America's Next Top Model Cycle 21 (US Pace)

meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
Forum Member
Now that there doesn't seem to be a Top Model section this thread might disappear and I'll end up just talking to myself.

The series started yesterday, now it's time to start deciding if you do actually like the person whose pictures you've been fantarding over for months.

Not a bad premiere episode, glad Miss J is back.
But sheesh, so much for hoping the guys wouldn't be a bunch of obnoxious douches again. No wonder male models aren't as prominent if they always act like cocky self-obsessed He-Men whose main motivation is picking up the female models. Give me the skinnier more androgynous male models any day of the week.

Lenox is my fave, she has the adorkable high fashion look and personality that instantly draws me in.

Whereas Adam, ugh he's every bad cliche you fear about male models *claws eyes out* I actually hope he's putting it on so that he becomes too laughable to take seriously.

Now we have to wait a whole week to see who makes it to the final line-up, even though we know it already. Ooo suspenseful.

Comments

• ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love having MIss Jay back :D
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    I wish they ditched Kelly Cutrone though
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Corey. Not keen on any of the girls tbh.
  • riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love having MIss Jay back :D

agreed. I like this line up.

Does anyone know if bryan boy is back this series?
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Bryanboy isn't coming back this cycle.
    Not sure who's doing the social media stuff, but it's not like we need anyone anyway. His role did seem fairly pointless, especially as some of his critique didn't really make sense in relation to the fan scores.

This was an okay episode. I enjoyed the group shot.
    Not really sure why Tyra had to do the call-out order like that though.
    I kind of like Yu's raspy tone of voice, though it may start to grate in time.

Not really sure about some of the choices that got through, but then again the alternatives weren't that great either. Jamie Rae saying it was a joke, erm you were late and you had a meltdown when you were asked to remove your make-up.
    Plus I wasn't really bothered about Danny, he came back with the wrong attitude. Anyone that says that they are as far away from cocky as you could get is usually pretty cocky to make such a bold claim in my experience.

I'm starting to think that the males lusting after the females is just them looking for a storyline and camera-time, especially with Kelly going around finding out who fancies who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kinda wanted Jamie to be around just for the make over and getting her blonde locks chopped off :D

Glad Danny didn't make it, so we didn't have to sit through Danny vs Romeo every episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still hate the points system they do for the photos because Tyra just gives off high marks for all the ones she wants to stay so it doesn't matter what Miss Jay and Kelly give.

Love every time Miss Jay talks about Romeo LOL :D Love Matthew, William, Lenox and Chantelle atm. Hate Mirjana.

I look forward to make overs :D
  • velixavelixa Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    This is the first year I ranked each photo before the show starts.

I predicted Keith would be first in the ALS water bucket photoshoot.
    I can see Ivy being the comeback contestant. Her portfolio improves greatly.
    Forum Member
    I thought Keith's photo was fairly over-hyped but Tyra's always lusting after the male models so it was to be expected. If a male lusted after female models like she does the males she'd be getting mad at him for viewing them as objects.

I thought Yu was a bit ridiculous shouting at Will during the photoshoot. I always think that it's the words that count when you're trying to give someone tough instructions. Yelling completely negates the words and just makes it noise.

I'm glad Will survived, the majority of the male models are very similar so Will offers some great diversity.
    I didn't agree that the males did better than the females on the shoot. Personally I thought Lenox and Mirjana owned everyone else.
    I suppose Ivy deserved to go home based on performance, but I thought Raelia, Denzel and Shei had the weakest shots.
    velixa wrote: »
    I can see Ivy being the comeback contestant. Her portfolio improves greatly.

I'm not sure we need spoiler tags for the future photoshoots because they've already been released, but just to keep with consistency incase people didn't see them and don't want to know about them yet....
    Agree about Ivy's portfolio improving, as it's pretty weak for the most part. However it might be a bit too late as the comeback happens around the time when her pictures really pick up.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Team Will this cycle so as you can imagine I was nervous last night for that result!! :p

He's so beautiful :eek:
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew Ivy was going to be eliminated within the first ten minutes of the episode. I haven't been a consistent ANTM viewer for a few cycles now, but I really don't remember the boot ever being made that obvious! (And I've seen absolutely no spoilers btw, I didn't even anticipate watching this season until the other day!) :p

