Lap top v desk top

LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a desk top, its been going like the clappers for the past 8 years, when this one dies on me I reckon I will get another. Lap tops seem very convenient - ie using them anywhere in the house, but to my way of thinking, they don't seem to last as long. Some members of my family have had 5 lap tops in the same length of time I have had mine.

I am sure some one will tell me I am wrong, but I like my desk top. I can sit here with a drink, my cigs, lighter etc. all spread out and still be comfy.

Comments

• lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    If you don't need the portability, then a desk top is a better choice and you generally get much more for your money.

A desk top is also far better for your neck and back, which is important as you become older.
  • LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote: »
    If you don't need the portability, then a desk top is a better choice and you generally get much more for your money.

A desk top is also far better for your neck and back, which is important as you become older.

Which one do you have I know, I know I am nosey
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    I have a desk top, its been going like the clappers for the past 8 years, when this one dies on me I reckon I will get another. Lap tops seem very convenient - ie using them anywhere in the house, but to my way of thinking, they don't seem to last as long. Some members of my family have had 5 lap tops in the same length of time I have had mine.

I am sure some one will tell me I am wrong, but I like my desk top. I can sit here with a drink, my cigs, lighter etc. all spread out and still be comfy.

So if a laptop stops you smoking and drinking, it's giving you health benefits. ;)
  • LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    So if a laptop stops you smoking and drinking, it's giving you health benefits. ;)

OMG - I never thought of that, then again - it wouldn't stop me doing either. It is just that a desk top seems to last longer than a lap top and suits my life style:D
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never owned a laptop.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laptop batteries have to be replaced
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve got both, i use the laptop most because the desktop monitor`s no good for editing photos.
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Which one do you have I know, I know I am nosey

Despite what I've just said, I only have laptops these days for home use, because I need to travel with them. However, I have a laptop stand (which places the screen at a decent height) and a plugin keyboard and mouse - so that my laptop has the same screen and keyboard distance as a desktop.

If you don't need a computer to be portable, a desktop is better.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I have both but my desktop is practically redundant TBH. I love my lap top - it's on it's last legs but I'd much rather be curled up on my sofa than sat on a chair in front of the screen.

I'll agree they probably don't last as long though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I had a laptop until it broke three days ago I had only had it for two years. :(
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had both but when my desktop died I replaced it with an iPad. I find the iPad great for when I'm out and about, taking notes and at home, my youngest son loves the apps.

I like laptops because you can change what room you're in - if the kids are noisy or watching football or something, I can de-camp elsewhere. If one of them needs it for homework, they can take it somewhere quieter. They have X Boxes for gaming so no need for a super fast processor or sophisticated anythings.

Ive had laptops for over ten years now. The early ones died spectacularly - smoke coming out and everything. These days they seem more reliable and I insure the crap out of it, as I can't work without it.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We dont have an office at home or enough Space for an extra table/chair to house a desktop. So laptop it is.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Just for the sake of discussion, it's worth pointing out that an awful lot of people use laptop PCs these days simply because they're more convenient.

If you're a "casual" computer user then you don't really need a 24" monitor (or whatever) so, for googling and emailing and ebaying you can buy a reasonable laptop with a 17" screen for £400 and you've got something you can use on the dining table and then put away when it's not in use just by unplugging one cable.

Personally, I like to use a bigger monitor so, even if it was plugged into a laptop, I wouldn't be able to pack it away so, that being the case, I might as well buy a desktop which, in turn, means that I have something which can be continually upgraded for as long as I can be bothered.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have both, but the desktop hardly ever gets switched on any more. I've also recently invested in a tablet and that now gets more use than the laptop.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have both but rarely use the desktop .. its older works ok but not as fast as the laptop, and I like that I can take the laptop to my comfy places :) wouldnt replace my desktop now
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have both, but if I'm at home, I only use my desk top, as it's a lot more comfortable. I use the laptop when on the move.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    I had a desktop up until about 18 months ago in our study at home. We renovated that room into a second living room, and got rid of my desk and cabinets. I use a laptop for work, and just use the ipad at home, the double garage has been converted into a games room / home theatre where the consoles are.

I'm going to finish up this job on these waste plants, because even the site offices aren't the cleanest, then get myself a nice Macbook to replace this laptop.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a laptop order them over desktops been so long since I've had a desktop didn't realise they still made them lol
  • thapthapthapthap Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The desktop is upgradable but if you ensure that you get a decent processor/board/ram and graphics card from the off then you are generally away for donkeys years.
    With laptops in the main you are stuck with whatever you get from the off and you cant swap out the crap bits as time moves on.
    With a laptop you have to make sure that you get something nippy and with an Nvidia or Ati Radeon Graphics chipset - if it says on board video and doesn't list either of those two it will be no good for games, but equally useless at video including your movie files and internet video as well (you tube et al).
    When they ask you do you want it for games say yes even if you only want it for spreadsheets and looking at photos. that way you ensure you get a decent machine rather than the ones they keep aside for unsuspecting grannies without a clue.

The best bet is to take someone with you that knows about Computers so they can advise and if you have a local independent store then use that over the likes of PC world etc, half the time the staff are just sales people trying to sell as many heaps of junk as they can a month. The independent stores advise on what bits would suit you and can give you sound advice on what parts you want in your desktop.

I go to Philjonespc in Holywell (north wales) rather than PC world in Chester because I have had several excellent machines and good advice from him in the past where as my computers from the likes of PC world have almost always been cack - my laptop especially (urgh)

If you are after upgrades (graphics cards,memory sticks etc) there is a good company called Scan online that sell parts at a good price. I think they are based in Bolton but don't quote me, either way they are good.
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you call them lap tops and desk tops? :confused:
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a laptop at home. I only browse and read emails so don't need anything more. It tucks away underneath the living room table when not in use and can be brought out and woken up in ten seconds. Way better than having to get up and go to a desk.

But at work it's a desktop. I need the extra screens and the desk has other uses.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have both. Laptop is just for casual work, desktop for when I want to do something serious. I find laptop keyboards hellish, and just cannot get comfortable when working for long spells at them.

I keep copies of all data on both (done automatically every time both are logged on together) so backups are always done.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    We have a desktop tucked away in 'the study' which in reality is more like a broom cupboard. I hate sitting in there. I'm much happier sitting on the sofa with my laptop. The kids use the desktop for their homework although they both have laptops too, only cheapies though. My o/h doesn't really bother with computer stuff at home. He;s far happier tinkering in the garage or in his shed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I have both also. Both I use for work but the laptop isn't so reliable any more as the battery goes out after a short period of time. It has to constantly be hooked up to a power source, which kind of defeats the object of having a laptop to begin with. I've had it over 5 years and it's still going strong though.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Want to play proper games/want best value for money/don't mind about the fixed location = Desktop

Want portababilty with still full range of general computer options, but at a higher price = laptop

Only want to check emails/browse the web/play casual games with maximum portability = tablet

We have all three. The desktop gets by far the most use by me. The laptop by my wife and the tablet by my son.