Options

80s Singers We Liked Who Are Now Up Themselves

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the Eighties, everywhere and they could not do wrong - some people worshipped the earth the walked on:

Talking big time with this one:

Bono and Phil Collins (allegedly) to get the ball rolling:

Who else ?

Comments

• Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Novaman wrote: »
    In the Eighties, everywhere and they could not do wrong - some people worshipped the earth the walked on:

Who else ?

Madge obv.

She had a real sense of humour to begin with and irreverent. I think it'd be hard for younger people who only know Madge as the control freak/ice queen to really get that...
  • Options
    FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sinitta!
    (Of course she was only 2 in the 80s :D)

(only kidding, couldn't stand her then either!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatsia wrote: »
    Sinitta!
    (Of course she was only 2 in the 80s :D)

(only kidding, couldn't stand her then either!!)

Only 2 - never, she must have been telling porkies :D
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Madge obv.

She had a real sense of humour to begin with and irreverent. I think it'd be hard for younger people who only know Madge as the control freak/ice queen to really get that...

Agreed, though I still like most of her songs (her next album had better be an improvement on Hard Candy though)
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about 'up himself' but Sting seems to have become more ethereal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about 'up himself' but Sting seems to have become more ethereal.

Forgot him.

Whitney Houston is another - everyone loved her with her debut single and album, then the wig, sorry persona slipped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belinda Carlisle, she was liked in the 80's really but a few years ago live she was rude and walked off during a song leaving Jay Aston to finish it for her (and Jay was better live as well).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eviesmum wrote: »
    Belinda Carlisle, she was liked in the 80's really but a few years ago live she was rude and walked off during a song leaving Jay Aston to finish it for her (and Jay was better live as well).

Too much leaning over the sink, staring at the mirror in the ladies taking deep breaths when it comes to Belinda Carlisle ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boy George.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    saw paul rutherford (spelling prob not correct), from Frankie Goes To Hollywood. before they had hits. he had to be the most rude, arrogant and self obsessed person i have had the misfortine to encounter, buy holly johnson was lovely
  • Options
    WAKEYLASSWAKEYLASS Posts: 6,085
    Forum Member
    Leo Sayer was full of himself on celebrity big brother, he was more 70's though wasn't he?
  • Options
    funcifunci Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who else ?

Neither of those, in fact my mum stopped buying Phil Collin's records after he had the affair with the young girl.

Madonna for me. She was the ultimate queen of cool. Now she's just a miserable old bag.

I know he's not a pop star, but Nigel Havers refused to sign an autograph for me in the 80s saying he was 'giving a piece of himself away.' Even at the tender age of 10 I realised then he was a bit of a dick.
  • Options
    ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George Michael.

Why does he think it's fine to crack one off in public? None of the rest of us are allowed to!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bros, Banarama :D lol

oops i read it the title wrong lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boy George.

George isn't up himself. He's calmed down a lot. In fact, he has a far better grip on himself now than he's ever had. He has these strange moods but I don't think he's up himself. He seems quite down to earth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who else ?

Read a recent interview given by Phil Collins and he
    admitted that he has been too full of himself in the past
    Like him or not it's good to see that he is aware of this
    Can't see Sting ever admitting it though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I like his music but find Sting is up himself and very defensive. He is desperate to hide his accent.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if she is from 80s or 90s, but isn't Samantha Mumba still convinced she's a big star? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't she a bit of a Diva when she did DOI?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Jarvis Cocker said Phil Collins was the type to show you his pictures of him shaking hands with other popstars. Don't know if he was making it up...

Wonder how Limahl's doing? Is he too shy-shy or just plain ignored?
    (sorry)
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if she is from 80s or 90s, but isn't Samantha Mumba still convinced she's a big star? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't she a bit of a Diva when she did DOI?

Samantha is a total Diva. She did a program where a manager spent six months with her to try and relaunch her career. She turned up late for the first meeting and didn't even apologise. She didn't listen to any of his advice and was a total C U Next Tuesday the whole time.

She was having a concert in Dublin and ticket sales were abysmal. She had a slot on the Late Late Show (a popular Irish Friday night talk show) and the guy specifically told her not to mention poor ticket sales.

She ignored him and mentioned that sales had been low. The concert ended up being cancelled and the Press picked up on it and it turned out she had sold something like four tickets. The coverage made her a laughing stock.

Her attitude really let her down. At one stage Louis was managing her and she had some hits and was in a movie but nowadays no one will touch her with a barge pole.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mainly 2000s onwards, I think.

She wasn't even any good in the first place.

Ten years later, she is still deluded enough to think she is a big name performer.