Just to add to the "what constitutes a spoiler" discussion, as someone who has been completely oblivious to the filming and voting aspect, I personally would prefer it if people used spoiler tags, but I'm not some diva who's going to sulk if it's agreed not to :D
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand Yu Tsai. Jay Manuel and Johnny Wujek were at least mentors as well as directors. I mean Jay even had patience for Jade in cycle 6! Yu just shouts.
    Romeo is awful. Mirjana treated Matthew horribly, especially at panel.
    Chantelle is stunning. I saw her on billboards everywhere in Barcelona for the brand desigual which is a Catalan clothing and accessories brand. They sell in the UK too - I believe they have a store in the Stratford City Westfield shopping centre. Chantelle's pictures are on show as much as Adriana Lima's. This isn't a spoiler as it has nothing to do with the show.
    Oh and Adam is awful too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's cool for Chantelle. I realised in this episode that she's from Toronto (and speaks with a Canadian accent) - is she maybe the first time that we've had a non-American on the show. I know there have been a lot of other international models, but I can't recall any of them not having American citizenship/residency. Well apart from the British girls that year of course!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    That's cool for Chantelle. I realised in this episode that she's from Toronto (and speaks with a Canadian accent) - is she maybe the first time that we've had a non-American on the show. I know there have been a lot of other international models, but I can't recall any of them not having American citizenship/residency. Well apart from the British girls that year of course!

I was curious about that because I didn't know Canadians could apply but maybe things were different seeing as Tyra scouted her via Instagram.

She has a Jamaican twang to her accent too, which I heard instantly, especially knowing that there are a lot of Jamaicans in Toronto. I did a bit of internet searching and found that her parents are from there and her dad still lives there: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140225/news/news1.html

On another note,
    Romeo gets kicked out in the episode after next for breaking a rule. The episode title is "The Boy who Starts a Fight" so I guess the rule that is broken is that he either uses or threatens physical violence. I really dislike him.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Omg nooooo Romeo is one of my favourites but he deserves to leave if he was fighting with someone. He probably wouldn't have won anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the latest episode, shocked who went as I thought they'd be around for a long time.

I love Shei's makeover the most, it really suits her. Kari's is awful, makes her look incredibly cheap and oh my what were they thinking with that beard weave!!! Look's so stupid.

Will and Matthew are my favourites and the guys and Mirjana judging them were awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it either. But the strop she threw when she thought she was getting a shaved head was childish.

IMO the good makeovers were Adam's, Ben's, Mirjana's, Chantelle's, Matthew's and Lennox'. Shei looks weird with one black eyebrow and there's no way that will work in the industry. Karl's hair is yellow and not blonde - therein lies the problem. Beard weave is probably Tyra's worst idea to date. And I'm getting a little bored of the words booch, tooch, tyover, smize, modelling from h2t, etc. Every time they are said I cringe.
    Mirjana's behaviour is a bit dodgy and Matthew is allowing her to get into his head way too much.
    Yu Tsai seriously needs to stop with the shouting. He yelled at Denzel and when Denzel got angry he asked if he's ok. What the?

I miss old antm when they'd do challenges in judging.
    Forum Member
    Was a surprising bottom two. The edit made Chantelle seem a bit cocky this week and she looked pretty mad she was eliminated.
    I thought she did have one of the worst pictures though, along with Adam, Romeo and Denzel.
    I felt there was too much emphasis on Kari's lack of neck. Think Tyra should have brought up Kari's makeover breakdown aswell as her picture really wasn't that bad.
    Apart from that I thought the judges comments were very on-point, they echoed alot of my thoughts about the pictures.
    Ben's shot was probably the most interesting one, apart from his face was a bit off I thought.

Not sure about Denzel's beard weave yet but overall the makeovers were good.
    Hmmm at the DNA test? But it sounds pretty interesting, I wonder what they're going to do with the results.

Anyone who's seen all the photoshoots will know....
    Romeo's pictures stop after the 3rd one, so he must quit or be disqualified or something and not take part in any more photoshoots. Wonder what drama will cause this next week?
    Forum Member
    Fair play to Matthew. I had to agree with the judges in the last episode that he came across rather dull, but he was certainly digging a bit of Will this episode.

I think the opening credits are a marked improvement on the last few cycles (still hate the tune though). Shei and Lenox closing it off with the hairflips is great.

