Options

Falling for a friend.......has it ever happened to you?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JakeXYJakeXY Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    My girlfriend of four years started out as one of my closest friends. We met on the very first day of first school and remained good friends up until a little over four years ago when we started dating when we were both 19. It was when I was 18 that I really started to feel differently towards her, but I intially put it down to me missing her company due to being at a different university. It was during the first Christmas break that my feelings started to grow even stronger for her. She brought home her new boyfriend to meet our group of friends and her family and I just remember feeling so crushed that this guy got to be with her in a way that I started to long for. On one hand, I was pleased for her because she seemed really happy, but on the other hand, I just remember it feeling like someone had ripped my heart out of my chest every time I would see them together or she would talk about him. Anyway, time went on and a group of us ended going on holiday together during the first summer from university, but it turned into a bit of a disaster when my friend's boyfriend ended up cheating on her with another girl before flying home early by himself.

Cut a long story short, she started to see him again, but they broke up when she finally realised what an utter waste of space he was. It had come to a point where I just didn’t want to see her get hurt anymore, and I knew that I would never hurt her like that. I finally told her how I felt when I went to visit her at university towards the end of the same year. I tried to keep it myself, I tried to forget about it because I didn't want to ruin anything or make things awkward, but it just got to the point where my feelings towards her had become too strong. I remember sitting in her bedroom waiting for her to finish getting ready so we could go out, and she walked into the room looking so beautiful, and I just told her straight out that I loved her, she laughed and told me that she loved me too but I ended up telling her everything. The first thing she did was just stare at me before picking up a pillow and smacking me with it, which I thought was because I'd made things awkward, but she just shouted "All this time!" and “You didn’t think to tell me!”. She ended sitting down and telling me how much she'd liked me since we were 16 but didn't want to say anything because she didn't think I felt the same way. Like I said earlier, we’ve been dating for four years and there is no doubt in my mind that she is the one that I want to spend the rest of my life with. I think deep down I liked her more than a friend when I was in my mid-teens, I guess I just put it down to my hormones running wild, ha ha.

I know I mentioned that I was always worried about ruining the friendship me and my girlfriend had before we started dating, but I think if a friendship is truly strong and has both trust and respect behind it then it can survive a lot. This will probably sound incredibly naive and cheesy, but choices have to be made. Your heart knows the truth. Trust it, life is short.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Aw JakeXY, that's such a sweet and lovely story. Bless your hearts. I hope you and your girlfriend live happily ever after.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakeXY wrote: »
    My girlfriend of four years started out as one of my closest friends. We met on the very first day of first school and remained good friends up until a little over four years ago when we started dating when we were both 19. It was when I was 18 that I really started to feel differently towards her, but I intially put it down to me missing her company due to being at a different university. It was during the first Christmas break that my feelings started to grow even stronger for her. She brought home her new boyfriend to meet our group of friends and her family and I just remember feeling so crushed that this guy got to be with her in a way that I started to long for. On one hand, I was pleased for her because she seemed really happy, but on the other hand, I just remember it feeling like someone had ripped my heart out of my chest every time I would see them together or she would talk about him. Anyway, time went on and a group of us ended going on holiday together during the first summer from university, but it turned into a bit of a disaster when my friend's boyfriend ended up cheating on her with another girl before flying home early by himself.

Cut a long story short, she started to see him again, but they broke up when she finally realised what an utter waste of space he was. It had come to a point where I just didn’t want to see her get hurt anymore, and I knew that I would never hurt her like that. I finally told her how I felt when I went to visit her at university towards the end of the same year. I tried to keep it myself, I tried to forget about it because I didn't want to ruin anything or make things awkward, but it just got to the point where my feelings towards her had become too strong. I remember sitting in her bedroom waiting for her to finish getting ready so we could go out, and she walked into the room looking so beautiful, and I just told her straight out that I loved her, she laughed and told me that she loved me too but I ended up telling her everything. The first thing she did was just stare at me before picking up a pillow and smacking me with it, which I thought was because I'd made things awkward, but she just shouted "All this time!" and “You didn’t think to tell me!”. She ended sitting down and telling me how much she'd liked me since we were 16 but didn't want to say anything because she didn't think I felt the same way. Like I said earlier, we’ve been dating for four years and there is no doubt in my mind that she is the one that I want to spend the rest of my life with. I think deep down I liked her more than a friend when I was in my mid-teens, I guess I just put it down to my hormones running wild, ha ha.

I know I mentioned that I was always worried about ruining the friendship me and my girlfriend had before we started dating, but I think if a friendship is truly strong and has both trust and respect behind it then it can survive a lot. This will probably sound incredibly naive and cheesy, but choices have to be made. Your heart knows the truth. Trust it, life is short.

Ahhhhh, this made me smile.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    It's happening to me right now funnily enough and, err... it's kind of ruining my life!
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    felixrex wrote: »
    It's happening to me right now funnily enough and, err... it's kind of ruining my life!
    What do you mean?
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boyfriend and I had been friends for 6 years before getting together. I'd carried a torch for him for the whole time, though he admits he liked me in that way too, he was hesitant to move the relationship on because we lived quite far apart, and also didn't want to lose the friendship if it didn't work out. I persevered though and we got together two years ago after going on holiday together:)