Mark Wright confirmed!

SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just announced on his Heart FM radio. The 6th celeb.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Couldn't they get someone from Made In Chelsea? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Oh wow, there's hope for me yet then - all they need to do is make 'The Only Way is Kent' and in a couple of series time, I'll be on strictly! No talent required!
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they'll focus on him being In TOWIE or whether they'll try to announce him as something less abominable!

He seems harmless enough so I'll wait to see how he is at dancing before I decide if I like him or not.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Oh wow, there's hope for me yet then - all they need to do is make 'The Only Way is Kent' and in a couple of series time, I'll be on strictly! No talent required!

And what talents did Jo Wood, Penny Lancaster, Abbey Clancy, Nancy Dell'Olio, Russell Grant et al have? ;)
    Forum Member
    And what talents did Jo Wood, Penny Lancaster, Abbey Clancy, Nancy Dell'Olio, Russell Grant et al have? ;)

Haha I'll let you have Nancy Dell'Olive oil! Forgot she was ever on it!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The press announcement calls him a "TV and Radio presenter" so in response to my previous question, looks like TOWIE won't feature greatly in his intro ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Andy Murray's mum and that tanner than George Hamilton himbo from TOWIE? No wonder people are calling for the license fee to be scrapped!
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Andy Murray's mum and that tanner than George Hamilton himbo from TOWIE? No wonder people are calling for the license fee to be scrapped!

I think people would call for the license fee to be scrapped no matter what, people just like to moan
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if he'll be able to still present his Heart Network show? It is pre recorded / voicetracked
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    The press announcement calls him a "TV and Radio presenter" so in response to my previous question, looks like TOWIE won't feature greatly in his intro ;)

He seems to be distancing himself from TOWIE, and to be fair it's not as if they are lying by announcing him as a TV and radio presenter. He does do those things, whether he's any good at it is down to personal opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Wonder if he'll be able to still present his Heart Network show? It is pre recorded / voicetracked

Denise Van Outen and Lisa Snowden both had radio shows around the time they were on Strictly. It's no different to having newsreaders etc, they still have day jobs, they just record when they're not rehearsing.
    He seems to be distancing himself from TOWIE, and to be fair it's not as if they are lying by announcing him as a TV and radio presenter. He does do those things, whether he's any good at it is down to personal opinion.

I wonder if that's why the BBC went for him, his self-distancing! I can't imagine they'd go for someone like Amy Childs or Joey Essex who're still very much associated with TOWIE!
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doing Strictly is probably a good career move for Mark because he's trying to shrug off the whole TOWIE thing and establish himself as a TV and radio presenter. Will definitely raise his profile, plus he appeals to ladies of a certain age, my mum and aunties all love him.
  • D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully he'll trip up and knock his teeth out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems like a shrewd choice from the BBC- the people who watch Strictly regardless might not be Mark fans, but the ones who flick between SCD and XF might well choose Strictly because of him, so it might work out for everyone, especially if he's not an atrocious dancer!
  • D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems like a shrewd choice from the BBC- the people who watch Strictly regardless might not be Mark fans, but the ones who flick between SCD and XF might well choose Strictly because of him, so it might work out for everyone, especially if he's not an atrocious dancer!

Alternatively, those who loathe the smug conceited TOWIE sex pests like Mark Wright will not bother tuning in at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »

Yep, talk about scraping under the bottom of the barrel. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    Alternatively, those who loathe the smug conceited TOWIE sex pests like Mark Wright will not bother tuning in at all.

I'm fairly sure they'll watch the other 14 celebs and maybe just mute his video... not watching a show because you don't like one celeb is just stupid. I'm famous for my dislike of soap stars (who I'd argue are just as talentless) but I keep watching, I just don't vote for them!
    Forum Member
    I'm fairly sure they'll watch the other 14 celebs and maybe just mute his video... not watching a show because you don't like one celeb is just stupid. I'm famous for my dislike of soap stars (who I'd argue are just as talentless) but I keep watching, I just don't vote for them!

