Remembering the television show "Frasier".

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just want to start this thread off by saying that in its first seven seasons, Frasier was one of the most cleverest, wittiest and entertaining sitcoms out there. However once Niles and Daphne get together by the end of season 7, the tone and the atmosphere of the show becomes a lot darker. While Martin, Frasier and Roz are still very good characters, Niles and Daphne just change for the worse.

Daphne in particular, becomes quite unpleasant and nasty to the rest of the characters. Miles away from the kooky, eccentric and quirky Manc she was in the early seasons.

While the show never gets as bad as Cheers and Friends in its later seasons, it is a massive shame that Frasier declines so rapidly when Niles and Daphne get together, as it should of been a turning point for the show in a good way.

Feel free to express your love or hate of Frasier in this thread!

Comments

• clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    I just want to start this thread off by saying in its first seven seasons, Frasier was one of the most cleverest, wittiest and entertaining sitcoms out there. However once Niles and Daphne get together by the end of season 7, the tone and the atmosphere of the show becomes a lot darker. While Martin, Frasier and Roz are still very good characters, Niles and Daphne just change for the worse.

Daphne in particular, becomes quite unpleasant and nasty to the rest of the characters. Miles away from the kooky, eccentric and quirky Manc she was in the early seasons.

While the show never gets as bad as Cheers and Friends in its later seasons, it is a massive shame that Frasier declines so rapidly when Niles and Daphne get together, as it should of been a turning point for the show in a good way.

Feel free to express your love or hate of Frasier in this thread also.

I loved Frasier too but I have to agree with you that once Niles and Daphne got together it was not quite the same. I would not say Daphne became nasty but she was certainly very different to the character she was at the start of the show as was Niles. There were some great episodes in the later series - the one with Derek Jacobi playing a ham actor was one of my favourites and the one where Daphne throws a dinner party and it all goes wrong - you're one of us now! My favourites episodes though are based on the sibling rivalry between Frasier and Niles.
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the show and just bought season 1 for my sons to watch. They are not a million miles off of being Frasier and Niles.

I think the problem with Niles and Daphne is that it wasn't convincing. Ive just recently watched their getting together and the awkwardness just shines through. I love David Hyde Pierce but think he struggled with love scenes. (Perhaps not helped by having to do love scenes with his real life best friend....)
  • chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    I love David Hyde Pierce but think he struggled with love scenes. (Perhaps not helped by having to do love scenes with his real life best friend....)

He's also gay, which may not have helped either.
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    The best comedy EVER. I just watched the episode where Niles and Daphne acknowledge their differences,with Frasier unhelpfully putting the piggy noise on the fridge:D
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite unlike his portrayal in Cheers this incarnation of Frasier wouldn't be seen dead on a bar stool, his adventures in dating quickly got tiresome; Niles was probably the only bearable character on the show.
  • J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Still a fine sitcom. It's dated in the obvious ways (fashion, references etc) but in my opinion good humour never ages. I do agree however it faulted towards the end which is a shame but I think most programmes have the same problem. The build up of a love story is often better then when it actually happens and the necessary character progression ends up completely changing the original much loved character.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    While the show never gets as bad as Cheers and Friends in its later seasons!

I agree about Friends but Season 11 of Cheers is imo one of the top 3 seasons (only 1 & 2 are better imo)
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite comedy of all time. Loathed Friends, liked Seinfield but could watch box sets of Fraiser over and over again. I do agree with the OP though, the Niles & Daphne scenario never really worked and I didn't like the progression of Daphne's character nor the inclusion of her ridiculous parody of an English family. The best scenes were between Frasier, Niles, Roz and the characters at the radio station.
  • J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    My favourite comedy of all time. Loathed Friends, liked Seinfield but could watch box sets of Fraiser over and over again. I do agree with the OP though, the Niles & Daphne scenario never really worked and I didn't like the progression of Daphne's character nor the inclusion of her ridiculous parody of an English family. The best scenes were between Frasier, Niles, Roz and the characters at the radio station.

Agreed, the brothers accents were hideous!!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    I hadn't really noticed what everyone is saying about Niles and Daphne :blush:

The only let down for me was that it turned into a farcical shows towards the end :( I'm not sure what series started it downfall but I really loved this show and that ruined it for me.

