Options

Phone 5C pre-orders a big disappointment...

Comments

• Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like even the fans who were out early in the Land Down Under were unimpressed with the 5C and were all after the 5S.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/20/fanbois_shun_crappy_plastic_iphone_5c/

It looks like people are more likely to queue for this year's tech, than last year's tech. Not surprising.

It looks like they were asking what people thought of the 5C before they'd actually seen it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 14 and 15 yo nephews are desperate for the blue and green ones and have started to ask their mums on a daily basis to get them one for Christmas.

I think this is possibly what Apple wanted.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    It looks like people are more likely to queue for this year's tech, than last year's tech. Not surprising.

It looks like they were asking what people thought of the 5C before they'd actually seen it.

To be fair queuing was the only option for the 5s whereas the 5c can be ordered online (from what i have read).

Im guessing most of the "whooping queuers" wanted it to be known that they were intent on passing the highest possible amount of tithe to their "tech gods" :p
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple is asking its supply chain to increase production of gold iPhone 5s models by one-third amid strong launch-day demand, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Apple Inc. has asked its suppliers to increase production of the gold-colored iPhone 5S by an additional one-third after seeing strong demand, people familiar with the situation said. It isn’t clear whether there are currently supply constraints manufacturing the new iPhone.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/09/19/apple-suppliers-to-boost-gold-iphone-production/
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Apple is asking its supply chain to increase production of gold iPhone 5s models by one-third amid strong launch-day demand, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Apple Inc. has asked its suppliers to increase production of the gold-colored iPhone 5S by an additional one-third after seeing strong demand, people familiar with the situation said. It isn’t clear whether there are currently supply constraints manufacturing the new iPhone.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/09/19/apple-suppliers-to-boost-gold-iphone-production/

I was expecting a shortage of supply story. again.

seems odd that apple always have unexpected supply shortages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think they'd learn from their past mistakes and make enough wouldn't you?

Or maybe they do have enough and they're just lying to hype their 'new' product.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this the gold phone that everyone thought was stupid and no-one would want?

So yes, they should have remembered what happened last time they made a stupid gold phone that no-one would want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this the gold phone that everyone thought was stupid and no-one would want?

So yes, they should have remembered what happened last time they made a stupid gold phone that no-one would want.

I love this emotional response from an Apple psycho.

As expected.
  • Options
    Forum Member

.... or possibly they have made a stupidly low volume of the handsets to create some artificial feeling that they are actually the 'must have' product ?

just another opinion obviously......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this emotional response from an Apple psycho.

As expected.

Emotional response? :confused:

I thought the consensus was that a gold phone was pretty lame.

I don't see how saying as much can be described as "am emotional response from an Apple psycho".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    .... or possibly they have made a stupidly low volume of the handsets to create some artificial feeling that they are actually the 'must have' product ?

just another opinion obviously......

Because that's the default setting - that Apple must be being deceitful somehow.

If they were going to be deceitful, and artificially drum up interest, wouldn't it have been a better bet to try to do that for the 5C, rather than specifically the gold 5S?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because that's the default setting - that Apple must be being deceitful somehow.

If they were going to be deceitful, and artificially drum up interest, wouldn't it have been a better bet to try to do that for the 5C, rather than specifically the gold 5S?

Nope. Its not some default setting. Its actually being reported by UK carriers.

Linky (just one of many reports)

Whatever the reason, marketing, bad planning or component/production problems it definitely seems like stock of the 5s is much more limited than usual but the 5c is available in high numbers.

My guess would be that by keeping numbers lower they are trying to maintain the 5s as being the elusive, high value Apple product whilst pushing the 5c out to those desperate for 'any' new shiny as the profit margin is probably better. Again, its just my opinion. If yours is that Apple have shipped the same volume as usual and they are flying off the shelves then feel free to have that one :)
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the gold iPhone and the mention of their Chinese followers in the keynote were obvious ploys to get the Chinese market onside, but it has seemingly failed.

Apparently only 50 people showed up outside their flagship Apple store in Beijing, compared to the hundreds showing up in Europe. Not a good sign, especially where Android owns not far from 100% of the market. Apple will have to do more than a gold iPhone to improve their 5% share in China.

I agree with the others about the supply "issues". This story seems to occur every time a new launch happens, and it's a little dubious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. Its not some default setting. Its actually being reported by UK carriers.

Linky (just one of many reports)

Whatever the reason, marketing, bad planning or component/production problems it definitely seems like stock of the 5s is much more limited than usual but the 5c is available in high numbers.

My guess would be that by keeping numbers lower they are trying to maintain the 5s as being the elusive, high value Apple product whilst pushing the 5c out to those desperate for 'any' new shiny as the profit margin is probably better. Again, its just my opinion. If yours is that Apple have shipped the same volume as usual and they are flying off the shelves then feel free to have that one :)

I'm not disputing the reports of shortages.

I'm disputing the suggestion that it has been done deliberately to artificially create anything.

The 5C has all the internal components of the 5, which has been in production for over a year.

The 5S has new internal components.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Well the gold iPhone and the mention of their Chinese followers in the keynote were obvious ploys to get the Chinese market onside, but it has seemingly failed.

