Kim Jong Un has executed his uncle

13»

Comments

• Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    BBC:North Korean business people are being recalled from China following the execution of top official, Chang Song-thaek, says a South Korean report.

Leader Kim Jong-un may be purging associates of Mr Chang, who was in charge of economic ties with China.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25380168

Good idea. We should purge and put into prison camps those over here who are actively promote ties with China. Let's start with Cameron and the JCB "let's give the Tories lots of dosh" gang. ;)
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Good idea. We should purge and put into prison camps those over here who are actively promote ties with China. Let's start with Cameron and the JCB "let's give the Tories lots of dosh" gang. ;)

I guess this speaks to the credibility I should give your other posts.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess this speaks to the credibility I should give your other posts.

Whatever you want flaggers.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    No ones saying we shouldn't complain ...but you're trying to equate NK with the UK which is plain stupid ....I sense your self loathing .

Indeed, Blockz99, and it's a case of whingebag first world problems because North Korea is, by any measure, probably the worst and most cruel dictatorship on the planet right now.
    BBC:North Korean business people are being recalled from China following the execution of top official, Chang Song-thaek, says a South Korean report.

Leader Kim Jong-un may be purging associates of Mr Chang, who was in charge of economic ties with China.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25380168

**** me would i not go back if i was on that list.
    Ads wrote: »
    I suspect those in China have no choice but to go back, as China wouldn't give them asylum. Those in Western countries who are recalled could probably claim asylum, but a terrible revenge would be inflicted on their family members in NK.

It appears that the execution of the uncle is just part of a huge purge, with many others being executed or imprisoned.

We know so little about NK that no one is totally sure its it is Kim Jong Un orchestrating this, or whether he is being controlled by military generals.

Anyone being recalled has genuine cause for concern because I am aware that at least two of Jang Song Thaek's associates have also been executed as well although this hasn't received much publicity. Although China might not offer sanctuary to North Korean trade officials, South Korea would almost certainly offer them full asylum and that would be the place to head to.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    those NK businessmen would have family there who would undoubtedly end up in a gulag if they fled to SK. It's basically a mafia gang in charge of this country
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mounty wrote: »
    those NK businessmen would have family there who would undoubtedly end up in a gulag if they fled to SK. It's basically a mafia gang in charge of this country

Along with Zimbabwe and Equatorial Guinea, North Korea does deserve regime change:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/10376676/North-Korea-testing-chemical-weapons-on-political-prisoners.html
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/07/opinion/lee-stanton-north-korea/
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    No ones saying we shouldn't complain ...but you're trying to equate NK with the UK which is plain stupid ....I sense your self loathing .

I'm not trying to say that the UK is exactly like NK I'm just saying there are similarities and every dictatorship starts as largely democratic with just a few abuses of power that no one really thinks is worth complaining about. Then a few more and some more. But all down the road to dictatorship it's ok because look at the other countries that's what real dictatorship is. It's my worry that if the UK keeps descending the way it has been then at some point in the future it will be indistinguishable from what NK is now. Not today not in twenty or thirty years but eventually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    But all down the road to dictatorship it's ok because look at the other countries that's what real dictatorship is. It's my worry that if the UK keeps descending the way it has been then at some point in the future it will be indistinguishable from what NK is now. Not today not in twenty or thirty years but eventually.

By which point the likes of the DPRK will have set the bar even lower and people will still think we're not bad because we're not the worst.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to Singapore's The Straights Times via an official Chinese state newspaper, Jang Song Thaek was executed in a most barbaric and medieval manner:

According to the report, unlike previous executions of political prisoners which were carried out by firing squads with machine guns, Jang was stripped naked and thrown into a cage, along with his five closest aides. Then 120 hounds, starved for three days, were allowed to prey on them until they were completely eaten up. This is called "quan jue", or execution by dogs. The report said the entire process lasted for an hour, with Mr Kim Jong Un, the supreme leader in North Korea, supervising it along with 300 senior officials.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-story/asia-report/china/story/jangs-execution-bodes-ill-china-20131224

That this report was released via a state-approved Chinese paper would seem to indicate China's displeasure with the execution of their favoured go-between from North Korea as well as general disapproval of Kim Jong Un's conduct and policies.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member

That this report was released via a state-approved Chinese paper would seem to indicate China's displeasure with the execution of their favoured go-between from North Korea as well as general disapproval of Kim Jong Un's conduct and policies.

There are rumours that NK wants to engineer another showdown with South Korea, like they did a couple of years ago when they sunk one of its warships. The aim is to rally the NK population around its new leader.