True, I'm not exactly thrilled that they've got someone from a reality show but I'm still gonna watch the show. I'll probably always watch it regardless of who's on it!
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like Mark, at least he's made some sort of career as a radio DJ and everyone seems to know him, he'll appeal to the younger female audience which will help against TXF which Strictly needs with Simon back there

And his relationship with Michelle is at least in top paper headlines whereas Abbey was just an unknown wag from Liverpool to many
  • BruciesToupeBruciesToupe Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never watched TOWIE but he was great on IACGMOOH - wasn't he the runner up ? I think he'll wholly embrace the experience and be great fun!
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member

Oh God

That puts a cloud over my enjoyment of this season already. I have no tolerance for these scripted reality shows and their so called "stars"
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    I actually like Mark, at least he's made some sort of career as a radio DJ and everyone seems to know him, he'll appeal to the younger female audience which will help against TXF which Strictly needs with Simon back there

And his relationship with Michelle is at least in top paper headlines whereas Abbey was just an unknown wag from Liverpool to many

Strictly doesn't need to compete with X-factor though. In the BBC charter it basically says they have to provide quality broadcasting with integrity and that applies to entertainment shows as well - that's my interpretation of it - this shouldn't mean that they have to chase ratings and appeal to the lowest common denominater and compete with trash like the X-factor - it's the BBC chosing to go into competition with the X-factor which only serves to bolster the egoes of those at the BBC.

And if Mark has basically been picked because of his high profile relationship with Michelle which I suspect he has - well then those at Strictly/BBC really are immoral charlatons! I suppose it makes a change them picking a man with a famous connection rather than a woman like the WAGS they've picked in the past. As for his 'DJ career' - name me one part time heart radio DJ and failed tv presenter that has been picked for Strictly before?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    Strictly doesn't need to compete with X-factor though. In the BBC charter it basically says have to provide quality broadcasting with integrity and that applies to entertainment shows as well - this shouldn't mean that they have to chase ratings and appeal to the lowest common denominater and compete with trash like the X-factor - it's the BBC chosing to go into competition with the X-factor which only serves to bolster the egoes of those at the BBC.

And if Mark has basically been picked because of his high profile relationship with Michelle which I suspect he has - well then those at Strictly/BBC really are immoral charlatons! I suppose it makes a change them picking a man with a famous connection rather than a woman like the WAGS they've picked in the past. As for his 'DJ career' - name me one part time heart DJ and failed tv presenter that has been picked for Strictly before?

Are Capital and Radio 1 DJs Dave Barry and Greg James who both turned down the show (or said so anyway) bigger names then? Anyway why get pissed off at one celeb choice, did you act like this with half the choices last year? Who do most people expect to do the show anyway, David Beckham?
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Are Capital and Radio 1 DJs Dave Barry and Greg James who both turned down the show (or said so anyway) bigger names then? Anyway why get pissed off at one celeb choice, did you act like this with half the choices last year? Who do most people expect to do the show anyway, David Beckham?
    Yes in terms of their radio careers they would have been far bigger and better signings - both of them have got higher profile shows with no doubt far more listeners at bigger stations - I don't listen to their shows but even I know they're far more successful in their radio/media careers than Mark Wright! And at least they're both not tabloid publicity seekers like him!

I was disappointed with the female version signing of Mark Wright last year especially as she was hyped/overrated and came to dominate the show!

As for the BIB why do posters on forums always come out with this nonsense? I doubt if anyone is stupid enough to expect A list actors or sport stars but it would be nice if the strictly producers acted with more integrity when chosing 'celebs' for the show instead of using some tacky criteria of how a fame hungry media constructed 'celeb' can get them headlines!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    Yes in terms of their radio careers they would have been far bigger and better signings - both of them have got higher profile shows with no doubt far more listeners at bigger stations - I don't listen to their shows but even I know they're far more successful in their radio/media careers than Mark Wright! And at least they're both not tabloid publicity seekers like him!

I was disappointed with the female version signing of Mark Wright last year especially as she was hyped/overrated and came to dominate the show!

As for the BIB why do posters on forums always come out with this nonsense? I doubt if anyone is stupid enough to expect A list actors or sport stars but it would be nice if the strictly producers acted with more integrity when chosing 'celebs' for the show instead of using some tacky criteria of how a fame hungry media constructed 'celeb' can get them headlines!

Fair enough, I stated that as when ever there is a celeb appeal most people always complain about them not being big, as someone here said in another thread we could get Jennifer Aniston but complain that we didn't get Angelia Jolie instead

You should be relieved that we got Mark who they claim to be a TV & radio presenter instead of TOWIE star, imagine if we got Joey Essex, Amy Childs, or anyone from Geordie Shore, DWTS in America got The Situation from Jersey Shore, things could be worse.

Btw there's no need to call other shows and celebs trash and calming them to be "the lowest common denominator" I'm no fan of TOWIE shows but I also despise soaps just as much, but I never call them that nor complain about soap stars coming on the show such as the rumored Jake Wood, people can claim you and me as that quote for watching SCD and talking about it on the web, just sayin :)

EDIT: aren't most celebs that go on this show fame hungry to an extent?