Will recaps the episodes on his youtube channel. This episode is still yet to go up but in last week's he said that during the wet photoshoot, Tyra was behind the scenes but they had to pretend that she wasn't there and only communicate with Yu. But Chantelle ignored this as she was concerned about her dreadlocked hair getting wet and went up to ask Tyra about it which annoyed both Tyra and Yu.
    Could have been the starting point of why things turned against her so quickly. They didn't show any of that in last week's episode though.
  • riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was a surprising bottom two. The edit made Chantelle seem a bit cocky this week and she looked pretty mad she was eliminated.
    I thought she did have one of the worst pictures though, along with Adam, Romeo and Denzel.
    I felt there was too much emphasis on Kari's lack of neck. Think Tyra should have brought up Kari's makeover breakdown aswell as her picture really wasn't that bad.
    Apart from that I thought the judges comments were very on-point, they echoed alot of my thoughts about the pictures.
    Ben's shot was probably the most interesting one, apart from his face was a bit off I thought.

Not sure about Denzel's beard weave yet but overall the makeovers were good.
    Hmmm at the DNA test? But it sounds pretty interesting, I wonder what they're going to do with the results.

Anyone who's seen all the photoshoots will know....
    Romeo's pictures stop after the 3rd one, so he must quit or be disqualified or something and not take part in any more photoshoots. Wonder what drama will cause this next week?

The makeovers were good. I know not of people like Shei's makeover but I do...

I don't know what Tyra was thinking about Denzel's beard...:o:D You could see where it was stuck to his face haha. But to be fair in later photos, you it does look like the beard belongs to him.

This week, the person who deserved to go left. Their picture felt and looked so tense.
    Someone in a post above said that he gets kicked off the show because he starts a fight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so surprised at how good Adam looked after his makeover! He's annoying as hell and he's far to short, but that haircut was such an improvement. To be honest, I thought most of the guys had decent makeovers (let's not talk about that beard!) but some of the girls were horrible!

I was genuinely surprised that Chantelle went this early in the competition, not because I was particularly a fan, but because she seemed like the type of contestant who tends to get dragged through to the later rounds, regardless of how good or bad they have been doing. I can't say I was particularly that bothered that she went though - without her skin pigment thingy, I think she'd be very middle of the road.
    Forum Member
    Only on ANTM would an obvious model like Lenox have the chance of being eliminated against short frat guy Adam. Fortunately, thanks to Romeo it was a non elim, which is probably why Tyra went so dramatic about it. Got to chase those ratings!

Kind of a disappointing Romeo/Adam fight really, nothing more than a head nudge. It was right to remove him though, plus hopefully others can get some camera-time now.
    Tyra's hard-on for Adam is already getting old but to give him some credit he seems to be getting more mature recently.

Not sure if it was fair that Ben won the challenge. He didn't have someone to hold on to, but at the same time I feel like the distraction of another person can be very off-putting on the stilts and he was just free to do his own thing while the others weren't.

It seems silly that the judges scored on the commercials while the fans only had a picture to go on. People like Will and Raelia did great at both, but Mirjana's picture was incredibly poor but the judges loved her commercial. So it threw the scores off somewhat.
    lol Despite getting a 1 from Tyra, Lenox's score was still pretty close to Adam. If Tyra had given her a 4 or more then Adam would have been lowest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    The makeovers were... special weren't they? Shei (sp?) with the black and white hair just looks utterly ridiculous and as for that fake beard on Denzel LOLz. I can't remember the girls name but the one who was crying about going too blonde and looking like a stripper had a point. She looked WAY better with dark hair. I don't understand just giving random makeovers if it doesn't suit the person you're giving them to in the first place.

Romeo being the douche that is he was no surprise exit tbh. I only wish Adam would have punched him back just so we can see the back of him too! He's the only guy I dislike this cycle, I like all the rest especially Matthew. He is probably the hottest guys on the show, but his facial expression is always the same, which is a problem.

You can tell that Chantelle thought she was going to win the entire competition and her arrogance just shone through too strongly, it hurt. Good for her though for having such a high opinion of herself, even if it is unwarranted. I mean, if it wasn't for her condition, she is a very pedestrian looking girl.

So glad Rob Evans is gone, he was far too biased towards certain models over others and his critiques were about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Bryanboy was also useless, so I am glad he is gone too, but for the love of God, why keep Kelly Cutrone? She oozes bitterness and you can tell she gets off on having some form of power over these young, gorgeous people. It's actually rather sad to watch. She's a little bit like that new photographer Yu. He is no Mr Jay or Johnny! Where's Johnny?! If Yu had shouted at me like he did to Denzel, I wouldn't have been so restrained. No job is worth taking crap off some douche like him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only on ANTM would an obvious model like Lenox have the chance of being eliminated against short frat guy Adam. Fortunately, thanks to Romeo it was a non elim, which is probably why Tyra went so dramatic about it. Got to chase those ratings!