I wonder how far China will let them push it. China could disolve the NK rulership with a click of their fingers if they wanted to.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Singapore's The Straights Times via an official Chinese state newspaper, Jang Song Thaek was executed in a most barbaric and medieval manner:

According to the report, unlike previous executions of political prisoners which were carried out by firing squads with machine guns, Jang was stripped naked and thrown into a cage, along with his five closest aides. Then 120 hounds, starved for three days, were allowed to prey on them until they were completely eaten up. This is called "quan jue", or execution by dogs. The report said the entire process lasted for an hour, with Mr Kim Jong Un, the supreme leader in North Korea, supervising it along with 300 senior officials.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-story/asia-report/china/story/jangs-execution-bodes-ill-china-20131224

I heard this on the news today.
    Literally jaw dropping that people could do such a thing. I thought I had misheard.

It's just beyond my comprehension. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    There are rumours that NK wants to engineer another showdown with South Korea, like they did a couple of years ago when they sunk one of its warships. The aim is to rally the NK population around its new leader.

I wonder how far China will let them push it. China could disolve the NK rulership with a click of their fingers if they wanted to.

Last time round, the Americans were able to hold back their South Korean allies from retaliating militarily. If North Korea were stupid enough to try to precipitate a new confrontation by a provocative military act, e.g. a repeat of this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11818005, I suspect that this time the Americans would not be able to restrain the South Koreans. The US would get dragged in and would have to crush the North Korean regime once and for all (the USA has the capability to do so and has no doubt done the war games exercises). Result - millions of refugees and a quick reunification.

Since most supplies, including essential fuel, comes in via China, they can indeed turn out the lights in North Korea and it's about time that they exercised more forceful pressure.
    I heard this on the news today.
    Literally jaw dropping that people could do such a thing. I thought I had misheard.

It's just beyond my comprehension. :(

It is unbelievably shocking and barbaric and it's about time that China used it's considerable hold over North Korea to get that country and its leadership to exercise some restraint.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Last time round, the Americans were able to hold back their South Korean allies from retaliating militarily. If North Korea were stupid enough to try to precipitate a new confrontation by a provocative military act, e.g. a repeat of this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11818005, I suspect that this time the Americans would not be able to restrain the South Koreans. The US would get dragged in and would have to crush the North Korean regime once and for all (the USA has the capability to do so and has no doubt done the war games exercises). Result - millions of refugees and a quick reunification.

Since most supplies, including essential fuel, comes in via China, they can indeed turn out the lights in North Korea and it's about time that they exercised more forceful pressure.

It is unbelievably shocking and barbaric and it's about time that China used it's considerable hold over North Korea to get that country and its leadership to exercise some restraint.

During all the threats from the North Koreans last April, President Park gave military commanders in the field the power to retaliate to an attack from the North without consulting the higher powers that be. So, no, next time the North try anything, the South Koreans will retaliate, emphatically. To roll over again would be political suicide as the South Korean population are no longer willing to be tolerant of provocation. The next time the North try anything, unfortunately for them, they will quickly find themselves in a shooting war.
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Kim Jong Un actually have any power at all. From the little we know, he seems like a puppet of the generals.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sargeant80 wrote: »
    Does Kim Jong Un actually have any power at all. From the little we know, he seems like a puppet of the generals.
    In the end, there can only be Un
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although...I would assume that they bunker fuel on a rolling basis from Chinese-supplied stocks for prospective military use ;-) As for other supplies that come from China - North Korea is by definition already existing on a shoestring; it might be prepared to risk a few weeks or months of conflict and even more straitened resources against the prospective spoils from occupying the South again...
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    During all the threats from the North Koreans last April, President Park gave military commanders in the field the power to retaliate to an attack from the North without consulting the higher powers that be. So, no, next time the North try anything, the South Koreans will retaliate, emphatically. To roll over again would be political suicide as the South Korean population are no longer willing to be tolerant of provocation. The next time the North try anything, unfortunately for them, they will quickly find themselves in a shooting war.

But are they ready for another all out war with North Korea?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But are they ready for another all out war with North Korea?

The US would automatically get involved by backing up their South Korean ally and presumably there'd be a decisive shock and awe/thermobaric response to any North Korean aggression. I have no doubt that US war plans exist for such a scenario given the sheer insanity and unpredictability of the North Korean regime.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All I can say is whilst it may have taken an hour I hope they actually died quickly, whilst I don't have much feeling for anyone in the NK government that is a horrific way to die and shows what a vile barbarian bastard the leader is, and the more disgusting thing is that someone like him will sleep easy at night .