Alternatives to virgin media?

Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I live in an area with very poor TV signal, and getting a rooftop aerial isn't an option. By the looks of it the previous tenant had virgin media and used it for TV as well but as I'm with another internet provider I'm a bit reluctant about getting on of their TV only packages.

Is there anyway to use the cables to get a TV signal without having to sign up or am I stuck?

Comments

• Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cable supplies a digital cable signal which can only be decoded by a cable tuner.

Cable TV is by subscription only.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky??
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    The cable supplies a digital cable signal which can only be decoded by a cable tuner.

Cable TV is by subscription only.

Added to that, virgin are the only cable provider in the uk. Except the isle if Wight. Republic of Ireland have UPC.

Your only other options are:

Sky, and bt/talk talk youview. (Yes they use free view but the premium channels are internet streamed and you can use the box without the free view bit)
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talk talk would be your best bet most likely as their tv services are on a monthly basis and it's delivered via your internet connection, i believe BTs tv is the same too.
    Both use Youview which also has Freeview.
  • TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd assume TalkTalk and BT would not work for the main TV channels when the OP gets a poor TV signal through an aerial.

Virgin's TV only service starts from £11 a month with a V HD box and includes quite a few pay TV and HD channels: http://store.virginmedia.com/digital-tv/compare-tv/index.html

The only other option to get free TV would be to get Freesat installed http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/recommended/freesat-plus-with-freetime
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Some TVs have a cable tuner.
    None that I know of are capable of being used in the UK with VM though.
    Before anyone's says otherwise it is not illegal to connect your TV to the VM network. It may be against their terms and conditions but if you have not signed those so what.
    Nice try. See how far that gets you in court.
  • Sirius CSirius C Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None that I know of are capable of being used in the UK with VM though.

Nice try. See how far that gets you in court.

All DVB-C tuners are capable of getting the unencrypted channels if you know a couple of details about your area. That's the nature of an industry standard - it's universal.

It's not a legal matter - I don't see why the courts would get involved. It being a legal matter is an Internet forum myth propagated by current and ex-Virgin staff.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    Fair enough; but I don't know you and did qualify my statement :)
  • VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    If your internet is good, could you use chromecast combined with a tablet hooked up to your tv. Should get quite a few channels that way?