The Tourist - Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be a good idea poorly executed. No matter what anyone says I cant imagine two A listers like Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie choosing such, what sounds like, a terrible film.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    It must be a good idea poorly executed. No matter what anyone says I cant imagine two A listers like Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie choosing such, what sounds like, a terrible film.

Angelina very rarely stars in a good movie and Johnny's movies haven't been all that great for a while.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't the worst movie of the year, by far, merely mediocre. It can be entertaining if you aren't expecting too much.
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Sorry. I had no idea the mere mention of a twist was considered a spoiler. :o

Yes it is, because not all movies have them. In a film like this there are a limited number of things that could happen that could be described that way. If you know there's a twist it's much more obvious what it is than if you don't even know there is one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    It wasn't the worst movie of the year, by far, merely mediocre. It can be entertaining if you aren't expecting too much.

Yes it is, because not all movies have them. In a film like this there are a limited number of things that could happen that could be described that way. If you know there's a twist it's much more obvious what it is than if you don't even know there is one.

Fair enough. It was just that I've seen so many people talk about "twists" in discussion threads for new films I thought it was okay. Still, I have apologised and I'll be more careful. I hate spoilers myself so I know how frustrating it is to be spoiled, even in a small, round-about way. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I cracked the outcome in 5 minutes, and you don't need a brain to do such. I actually really enjoyed the movie.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this recently, definetely not as bad as everyone's making it out to be. Depp and Jolie do their thing which they always do and realised the t***t halfway through but the film was quite enjoyable in a lightweight and frothy kind of way. Not a contender for worst film of the year. There are far worse contenders!

Nice to see Depp do something more modern and which isn't Captain Jack!
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite saying i wasn't going to watch this film, i did about 3 weeks ago, as it was the only film avaliable in a small multiplex. It really was as terriable as i had expected it to be and i feel a little bit disgusted with myself for contributing towards its box offie.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    The film itself was pretty mediocre, the story was fairly obvious, but I kinda enjoyed it strangely.

Angelina (although looking scarily thin) and Johnny both looked gorgeous, and acted it out fairly decently, and the film overall is visually stunning.
  • planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been meaning to go and watch The Tourist for absolutely ages...but always had a good reason for not actually making it. Bad weather, another film on that I also wanted to see that week, Tourist showing was too early, Tourist showing too late or and most of all I was put off by the hostile reviews.

Finally made it today. What an excellent movie it is. Lots of pace, action, drama and intrigue plus all the style of an early Bond film staring Sean Connery.

The critics said that there was no chemistry between Depp and Jolie. Well for those who haven't already seen the film...
    the lack of chemistry is the whole point of the plot and if you know that in advance then the clever ending is self evident
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I thought the film looked OK from the trailer (kinda Hitchcockian) but the trailer seems to reveal way too much.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Just watch anthony zimmer, it is probably better.
  • I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see this movie today, knowing absolutely nothing about it.

I thought it was so so - if I'd read this thread first I definitely wouldn't have bothered though.

My worst criticism of the film (not including the fact that you have to suspend belief about QUITE a lot of things!) was that Angelina Jolie was UBER irritating!! And she reminded me of a cross between Gerry Anderson's puppets Lady Penelope and Marina (Aqua Marrriiiiina).

xx
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depp is a good actor but Jolie is...not good, consequently I have little hope of this film being good.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this just didn't work , I'm sure they all had a lovely holiday in Venice but what a terrible film .
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds as bad as that cruise / diaz one which i cant remember the title of as i erased it from my brain. what is Depp doing these days, i'd be interested to see him in a good film to be honest
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it on Blu Ray very poor movie. The storey line was not good.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    sounds as bad as that cruise / diaz one which i cant remember the title of as i erased it from my brain. what is Depp doing these days, i'd be interested to see him in a good film to be honest

Knight and Day and it was a much better movie.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    I watched it on Blu Ray very poor movie. The storey line was not good.

The original was superior
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found it really boring :(