What's the best way to get a good upgrade deal from T-Mobile?

MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
Forum Member
✭✭
My contract with T-Mobile came to an end at the end of September. I'm allowed to upgrade as well as renew my contract but haven't called them up yet so my price plan is currently rolling on month by month until i decide to call them up and let them know what i want to do. Basically i just want to find out what's the best way to get a good upgrade deal from T-Mobile?

I've been with them for over 5 and a half years as a pay monthly customer. I pay my bills on time, never had any major problems and i get a pretty good signal so i'm quite happy and don't intend to leave.

The contract i had with them was Flext 18 months where i paid £22.11 per month but it's £26.53 when you add 20% VAT on top. With that i received 300 mins, 300 texts (also use an unlimited text booster) and free internet. During these past 18 months i've never paid £26.53 per month as i've usually gone over my bill by £5-£10 (used up my minutes allowance!), so end up paying £30-£35 per month instead.

I would like to renew and this time for 18 months i would like 600 mins, 300 texts (with unlimited text booster again) and free internet and would still like to pay roughly the same amount per month. As an upgrade i would like either a Samsung Galaxy S2 or HTC Sensation. Of course since 18 months have now passed T-Mobile's price plans have all changed, so how likely am i to get a deal like the one i want. Is it possible to even get some kind of loyalty discount?

Just looking for any helpful hints, tips or advice anyone can give me so i'm getting value for money and a cracking good smartphone. Anyone from T-Mobile here at all?

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You just need to phone T-Mobile, ask to speak to their retentions department about what they can offer you in terms of an upgrade.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    You just need to phone T-Mobile, ask to speak to their retentions department about what they can offer you in terms of an upgrade.

Will retentions really offer me a good deal? I've had friends of mine speak to retentions dept's from other phone networks who basically said if you don't like the deal we're giving you leave and go elsewhere! :eek:
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not quite sure - a lot of companies seem to be offering deals that aren't quite as good as they used to be. I left O2 in 2010 after having been with them for 7 years because they wouldn't do me a free Desire at £25 a month - something that T-Mobile were happy to provide for a new customer, so I moved to T-Mobile.

Not sure whether it was just O2's policy or not, but in general, I liked them as a company, but their retention deals were awful. Saying that, to some extent it depends on who you talk to in the customer service centre. I managed to get a free upgrade from an N85 to an LG Renoir on a 12 months contract in 2009 which was pretty good all said and done. But that was only after phoning them 4 times and being rejected by the first 3 advisors.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Phone other networks, and see what they will offer you as a new customer. Then go to t-mobile with the best deal you have and ask them to match/beat it.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already spoken to VF about upgrading, they weren't bothered about keeping me as a customer at all even if I do have 3 accounts with them.
    TBF, this was about an early upgrade though, but I'll be cancelling my account in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see what retensions say then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    I've already spoken to VF about upgrading, they weren't bothered about keeping me as a customer at all even if I do have 3 accounts with them.
    TBF, this was about an early upgrade though, but I'll be cancelling my account in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see what retensions say then.

That's pretty shocking, but like you said it was an early upgrade. It does seem to me the networks care more about gaining new customers than keeping their existing and long-term ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering if anyone has upgraded with T-Mobile in the past few weeks and got some good deals or are about to?
  • rcmaccrcmacc Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Rather depends on what is available elsewhere, and how desperate they are for new subscribers. I'd been on a sim only since January and fancied a GS2, I'd seen deals with p4u for around £21pm with a free phone so was going to change to o2. I was quite suprised after phoning Tmobile they gave me my pac with no discussion. So much for trying to keep me as a customer! Later that day I was phoned by Tmobile and quizzed on why I was leaving, I quoted the p4u offer and they offered me the GS2 for £23.64pm free phone 300 mins unlimited texts, internet etc etc etc annoyingly over 24months though. I've stayed with Tmobile.

At certain times of the year they may be more interested in gaining customers rather than profit. You've nothing to lose by getting your pac though - you don't need to use it;-)

Rob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rcmacc wrote: »
    Rather depends on what is available elsewhere, and how desperate they are for new subscribers. I'd been on a sim only since January and fancied a GS2, I'd seen deals with p4u for around £21pm with a free phone so was going to change to o2. I was quite suprised after phoning Tmobile they gave me my pac with no discussion. So much for trying to keep me as a customer! Later that day I was phoned by Tmobile and quizzed on why I was leaving, I quoted the p4u offer and they offered me the GS2 for £23.64pm free phone 300 mins unlimited texts, internet etc etc etc annoyingly over 24months though. I've stayed with Tmobile.

At certain times of the year they may be more interested in gaining customers rather than profit. You've nothing to lose by getting your pac though - you don't need to use it;-)

Rob

Yeah i see what you mean. You got a good deal from T-Mobile though. One thing i'm confused about, if you ask for your PAC code doesn't that mean they will automatically deactivate the sim i'm currently using?