Kind of a disappointing Romeo/Adam fight really, nothing more than a head nudge. It was right to remove him though, plus hopefully others can get some camera-time now.

lol Despite getting a 1 from Tyra, Lenox's score was still pretty close to Adam. If Tyra had given her a 4 or more then Adam would have been lowest.

tyra banks makes so many stupid decisions and this was definitely in the top 5 of all time. she knows lenox is poplar with the fans so she knew the only chance she had to eliminate her was by giving her a 1.

romeo and adam was very minor. romeo deserved to be eliminated but the entire plot was given away: from the episode title 'the boy who starts a fight', to the description 'one model breaks a house rule', to the episode trailer which showed romeo headbutting adam. there was nothing more to it than that. i was expecting the headbutt to be a part of a bigger fight.

denzel and mirjana is tiring now. hopefully one of them goes next week.
    sootysoo wrote: »
    The makeovers were... special weren't they? Shei (sp?) with the black and white hair just looks utterly ridiculous and as for that fake beard on Denzel LOLz. I can't remember the girls name but the one who was crying about going too blonde and looking like a stripper had a point. She looked WAY better with dark hair. I don't understand just giving random makeovers if it doesn't suit the person you're giving them to in the first place.

So glad Rob Evans is gone, he was far too biased towards certain models over others and his critiques were about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Bryanboy was also useless, so I am glad he is gone too, but for the love of God, why keep Kelly Cutrone? She oozes bitterness and you can tell she gets off on having some form of power over these young, gorgeous people. It's actually rather sad to watch. She's a little bit like that new photographer Yu. He is no Mr Jay or Johnny! Where's Johnny?! If Yu had shouted at me like he did to Denzel, I wouldn't have been so restrained. No job is worth taking crap off some douche like him.

i don't see the need for makeovers when models are fine as they are. i find the unnatural looking makeovers quite limiting, e.g. the half black half white hair. it is a LOOK and designers will either love it or hate it. it's not a blank canvas as it should be. but we already know this isn't a modelling contest so... LOL. let's not go there.

rob evans came off as homophobic last cycle with cory. perhaps homophobic is too strong but i could see he was fed up of cory's femininity time after time. bryan boy was embarrassing. wow. i need to know what goes on in tyra's head. and you're right about yu tsai. on the first episode when he said he called matthew 'matt' and matthew said, "my name is matthew", he tried to give matthew the whole, "i'm the photographer, don't disrespect me" thing. miss j alexander called him out and said, "but his name is matthew, not matt." i was so glad. if you call me rebecca when my name is sarah i'm going to say something, no matter who you are! kelly's critique is useless and unconstructive, for example for his illusion photo, she told matthew that he looks like an over-sized nanny who has just stolen a scooter. :confused: i will leave it at that.
    Forum Member
    ^ agree about Kelly's critique, there was a time when she was very straight-forward. Now it's like she tries too hard. When confronted with a picture she'll say something like 'to me you look like a bored housewife riding a giraffe to the moon'.
    The model's like - :confused: with an expression that says 'I don't really know what to do with that???'

A few other thoughts on the last episode....
    I can sympathize with Lenox about not feeling sexy, but then I remembered that this was her first shot of the cycle....
    http://rtvgames.com/showimages/antm21/lenox.png
    so then I'm like, okay maybe if she did try then she could nail it.
    Then again, the judges weren't that keen on this shot so maybe that knocked Lenox's confidence.

Yu's annoying me with his constant yelling, however it sounds like he's doing it on purpose to really test them if they can handle any sort of distraction. Heard he's really nice to them when he's not directing the shoots.
    So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Especially the way he complimented Lenox during the challenge, whereas Tyra would have likely kept her grudge going and found another way to put her down.

Also, I think I get why they didn't let the fans see the commercials in order to score them. Last cycle they had a commercial in male/female pairs and managed to get away with it by having the eliminated contestants together (since it was 1 male & 1 female). This cycle two girls have been eliminated so they may have been planning to put each one with a guy still in the competition rather than eachother (a girl on girl thing wouldn't have worked I don't think). But then the Will/Matthew thing happened and the producers probably wanted to cash-in on that storyline by putting them together, leaving Chantelle/Ivy without anyone to work with. So maybe they just decided not to show the commercials because it would have given away who was eliminated.
    Chantelle and Ivy probably had a picture so people wouldn't know who had been eliminated, but maybe they didn't have a commercial as the pairs didn't match up properly.