Options

GaGa V Katy Perry Chart Battle?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
Forum Member
With both Katy Perry and Gaga releasing singles within one week of each other, who will come out on top. In the UK and WW?

Comments

• Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK wise they're now three weeks apart, Katy isn't releasing until 8th September.

Well it's bit hard predicting without hearing either songs. Both are likely to top the Billboard 100, especially with Gaga releasing the video for Applause the exact same day as the single itself. For anyone who still doesn't know - US YouTube views now count towards the American singles chart - and come premiere day, the music video will be many people's first port of call to listen to the track.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Katy will win. Her singles always have longetivity and insane radio support. She'll stay in the chart for quite some time and she'll sell a great amount of copies.

GaGa will have an impressive first week and then free fall.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until we hear both songs we really cannot tell.
  • Options
    Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know the songs, so how can we comment?
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Katy will win. Her singles always have longetivity and insane radio support. She'll stay in the chart for quite some time and she'll sell a great amount of copies.

GaGa will have an impressive first week and then free fall.

Having heard Roar, I'm really not so sure Katy will have everything her way. Gaga's album track demo Aura destroys Roar. Applause needs to be radio-friendly, though.
  • Options
    anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    We don't know the songs, so how can we comment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_3GLsyAJg8

Roar has leaked
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having heard Roar, I'm really not so sure Katy will have everything her way. Gaga's album track demo Aura destroys Roar. Applause needs to be radio-friendly, though.
    I respect your opinion, but I disagree about 'Aura'. It sounded like a 'BTW' reject to me and I consider that whole album horrible, so just imagine how I feel about 'Aura' :o It's overproduced, the verses have no melody, the lyrics make hardly any sense, the breakdowns are dated and the chorus is the only catchy and good element of the entire song. 'Applause' has to put 'Aura' to shame if GaGa wants to even compete with Katy.
  • Options
    lukemholllukemholl Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    antero wrote: »

Must have caught that just before it got removed... Impressed! Might be slightly wearing out the repeat button :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any good??
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All things being equal (quality of each track) Katy will wipe the floor with Gaga.

Gaga is too divisive. Her LGBT stance has alienated great swathes of the ultra Conservative US Radio stations and their advertisers; likewise the same can be said globally. Whilst her avant garde pretentious behaviour hacks off a lot of neutrals as she comes across as too weird (just as John Lennon did after meeting Yoko compared to Paul McCartney (look up their post Beatles chart discographies in the 1970s); and how David Bowie did commercially at the time compared to more sanitised Glam Rock stars such as Slade or Gary Glitter.

Personally I think Roar is very catchy; but the complete lack of musical progression from the Teenage Dream era really massively contradicts what Katy Perry has been saying from her videos could cause her a bit of a backlash with music fans.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Britney will win.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I hope Katy wins.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyonce will release Grown Woman on noon Saturday and slay them all in minutes.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I respect your opinion, but I disagree about 'Aura'. It sounded like a 'BTW' reject to me and I consider that whole album horrible, so just imagine how I feel about 'Aura' :oIt's overproduced, the verses have no melody, the lyrics make hardly any sense, the breakdowns are dated and the chorus is the only catchy and good element of the entire song. 'Applause' has to put 'Aura' to shame if GaGa wants to even compete with Katy.

It does have links to Americano and Judas, admittedly - but the production is more innovative. The breakdowns are the best part of the song for me. I mean, Aura is getting club play etc and it's only a demo. :eek::D

Really disappointed in Roar, zero progression whatsoever. Same writer (McKee) and same producer (Puke). :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New GaGa snippet, called 'Pop Culture'

https://soundcloud.com/xela/popculture (taken down already)

Not that I can judge based on 5 seconds, but from what I can hear, 'Roar' is stronger. Let's just wait for 'Applause', though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who thinks the new Gaga snippets are awful? Aura just sounds like a shambles to me and the pop culture snippet sounds like shes trying too hard to do the pop-art 2009 thing. Whereas on first listen with Roar - love it or loathe it you just know its going to be an international smash... its going to get played on radio no end - i think katy has won this time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Katy's gonna win with the singles. ''Roar'' is a surefire success.

I just hope Katy can deal with not being taken seriously by anyone for another era.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who thinks the new Gaga snippets are awful? Aura just sounds like a shambles to me and the pop culture snippet sounds like shes trying too hard to do the pop-art 2009 thing. Whereas on first listen with Roar - love it or loathe it you just know its going to be an international smash... its going to get played on radio no end - i think katy has won this time!