I loved Martin, very funny character :D But my dislike for Daphnes brother with the horrendous English accent made me mute him >:(
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of those shows I have seen bits of while flicking through the channels but never seen a whole episode. Along with Cheers, it's one sitcom i want to see from the start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just started watching it on Netflix

I think it's brilliant
    Damn sight better than Cheers

I am season 2 of Frasier and think it's a brilliant sitcom. Doesn't try too hard to be funny. Quite smart in it's writing. Incredibly strong supporting cast from Daphne, Miles, Martin and Roz.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Frasier, but I have to agree with everyone else who say that it went downhill when Niles and Daphne got together.
    I loathed Daphne's family, four of the worst actors and actress in the world, especially her mother (Millicent Martin)
    I also disliked Kenny the station manager and Bebe.
    And other thing ! I didn't like Ronee - the woman Martin went out with.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    I loved Frasier, but I have to agree with everyone else who say that it went downhill when Niles and Daphne got together.
    I loathed Daphne's family, four of the worst actors and actress in the world, especially her mother (Millicent Martin)
    I also disliked Kenny the station manager and Bebe.
    And other thing ! I didn't like Ronee - the woman Martin went out with.
    And who he married in the end!

Unlike many, I quite liked Niles and Daphne getting together.

I agree about Daphne's family and their ridiculous accents!

Loved all the references to the unseen Maris.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that Jane Leeves actual accent? Because the accent she has on Hot In Cleveland is very different. When i watched the pilot, i found her accent a bit cringey and i wondered whether she was trying to impersonate Jane Horrocks.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    And who he married in the end!

Unlike many, I quite liked Niles and Daphne getting together.

I agree about Daphne's family and their ridiculous accents!

I *really* wanted Maris to make an appearance in the final episode !
    But then again, I would probably have been disappointed !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the down turn in Fraser coincided with Niles and Daphne getting together then the death of David Angell (9/11)
    I have a theory that they deliberately gave Daphnes family OTT accents as the Americans do not really take much notice of all the different Brit accents in the same way we do. north/ south. posh/common etc Daphnes personality changed a little probably through gaining confidence and living with the Cranes 24/7 for so long
  • dazp123dazp123 Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Is that Jane Leeves actual accent? Because the accent she has on Hot In Cleveland is very different. When i watched the pilot, i found her accent a bit cringey and i wondered whether she was trying to impersonate Jane Horrocks.

Here's Jane on BBC breakfast a few years back talking about the accent
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13543479
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Even now when I see a greyhound I think of Maris. :D:p It just needs a pillbox hat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazp123 wrote: »
    Here's Jane on BBC breakfast a few years back talking about the accent
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13543479

Thanks
    Her actual accent is better

and for some reason i could imagine Maris being played by a rather butch overweight woman if she had been seen.

I think it is lovely that her and Peri are best friends in real life. Perri was there in the room when she had her daughter and is god mother to both her kids, as is David and John as well. I wonder why Kelsey wasn't.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Millicent Martin and Anthony LaPaglia (and Brian Cox to a lesser degree) ruin the later seasons of Frasier. I`ve watched them all in sequence several times on DVD and I have to force myself to keep going once the hopeless MM turns up. It seems no-one told her she wasn`t in a pantomime.

DVDs badly need a remaster and a re-release with commentaries. The picture quality is the worst I`ve ever seen on a major studio release.
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    I think the problem with Niles and Daphne is that it wasn't convincing. Ive just recently watched their getting together and the awkwardness just shines through. I love David Hyde Pierce but think he struggled with love scenes. (Perhaps not helped by having to do love scenes with his real life best friend....)

Regardless of DHP's sexuality or he and Jane's close friendship I think he played the infatuated secret admirer brilliantly and very convincingly until it was ruined by getting the characters finally together. The 'sexual chemistry' in Moon Dance where they dance the tango beautifully together at a ball is probably one of the best ever episodes, funny and genuinely moving when Niles realises Daphne had just been dancing in 'character'.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    It's timeless. One of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

"Oh some boys go to college, but we think they're all wussies, 'cause they get all the knowledge, and we get all the... oompda oompda oopdma dadadada" :D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    It's timeless. One of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

"Oh some boys go to college, but we think they're all wussies, 'cause they get all the knowledge, and we get all the... oompda oompda oopdma dadadada" :D

:D:D:D:D that episode was on the other day.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who when walking through the perfume department in a department store thinks..

"Frasier, that woman over there tried to mace me!"
    "It was a cologne sample Niles"