Apparently only 50 people showed up outside their flagship Apple store in Beijing, compared to the hundreds showing up in Europe. Not a good sign, especially where Android owns not far from 100% of the market. Apple will have to do more than a gold iPhone to improve their 5% share in China.

I agree with the others about the supply "issues". This story seems to occur every time a new launch happens, and it's a little dubious.

It happens when a company launches a new product that will be in high demand.

For example...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not disputing the reports of shortages.

I'm disputing the suggestion that it has been done deliberately to artificially create anything.

The 5C has all the internal components of the 5, which has been in production for over a year.

The 5S has new internal components.

It doesn't. It has a different battery and a modified antenna system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    It doesn't. It has a different battery and a modified antenna system.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.

Most of the 5C's internal components are the same as in the 5.

Most of the 5S' internal components are new.

The point remains the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For example...

Yeah....high demand. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/18/iphone-5-uk-pre-orders-down-on-previous-years :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

For example...

i understand supply and demand.

but in this case carriers are complaining that the supply is much lower than usual. You are right, it could be a component shortage (but that seems very poor business management when you know you have a big product launch coming up) or it could be marketing. Ive never suggested it was deception, its marketing. And Apple are very good at marketing.

Neither you or I know the real reason for the low supply. Im suggesting that it may be (clever) marketing yet you are suggesting that its component/production shortages. Strangely this means I am saying that Apple have done something good/clever whilst you are suggesting poor business planning (a failing by Apple ?) .... :eek:

im sure it should be the other way round calico ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, let me rephrase that.

Most of the 5C's internal components are the same as in the 5.

Most of the 5S' internal components are new.

The point remains the same.

The "stock shortage" story is the oldest trick in the book. Other companies pull it all the time, so let's not pretend like Apple hasn't either. Especially with all the stories about low demand for their new models. It doesn't quite add up.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im suggesting that it may be (clever) marketing yet you are suggesting that its component/production shortages. Strangely this means I am saying that Apple have done something good/clever whilst you are suggesting poor business planning (a failing by Apple ?) .... :eek:

Lol! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all seems very artificial. The 5S especially wasn't put up for pre-order either, so there really is no excuse for the stock shortages. There should have been plenty waiting in the stores.

Networks in the US have even said that the supply they have is "grotesquely" low. Seems like they were expecting the 5C to sell and were trying to create more demand for the 5S by reducing the stock deliberately.

But it seems to have backfired as there is minimal interest in the 5C, and because they have deliberately reduced the stock, nobody can get hold of the 5S either. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i understand supply and demand.

but in this case carriers are complaining that the supply is much lower than usual. You are right, it could be a component shortage (but that seems very poor business management when you know you have a big product launch coming up) or it could be marketing. Ive never suggested it was deception, its marketing. And Apple are very good at marketing.

Neither you or I know the real reason for the low supply. Im suggesting that it may be (clever) marketing yet you are suggesting that its component/production shortages. Strangely this means I am saying that Apple have done something good/clever whilst you are suggesting poor business planning (a failing by Apple ?) .... :eek:

I think there are two separate things here though.

The first is the reportedly low pre-orders for the 5C - reasonably explained by the fact that its not this year's flagship phone. Its essentially last year's phone in a new case. The sort of people who pre-order, or go and buy one on the first day of release will be the sort of people who want this year's flagship phone, i.e. the 5S not the 5C.

The second is the reported supply issues with the 5S. I wouldn't put it down to poor business planning, I'd put it down to high demand.

You seem to be conflating the two, by referring to the low pre-orders of the 5C in the context of the supply issues with the 5S.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Had a play with the 5C whilst upgrading to the 5S. If the C stands for anything it is Ceramic, feels unlike any plastic phone i have felt. More Nokia in quality but not better or worse.. just different. I personally like it.

Most people in the shop i was in today (was there for awhile sorting out 3 accounts and the system was on a go slow...) were upgrading to the 5S but new customers were going for the 5C... not sure what that says.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think there are two separate things here though.

The first is the reportedly low pre-orders for the 5C - reasonably explained by the fact that its not this year's flagship phone. Its essentially last year's phone in a new case. The sort of people who pre-order, or go and buy one on the first day of release will be the sort of people who want this year's flagship phone, i.e. the 5S not the 5C.

The second is the reported supply issues with the 5S. I wouldn't put it down to poor business planning, I'd put it down to high demand.

You seem to be conflating the two, by referring to the low pre-orders of the 5C in the context of the supply issues with the 5S.

calico. pause a while and read the links.

5c - i fully agree with you (!?) - its not the flagship phone. maybe they have overestimated the popularity ? maybe they havent.

With the 5s the carriers are suggesting that the supply from Apple has been incredibly low this year. They are not debating whether demand is high or not - just that they havent been given as much stock as normal. Whether demand is high or not is irrelevant for this part of the topic -Apple simply havent provided anywhere near as many iPhone 5s units as they normally would provide of their flagship product.

So. Is this supply problems ? marketing ? or a dodgy strategy ? did they think that the 5c would be more popular than it is ? go to the Apple website and its the 5c they are pushing not the 5s !

If its problems with production then thats bad planning by Apple.
    If its a bad decision to build more 5c units than 5s units as they thought they would sell more 5s handsets then thats bad decision making by Apple.
    If its a strategy then thats either clever marketing by Apple or it could end up as a big mistake.