilot recording of this show early last year and was really good and it is great to see him outside the pub landlord (who i still think is a great character) and really does have some good material in this show. I am definatly gonna watch this from what i saw from the recording
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to give it a try, we need more comedy on a Friday night from ITV
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Looks like he's trying to do a Harry Enfield.

Al Murray is renowned for doing a single character, the Pub Landlord, and doing it well, in a variety of different formats (live shows, Happy Hour, Time Gentlemen Please, etc). This move into a multiple-character sketch format looks like a HUGE risk for him!
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to two recordings some things were really funny and others were a bit of a flop. it should be good.
  • Options
    aussiewantsaps2aussiewantsaps2 Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be a disaster! Hope its funny but on paper looks a bad idea. ITV cant do this comedy lark anymore.
  • Options
    LadyFluffLadyFluff Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Really not impressed with the spiel I've seen so far. Surely the idea of the big gay Nazi isn't funny, given the number of gays who were killed in the holocaust? (I realise not on the same scale as the Jews). 'Allo, 'Allo did it before (though not so outrageously "kamp" (as I've seen it described this week)), but those were different times - I thought we'd maybe progressed a bit. Can't see so-called 'comedy' writers thinking it was funny if they'd put a Jewish character, or a gypsy character in place of the gay one, and I doubt that if they had that it would have been broadcast...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,134
    Forum Member
    Hello:)

This.Looks.Bloody.Awful.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since his biggest and most popular character isn't a roaring success on ITV...I can't see this new turn doing much either which is a shame because I quite like Al Murray as Al Murray
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I really like Al Murray, and I can't help thinking that this won't exactly be brilliant - but I'm going to keep an open mind, and see if he can pull his new characters off. Maybe he'll be like Harry Enfield at his height with big populist cartoon characters - sadly, I think the possibility of him sucking is more likely...

But let's wait and see!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him as the pub landlord but the clips from this show didn't seem very good, I might give it a try but I don't hold out much hope that I'll enjoy it.
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm deffinatly be willing to give it a go!
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Really not impressed with the spiel I've seen so far. Surely the idea of the big gay Nazi isn't funny, given the number of gays who were killed in the holocaust? (I realise not on the same scale as the Jews). 'Allo, 'Allo did it before (though not so outrageously "kamp" (as I've seen it described this week)), but those were different times - I thought we'd maybe progressed a bit. Can't see so-called 'comedy' writers thinking it was funny if they'd put a Jewish character, or a gypsy character in place of the gay one, and I doubt that if they had that it would have been broadcast...

:rolleyes:

Oh ffs...

'The greatest tragedy about Nazi Germany is that no one there ever felt the need to laugh at and ridicule those in power. Perhaps if they had, history may have been different...'

--Frankie Howerd, 1977.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be watching the repeat screening on Monday at 10.35.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw the mobile phone store sketch on This Morning and it was really funny.

Well i found it funny anyway
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's something about this bloke which really annoys me.

I've seen some clips and he's just shouting his way through it, as per usual.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al Murray seems to think that to be funny you have to SHOUT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just a remind for people, starts soon
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope I'm wrong but if it's like very other sketch show I imagine only episode 1 will be worth watching. Every other episode, with the exception of maybe different locations, will no doubt contain the exact same sketches, the exact characters, exact same jokes & exact same punclines.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That doesn't sound like a "real" audience to me.