Superior Spiderman

Jon McManamyJon McManamy Posts: 130
Forum Member
What do people think? i thought it was ok, seemed a bit of a back track on what happened in Amazing Spiderman but interesting ending

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 7 pages off the end and thinking distinctly meh. Unless something absolutely awesome happens in the next 7 pages I won't be bothering with issue 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    What do people think? i thought it was ok, seemed a bit of a back track on what happened in Amazing Spiderman but interesting ending

Yes, I know what you mean. It somewhat diminished the significance of what happened at the end of Amazing #700. I would have preferred it if Dan Slott had waited a few issues before revealing the twist.

I didn't care much for Ryan Stegman's art either.

As always, my detailed thoughts can be found here: http://theweekendwednesday.com/2013/01/10/review-superior-spider-man-1/
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the reintroduction of Peter Parker at the end of the issue after all the fuss of supposedly killing him off was one of the most blatant comic cop-outs I have ever seen.

Lame in the extreme.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cyclone5uk wrote: »
    I didn't care much for Ryan Stegman's art either.

I think he's OK, he's young so he'll find his feet eventually. He's on a Bachalo trip at the moment. I liked his work on Scarlet Spider
    Lame in the extreme.

I think I agree.

I also find it bizarre that no-one has questioned why PP is suddenly talking like a 1950's sci-fi b-movie evil scientist, yet...
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ain't read ASM since OMD, but it's obvious this is all about Marvel having their cake and eating it. Let's be honest, the "villain taking over a hero's life" idea isn't a wholly original story, and really this could have just been another arc in ASM for a month or so. But Marvel know a merketing opportunity when they see one, so they 'kill off' Peter in #700 and make all this fuss about him being replaced, in the hope of attracting a bunch of new readers. But then they also hedge their bets by...
    ...having Peter reappear at the end of Superior (albeit, a s 'ghost') as a non-corpereal carrot to keep the old readers around...

...for however long Marvel decide to milk this Spock storyline. My guess is that will be long enough to justify the relaunch, but not too long that people get bored with...
    ..Peter as a Ghost.

And then there'll be another relaunch to put everything back the way it was. Well, the way it was after OMD, anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed SSM #1. If you follow Dan Slott on Twitter he's been saying for months that you just need to wait and read SSM #1 before making judgements, so I don't think it's a massive cop-out by Marvel at all. SSM 1 would probably have been plotted and storyboard in the middle of 2012, so it was always dan's plan to have it this way, he's never tried to say this is the absolute end, he's dropped hints for months that the story wouldn't be completely over in ASM #700.

Plus, he's already written 6 issues of SSM, so he's not diong this on the fly. I think it's the media that have caused a storm, Slott's actually been pretty good about the whole thing.