Emmerdale: Jack's Letters

2»

Comments

• mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    Snapp wrote: »
    It's more of a case then that you can't except the explanation not that none was given.
    There are some really weird attitudes on the Emmerdale threads. I've already said I accepted that Jack got ill and didn't die instantly - that's pretty much accepting the explanation. It seems to me that some people don't like talking about the show properly and want to wallow in a constant nostalgia where Emmerdale's always brilliant and never has any flaws. It's really strange that the show can't be talked about without an intolerance of other views creeping in. Then we get the usual comments: 'You're knocking the show for the sake of it', 'You're a whinger', 'You can't accept the answer', 'You're being negative' and on and on and on.

Emmerdale, like everything else, is there to praised and criticised. I'm so glad the majority do this and aren't like the few fanatics who are overdefensive.
  • SnappSnapp Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well excuse me for opening my mouth! :D
    Forum Member
    Snapp wrote: »
    Well excuse me for opening my mouth! :D
    That's alright, I'm used to it.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made no secret at the time I thought the whole thing was a complete travesty, Im not getting in to what could / should have been done better as i understand they did work with the actors family and their wishes must override that of the vewier but I feel they could have made more use of annie, even to the point of a "Sugden" special, one off sugdens only episode. I always felt robert was pushed out of the family in favor of andy from when they were smaller kids, so leaving rob in the background just annoyed me.

The letters were just silly IMO, did we really have to have the obligatry dingle panto scenes (which could and should have been chopped out just for one epidsode), and I take it annies left now as theres been no mention of her going, the super imposed head / body thing at the end was just well....

It cant be redone but thank god turners gone, lets hope that the next long term cast members memorial episode is handled much better.

I think it was Snapp who suggested Butlers could have been renamed Emmerdale Farm (forgive me if it was'nt), that I do agree with. Even if I dont see eye to eye with those who thought it was a fitting tribute.

Still onwards & upwards.
  • pablopicassopablopicasso Posts: 32,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's alright, I'm used to it.

There is only one person who causes disquiet on Emmerdale threads. Sadly you cannot see that.
  • HellinglyHellingly Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    I find the criticisms that Annie could have been used more quite ignorant.

Sheila Mercier is a 90-year old retired actress, who hasn't worked for over a decade, and who agreed to appear out of respect for a former colleague and friend.

As people pointed out earlier in week, she isn't very mobile anymore and has suffered from artheritis for many years (even in the 90's she was rarely used for exterior scenes).

Should an elderly lady have been expected to endure several long days of filming and memorise long pages of script?

I think the writers and producers did a fantastic job of making the most of Annie - every scene she was in had a purpose, and her final was of her doing what she always did best - sorting out her family.

I think Sheila Mercier deserves a lot of respect for coming back.
    Forum Member
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    I always felt robert was pushed out of the family in favor of andy from when they were smaller kids, so leaving rob in the background just annoyed me.
    The biggest disappointment was Robert's lack of dialogue. I know his scenes were a recreation of older ones, ie wandering round the farm but actually, apart from nostalgia they added little. A missed oportunity IMO.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    It was said in Jack's letter to Diane that he didn't phone her as he didn't want to have to tell her he was dying/near death.

Quoted from the episode verbatim: "I thought about ringing you but I couldn't face telling you I might never see you again. I always thought I would"

Why some people still can't get their heads around the fact that Jack was either seriously ill, wrote the letters then died, or that he had a near-fatal heart attack, was told he had hours left to live and then wrote the letters, I've no idea. Criticising the logic of a storyline which was obviously done to give closure to a much-loved character with many dangling threads is incredibly churlish. I'd be interested to hear the critics' idea of how the storyline should have been wrapped up.
  • lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was said in Jack's letter to Diane that he didn't phone her as he didn't want to have to tell her he was dying/near death.

Quoted from the episode verbatim: "I thought about ringing you but I couldn't face telling you I might never see you again. I always thought I would"

Why some people still can't get their heads around the fact that Jack was either seriously ill, wrote the letters then died, or that he had a near-fatal heart attack, was told he had hours left to live and then wrote the letters, I've no idea. Criticising the logic of a storyline which was obviously done to give closure to a much-loved character with many dangling threads is incredibly churlish. I'd be interested to hear the critics' idea of how the storyline should have been wrapped up.

I think those who were following the programme with genuine interest heard that. It was mentioned elsewhere at the time the fact that there was an explanation has been pointed out numerous times on this thread alone.:)
    But now that you've annulled that invalid complaint, I'm sure there'll be another bit of straw clutching.:(
    Forum Member
    Criticising the logic of a storyline which was obviously done to give closure to a much-loved character with many dangling threads is incredibly churlish.
    Just because it was a tribute episode doesn't mean it's immune from criticism. I've already stated that the final image was unnecessary, and others have agreed. Some don't. That's fine too. It's only an opinion and forums are there to allow all opinions.