The Pope at Westminster

Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm watching Sky's excellent live coverage of the Pope at Westminster.

Three things I noticed:

1. Where's Dave?

Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Hague and Cleggy were all there - sitting together in the front row. They all had a few words with the Pope after his speech. Where was our Prime Minister?

2. Blair can't look Brown in the eye (pardon the pun)

Blair and Brown looked very awkward sitting next to each other as the Pope delivered his address. They couldn't look at each other. The body language was tense and cold. There's no doubt now, Brown utterly hates Blair.

3. Squeaker Bercow

The man gave a fine speech, welcoming the Pope to Westminster Hall. He did us proud. Well done Sir.

Comments

• Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Where's Dave?

Isnt it his Dads funeral today ?
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of that. :o

Well, that's perfectly understandable.

I mentioned it as it did look very odd to have all our former Prime Ministers in Westminster Hall but no sign of David Cameron.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I bet Clegg is having to bite his tongue while the Pope is here spouting rubbish. It seems the Pope is attempting to get all the religions to combine forces against 'secularism'. I use quotes because what he means by the term isn't what's in the dictionary. They just want us to return to a state of ignorance and making laws based on religious doctrine rather than what is fair and just.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    They just want us to return to a state of ignorance and making laws based on religious doctrine rather than what is fair and just.

Well to be fair anything else is turkeys voting for Christmas I guess.

I did like this quote ....
    Pope Benedict XVI warned that there were some people who wanted to see "the voice of religion be silenced".

Kinda like the Catholic church used to do to science.... Whats comes around etc etc...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cleggy is an intelligent, polite, respectful man.

Why wouldn't he bite his tongue? He's not going to start mouthing off at the Pope is he!

I think it's great to see the most prominent figures of the Catholic Church, the Church of England and the Church of Scotland together at Westminster Abbey.

Just a few decades ago, this would've been unthinkable.
  • PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member

If he were that he would have attempted a Citizens Arrest of the pope on the grounds that he harboured and aided child molesters in avoiding the law.
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Kinda like the Catholic church used to do to science.... Whats comes around etc etc...

That's what really annoys me most about this guy. All this nonsense about being silenced and yet his visit has been covered on a massive scale by the likes of the BBC and Sky.

All that's actually happened is that people are now free to be critical of what his church and others say and that's what they don't like. They want absolute and unquestioned power and anything else is unacceptable. Any more minor religions that side with the pope's lot against secularism are fools. Do they really think that the pope wouldn't start on them if that battle was won?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know he's not speaking in his native language but this Pope is rubbish at public speaking! :(
    Forum Member
    Windy999 wrote: »
    I know he's not speaking in his native language but this Pope is rubbish at public speaking! :(

When I heard him talk yesterday from his throne it was just strange, as if he was rambling away to his grandchildren. Perhaps that's how it's supposed to be? Not exactly going to compete with a gospel preacher from the US though :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's actually much better than he used to be.

The strong almost "Allo Allo" style German accent doesn't help of course, and he does seem to talk very fast in English.

He's a bookish, intelligent, quiet man isn't he? Not a showman like Pope John Paul The Second was.

I respect Pope Benedict, but someone needs to tell him to shorten his speeches. They're far too long.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just a few decades ago, this would've been unthinkable

Quite so. I'm very glad from that point of view.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Cameron has better things to do but waste his time with trivialities like the Pope on the day of his dad's funeral. Even if it was not his dad's funeral I would not blame him even then for not being there.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's great to see the most prominent figures of the Catholic Church, the Church of England and the Church of Scotland together at Westminster Abbey.

Just a few decades ago, this would've been unthinkable.

I just can't imagine why Ian Paisley wasn't invited! :rolleyes:

I'm not religious in the slightest but it was a very impressive and historic event.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When all had left, Brown probably got up and sat where Blair had been seated as everyone else deserted the room he finally had the seat that he thought should have been rightfully his in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at parliament square when the pope came out on his pope-mobile at 6pm. Was pretty good to see.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aaa123 wrote: »
    I was at parliament square when the pope came out on his pope-mobile at 6pm. Was pretty good to see.

What to see someone in a white car that sounds really good.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    What to see someone in a white car that sounds really good.:eek:

It wasn't just someone, it was the Pope.

It was an historic day today.

Have some respect for the man - even if you don't agree with his religion or some of his beliefs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Speaker did a pretty good speech I thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't just someone, it was the Pope.

It was an historic day today.

Have some respect for the man - even if you don't agree with his religion or some of his beliefs.

I agree. I have no time for Mr Pope and his religion, but you have to recognise genuinely historic events when they happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    Mr Speaker did a pretty good speech I thought.

Bercow may be a bit of a twerp but at least he can speak well in public which you would think is a fairly fundamental requirement of a job of Speaker. Can you imagine his predecessor doing the same?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

My mum reckons he hasn't got much charisma.
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he did ok. He's an old man giving a speech in a foreign language.In a country where there are more atheists or Anglicans than Catholics. He appeared humble but dignified. Perfectly acceptable and far better, in my opinion, than if he'd had given a fire and brimstone speech.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching Sky's excellent live coverage of the Pope at Westminster.

Three things I noticed:

1. Where's Dave?

Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Hague and Cleggy were all there - sitting together in the front row. They all had a few words with the Pope after his speech. Where was our Prime Minister?

2. Blair can't look Brown in the eye (pardon the pun)

Blair and Brown looked very awkward sitting next to each other as the Pope delivered his address. They couldn't look at each other. The body language was tense and cold. There's no doubt now, Brown utterly hates Blair.

3. Squeaker Bercow

The man gave a fine speech, welcoming the Pope to Westminster Hall. He did us proud. Well done Sir.

Before the Pope arrived, Brown and Blair were chatting away. It didn't look too awkward, but Brown did all the talking.