Options

Upstairs Downstairs & the BBC obsession with 'equality'

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a big fuss made about the BBC's Oliver Twist having a black Nancy when they cast Sophie Okonedo in the role. I didn't see why people got so annoyed by it...I don't think it's inconceivable that there would have been black women in Nancy's situation in Victorian London. Okonedo is a brilliant actress, too, so I don't see why she didn't deserve the part.

Though I do agree that sometimes it does seem like the BBC go out of their way to be all-inculsive regardless of how logical it would be, I think getting your knickers in a twist before you even see the programme is daft.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Squire wrote: »
    Just had a look at some preview (might have been the TV TImes?) & the new family at Eaton Place have a secretary who wears a turban.......it;s set in 1920's London....
    I would bet on him being one of the most stable & likeable characters in the show, hardly putting a foot wrong while all the misdameanours are left to other characters....
    You just KNEW the BBC would have to give the line-up an 'ethnic' tweak when they brought this show back......

The idea of an upper class woman taking on a trusted Indian servant in the 1920s is as ridiculous as if it had been set in the 19th century.:mad:Equality eh?:rolleyes: But oh wait, one of Queen Victoria's favourite servants in ENGLAND was an Indian named Abdul Karim. Abdul " became a confidant in the way that few other than Henry Ponsoby her (Queen Victoria's) private secretary for three decades and her physician James Reid, did." :cool:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/empire/episodes/episode_66.shtml
  • Options
    GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wooden Keeley Hawes casted- yuck! Won't bother :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    I know we should really wait to see it first before we criticise, but I fear that the criticisms expressed here will probably be well-founded.

I wish the BBC would do drama about people, not stereotypes. The BBC sometimes gives the impression of being a Sunday school teacher, reading the children morally improving stories to make them into good citizens.

I want more Poliakoff.
    I also think they're in the habit of doing this. Maybe they've got the idea they're the country's moral arbiters, but I suspect there's also something in their charter about it.

A bit like the criticism about dumbing down. I think in the latest charter renewal there was an injunction to be less 'worthy' and more entertaining, so that's what they're doing.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xRHBx wrote: »
    It amuses me to no end that the people frothing at the mouth about PC are being swiftly shot down on every point.

Political Correctness can go and take a running jump as far as I am concerned - it has ruined British TV big time.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Political Correctness can go and take a running jump as far as I am concerned - it has ruined British TV big time.

Cheers for you interest in this matter.
    You've clearly given this thread and the contributions thus far, fair consideration.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »

No such thing as 'political correctness'.

It's a term used by the dim with no real argument.....

People like you probably object to seeing black people etc on TV - and the fact that they are no longer refered to, when on that medium, in insulting terms.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget when they brought back Auf Weiderchein Pet, Wayne's son was black......they just cant leave it alone......
    I dont object to any race being on the telly, but I do object to an organisation we pay for (without being given any choice) taking this stance about 'equality' & ramming it down our throats at every opportunity.......And interesting to note that the sikh in Upstairs is referred to as 'Mr' rather than by his surname, unlike the rest of the servants....
  • Options
    ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    yeah bloody bbc, they should at least make an all-white version for the racist dick-head audience.
  • Options
    AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC certainly are often guilty of over-emphasising 'diversity' issues, but , for me, 'Mr Amanjit' turned out to be one of the best and warmest characters in 'Upstairs, Downstairs' and it seemed perfectly reasonable that he was an important member of the somewhat eccentric Lady Holland's personal household as she had spent so much of her life in India.
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not have a problem with Mr Amanjit, he fitted in well to the storyline, where the programme went wrong was trying to stuff too many ideas in at the same time and forgetting to make the characters act as though they were in 1936. The footman who was responsible for another man having glass in his neck would not have been talked out of the bathroom treated kindly and sympathetically and let back in after his stint in Borstal. This may happen in Jeremy Kyle world but not in Eaton Square in the 30s. The other sub stories were equally stilted and did smack of the producers trying to drive a message of sorts home.
    If the show had not been named after the wonderful Upstairs Downstairs I would have ignored it; but it was self indulgent tripe (IMO).