RIP Sandy Martin

Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some very sad news today that former GWR FM and BBC Wiltshire presenter Sandy Martin has died at the age of 53.

He was taken ill at the beginning of November and diagnosed with a brain tumour.

RIP Sandy - loved your Friday night Disco Trekkin' shows on GWR in the 80s and 90s and it was a pleasure to know you in the 00s.

Comments

• wilts_ianwilts_ian Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Sandy.

On my first visit to the Lime Kiln, his was the first presenter card that I got and had signed.
  • Germany boundGermany bound Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was also featured on the BBC points west local news at 13:30pm
    Should be on again at 6:30pm
  • WBOYWBOY Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Some very sad news today that former GWR FM and BBC Wiltshire presenter Sandy Martin has died at the age of 53.

He was taken ill at the beginning of November and diagnosed with a brain tumour.

RIP Sandy - loved your Friday night Disco Trekkin' shows on GWR in the 80s and 90s and it was a pleasure to know you in the 00s.
    Oh no :(

Thanks for posting the news Simon. I worked with Sandy 'Bad Boy' Martin in Swindon from '91-'94 and was an absolute pleasure to work with. He used to put so much prep into the Bacardi Club Chart (which if I remember also went out of 2-Ten and 2CR in the early 90's).

Very very sad news. Thanks for everything Sandy. You will be greatly missed. Condolences to the family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I too am lucky to have known Sandy Martin. Quite simply, the most positive outlook I have ever known in a human being. His infectious personality rubbed off on everyone around him - from celebs to the man in the street. He just loved people and will be sorely missed by so many.

My thoughts are with Sarah and his family, but also to all at BBC Wiltshire. He leaves a gap which cannot be replaced.

The tribute by Steve Knibbs on Points West is now online and is first class:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-12784982

RIP ol' son.
    Hope they have some decent seventies disco/funk up there.
    And if they do, I know who'll be behind the console
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when he did his first show on Wiltshire Radio.

I always wondered how he came to be on Swindon.

Anyone know where in Scotland he was from and what brought him south in the first place?
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WBOY wrote: »
    He used to put so much prep into the Bacardi Club Chart (which if I remember also went out of 2-Ten and 2CR in the early 90's).

Yeah, I used to play the show in at 2CR. I never met Sandy, but he sounded great on the Bacardi Beat - he made the show sound massive.

RIP.

# Na-na-na-na Sandy Martin na-na-na-na Sandy Martin na-na-na-na Sandy Martin o-o-o-o-on your radio! #
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when he did his first show on Wiltshire Radio.

I always wondered how he came to be on Swindon.

Anyone know where in Scotland he was from and what brought him south in the first place?

I worked at Wiltshire radio in the early eighties. Met Sandy there and have always regarded him as a professional and a gentleman. As some would say, 'a proper bloke' I think prior to WR he was well known at the Brunel rooms in Swindon.

I knew Sandy wasn't well, But it's still very sad news.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible news. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    oh no Sandy...a true blokie. you made me feel at home when i started brecky for classic gold in swindon...even gave me a pressy, sandy martin sun glasses. still got em matey. rest well
    chris napier
  • fiesatafiesata Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    More here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/12789449

Didn't know him personally but it's always tragic when someone so well liked passes on at such a young age - thoughts are with his family

RIP Sandy

Many are sad to hear of your passing :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    RIP Sandy a sad loss to the radio and the DJ Scene of many years ago. Thoughts with all of Sandy's friends and family at this sad time.

I knew of Sandy because he was originally from my neck of the woods in Dundee where he was resident DJ of a club called Samantha's/Bloomers along with the Stage Door Bar. Sandy also won a local DJ contest for Tayside a couple of years in a row about 1980 - 82 I think.

Heard a few things about Sandy via my ex-boss who kept in touch with him over the years which were always good. A real sad loss and managed to hear Sandy a few times online as well as down south when working there. No doubt Sandy will be up there with a few other local DJ's from my area he knew who also died very young a sad loss as I said to the broadcasting and DJ/Nightclub industry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he ever do any radio in Scotland? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some great clips of sandy here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member

Not 100% sure on that one Miles but he may have been involved with TocH Radio Tayside which was the hospital radio then because my ex-boss was heavily involved at one time there.

I think he might have also guested on the disco programme that was on Radio Tay back then too but not 100% sure on that one either. If I find anything out I will let you know. Sad sad loss to all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please do.
    Forum Member

I don't think he did. I seem to recall he once said he deejayed in Dundee, but came south for the club gig. I think the radio came later.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC Wiltshire website says Sandy's funeral will be held at Christ Church in Swindon's Old Town on 6th April at 1.30pm and is open to all.
    Forum Member
    For those who weren't there, it was the perfect send-off for a great guy. Several hundred were there, and a large slice of the radio industry was there.

Well done to the Swindon Adver on an excellent write-up. Too often, we give the papers a hard time for their handling of some stories, but they got this absolutely right. Well done.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8958535.People_of_Swindon_bid_farewell_to_much_loved_DJ_Sandy_Martin/

Also - congratulation to Steve Knibbs on excellent TV reporting:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-12983009

The end of an era, but one man who will never be forgotten. RIP Sandy.