Cleaning prescription glasses

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone have any tips for removing stains from their glasses please? I think they could be splashes of oil from cooking, because they will not budge. Have tried the cleaning solution/wipes from the chemist, soap & water plus the old cleaning tip of using vinegar. Nothing seems to work.

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only use a mild washing up liquid in water solution on mine and it cleans them a treat. I don't do it very often though, normally when i struggle to see through them for a few weeks on a trott.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use alcohol wipes. They come up lovely.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    They aren't coated or plastic lenses are they? If so I suspect they may be indelibly marked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, i don't think they are coated, so these tips should be working! I'll try the washing up liquid again, but it seems like they are marked for good now. Didn't happen with my previous glasses, i was always able to clean them.
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A piece of raw silk, get one in an opticians. Works wonders.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Was it hot oil that splashed up? The opticians might be able to buff the lenses in some way, they polished out an annoying tiny scratch on mine somehow so it might be worth an ask :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I only use a mild washing up liquid in water solution on mine and it cleans them a treat. I don't do it very often though, normally when i struggle to see through them for a few weeks on a trott.

Mine are coated plastic,and Fairy Liquid is more successful than any branded spec. cleaners
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with everyone that's said dishwashing liquid. That usually works...

Are they hard, crusty oil stains or like mosaic looking ones?
  • Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take them back to the optician and ask their advice.

I could be a flaw in the lens and nothing to do with splashed oil - which shouldn't damage a prescription lens.

I once had a 'smudge' appear on a lens which turned out to be a flaw, and they replaced the lens free of charge.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were stains then all the things you've tried would have removed them. Sounds like damage to the lens from scratches or coating wearing off in patches. The optician will have the answer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    I agree with everyone that's said dishwashing liquid. That usually works...

Are they hard, crusty oil stains or like mosaic looking ones?

Like mosaic ones.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I might pop into the opticians and see what they suggest as it's a real pain when you've paid so much for glasses.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a box of pre-moistened lens cleaner wipes in a Wal-Mart store near Baton Rouge La.
    The manufacturer is Zeiss, they work well on the computer screen too.
    If they don't do the trick then I'd suspect an imperfection in the lens of your glasses.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always use those wet glasses wipes on mine, they seem to remove everything. My glasses always come up sparkling and looking like new.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I always use those wet glasses wipes on mine, they seem to remove everything. My glasses always come up sparkling and looking like new.

You wear glasses?
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    You wear glasses?

Yes, but only first thing in the morning and in the evenings. I wear contact lenses most of the time and only wear my glasses at home when I haven't got my contacts in!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put them in dishwasher.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Yes, but only first thing in the morning and in the evenings. I wear contact lenses most of the time and only wear my glasses at home when I haven't got my contacts in!

I think glasses look sooooo sexy on a woman lol. I knew you was hot, but knowing that has just sent my mind into compete overdrive :cool::p:D
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put them in dishwasher.

Wouldn't a boil wash with some persil work better?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't a boil wash with some persil work better?

Sneaky advertising eh?! ;)

I haven't tried as I am allergic to Persil but 65 degrees in dishwasher with a Fairy tab works very well. You can poach your salmon fillets at the same time too. :cool:
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sneaky advertising eh?! ;)

I haven't tried as I am allergic to Persil but 65 degrees in dishwasher with a Fairy tab works very well. You can poach your salmon fillets at the same time too. :cool:

Pay per click

I remember seeing a programme where they poached salmon fillets on the way to work in the car engine

It was all quite peculiar
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,517
    Forum Member
    Leave them in a bowl of warm soapy water to soften the fat then flick it of with your nails.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Leave them in a bowl of warm soapy water to soften the fat then flick it of with your nails.

While you are waiting? :confused:

Oh... :o

:D
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I use Aldi's glass cleaner. A big trigger spray costs about 79p. Smells nice too, like Appletise. Great for glasses and the TV screen, besides the windows, mirrors and picture glass.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    If you can find a camera shop (harder these days), cleaning stuff is available. But probably may as well goto opticians.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips for removing stains from their glasses please? I think they could be splashes of oil from cooking, because they will not budge. Have tried the cleaning solution/wipes from the chemist, soap & water plus the old cleaning tip of using vinegar. Nothing seems to work.

i found on amazon, does a fantastic job on glasses, flatscreen, your PC screen, leaves no smears :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-Cable-Family-Size-iClean/dp/B000EDVOFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363721997&sr=8-1