Well people either loved or loathed Born This Way and it still went to #1 in the US for six weeks and was an international smash. Tbh we can't say who has won until we've heard both songs and can compare how they have done on the charts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well people either loved or loathed Born This Way and it still went to #1 in the US for six weeks and was an international smash. Tbh we can't say who has won until we've heard both songs and can compare how they have done on the charts.
    With all due respect, 'BTW' benefited greatly from the 5-month long hype campaign GaGa had set up for it. Didn't she first announce the title of the single at the VMA's, in early September? And it also benefited from lack of significant competition. There were no other huge songs out at the time. Britney's single had already peaked and there were no 'Blurred Lines' / 'Call Me Maybe' / 'Somebody that I used to Know' phenomenons back then either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    With all due respect, 'BTW' benefited greatly from the 5-month long hype campaign GaGa had set up for it. Didn't she first announce the title of the single at the VMA's, in early September? And it also benefited from lack of significant competition. There were no other huge songs out at the time. Britney's single had already peaked and there were no 'Blurred Lines' / 'Call Me Maybe' / 'Somebody that I used to Know' phenomenons back then either.

So...people just carried on buying it for weeks because of hype? Let's give them a little credit. A lot of people clearly liked the song. 10 million or so in the end, in fact.

Hype can only do so much, as people have parroted constantly about the BTW era since 2011.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With all due respect I fail to see your logic at all.

In the UK it got stuck at UK#3 because she had the (mis)fortune of releasing on a Friday at the same time as Jessie J's Price Tag & Adele's Someone Like You were selling massively. Whereas if she had released BTW during 33 of the 52 weeks of 2011 with its UK weekly sales it would have spent 2 weeks at #1; and in 43 of the 52 weeks it would have spent 1 week at #1.

In other words different strokes for different folks ....
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Katy has been doing better than Lady Gaga in the singles charts (both in Europe and in the US) since summer 2010.

That said, I don't see Roar being as big as people expect. I can see it missing #1 in both the UK and the US. I like the song though, I'm glad Katy departed from the California Gurls/Last Friday Night sound.
  • Options
    anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    Roar is perfectly fine, it's not a bad song at all! But it isn't as good, IMO, as many of her past songs. If Gaga can produce a song on par with Bad Romance, that will be better. Roar ain't no Firework.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So...people just carried on buying it for weeks because of hype? Let's give them a little credit. A lot of people clearly liked the song. 10 million or so in the end, in fact.

Hype can only do so much, as people have parroted constantly about the BTW era since 2011.
    Hype can only do so much, which is why 'BTW', the LEAD single, was the only real smash hit of the entire era. Not a coincidence. (I'm not downplaying the success of 'EOG', but you have to admit it wasn't as big as her real smash hits probably due to the video being, well, awful)

Hype not only gave her great sales during the first couple of weeks, but it also provided HUGE radio support and that's key to having a smash hit. Without hype, 'BTW' wouldn't have been a big radio hit instantly (or ever imo, but that's subjective), so since airplay = sales and in GaGa's case hype = extensive airplay, then we can agree that hype = sales and longetivity in sales as well. Then she extended the hype by performing at the Grammy's and by releasing a controversial video. Well played. But you can't deny hype is 90% of the song's success.
    With all due respect I fail to see your logic at all.

In the UK it got stuck at UK#3 because she had the (mis)fortune of releasing on a Friday at the same time as Jessie J's Price Tag & Adele's Someone Like You were selling massively. Whereas if she had released BTW during 33 of the 52 weeks of 2011 with its UK weekly sales it would have spent 2 weeks at #1; and in 43 of the 52 weeks it would have spent 1 week at #1.

In other words different strokes for different folks ....
    You're totally right about the UK. She had intense competition. I was only referring to the US, where there were no REALLY big songs back then. Sorry for not clarifying.
  • Options
    constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I prefer Katy simply because with Gaga, it's all style and no substance. BTW was a terrible album and didn't deliver what she promised. When Gaga is good, she is VERY good (Telephone, Bad Romance, Paparazzi), but she is over hyping this new album and it is unlikely that the music will deliver but we'll see.

With Katy, I can already tell Roar will be play-listed because it is radio-friendly and super catchy. Applause is in danger of being too try-hard and bombastic for radio. On the other hand, there is so much hype around the comeback that it is unlikely that it will be ignored.

We will see...