Options

Moved into rented flat - what service can I use

KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just rented a flat. They currently have a BT phoneline installed and nothing else.

My question is I might want to go with a broadband and TV service other than BT such as Virgin. ANd I know from years ago living at home, to get that service they had to drill holes through the wall and install some device which my landlord might not be happy about.

Is BT broadband my only choice? Please help me as I don't want to go without broadband for a whole week. :p

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    I have just rented a flat. They currently have a BT phoneline installed and nothing else.

My question is I might want to go with a broadband and TV service other than BT such as Virgin. ANd I know from years ago living at home, to get that service they had to drill holes through the wall and install some device which my landlord might not be happy about.

Is BT broadband my only choice? Please help me as I don't want to go without broadband for a whole week. :p

If you are unsure of which providers are available to you check out Samknows Broadband (Link). It can give you an idea of what providers are available to you. If LLU is avialable to you, it is recommended, because you can generally get much higher speeds from LLU providers (of course this is distance from the exchange dependant). Good examples of LLU providers are O2/Be (mind you recently they have had a few problems because of some issues). Sky (again this may be a problem because you said about your landlord) UKOnline are quite good, but their Wireless router is a mandatory £50 purchase I'm afriad to say. Try and avoid BT products if you can, they are terrible avoid Talk Talk, Tiscali and Orange as well, they are truly terrible especially Tiscali I have them and they are truly the worst.
  • Options
    S-T-E-V-ES-T-E-V-E Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speak to your landlord and ask whether they mind you having Cable installed. Most wont mind as long as you put it back to how you found it when you moved in.
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When very politely asking your landlord if it's okay to get another service installed, be sure to mention how it's an extra feature the flat would be boasting when he next looks to rent it out. I'd certainly consider a cable broadband/tv point already present to be a convenient bonus when moving somewhere.