Options

Will this years highest scorer fail to win the series????

Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For the past few years now on Strictly the contestants that do well the first couple of weeks and appear contenders to be guaranteed the win have never won the show. Do we think the same will happen this year???

Comments

• Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abbey was top of the leaderboard week 1, Louis was top of the Week 1/2 combined leaderboard, and Kara was top of the leaderboard week 2. I'd say the only recent winner who got off to a slower start was Harry?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Abbey was top of the leaderboard week 1, Louis was top of the Week 1/2 combined leaderboard, and Kara was top of the leaderboard week 2. I'd say the only recent winner who got off to a slower start was Harry?

What I meant was.

The early front runners from the series. Like

Pamela / Jason / Denise / Natalie.

All failed to win cause many thought they had no where to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it depends on how much of a dirty ringah they are...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how much of a dirty ringah they are...

LOL :D

Every year I love the millions of DS users who post. "OMG she is such a dirty ringah she went to Drama school so she must have learnt DANCE!!!!" The horror >:(

Look forward to this seasons......
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Pamela / Jason / Denise / Natalie.

All failed to win cause many thought they had no where to go.

All lost because younger celebs finished more strongly? This is popularity content and we don't see who is actually top of the public vote until the final, and given last years result it may well change during the final. The judges votes in the early weeks have nothing to do with the final outcome, despite all the conspiracy theories about the producers manipulating the audience.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    davegold wrote: »
    All lost because younger celebs finished more strongly? This is popularity content and we don't see who is actually top of the public vote until the final, and given last years result it may well change during the final. The judges votes in the early weeks have nothing to do with the final outcome, despite all the conspiracy theories about the producers manipulating the audience.

There is only one factor that counts - the "X factor", as the Strictly final is on one week after X-factor is finished.

All the tweenies who were obsessed with X-Factor now have nothing to vote for - so latch onto the Strictly contestant that appeals to them the most.

hence most recent winners
    Abbey - younger WAG
    Louis - Sporty hunk
    Harry Judd - boyband hunk
    Kara - young actress who played a "nice" soap character.

Consider this year's finalists appeal to a 14 year old Tweenie
    Sophie - who? I wasn't born when she had hits
    Susanna Reid - she's like so old - it's like my Mum trying to dance
    Natalie - oh she's that horrible Kirstie who beat up Tyrone - I hate her.

These voters have not seen any previous shows so have not got to "know" the contestants like the rest of us regular viewers.
    Nobody who had watched Strictly last year could possibly have confused Natalie with her "nasty" character from Corrie, she was warm, sparkling and just loving being able to dance with Artem. (I was not a "fan" of hers btw but appreciated how good she got and how much she loved dancing)

Until they "carry over" the public votes from all the previous shows into the final - the winner will be decided by the "X-factor" vote.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    There is only one factor that counts - the "X factor", as the Strictly final is on one week after X-factor is finished.

All the tweenies who were obsessed with X-Factor now have nothing to vote for - so latch onto the Strictly contestant that appeals to them the most.

Abbey - younger WAG
    Louis - Sporty hunk

Actually, I personally think that Abbey, Louis, Harry and Kara won because they were all great dancers. I voted for some of them and I'm not a tweenie by any stretch of the imagination! :D
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Abbey - younger WAG
    Louis - Sporty hunk

These voters have not seen any previous shows so have not got to "know" the contestants like the rest of us regular viewers.
    Nobody who had watched Strictly last year could possibly have confused Natalie with her "nasty" character from Corrie, she was warm, sparkling and just loving being able to dance with Artem. (I was not a "fan" of hers btw but appreciated how good she got and how much she loved dancing)

Until they "carry over" the public votes from all the previous shows into the final - the winner will be decided by the "X-factor" vote.

This theory doesn't stand at all.
    That's not true. I remember you say the same exact thing last year. The problem is that you have really no way of knowing who votes and I think that you are far on the left with your assumptions.Just like the other person who posted above me, I voted for ALL of these winners and I'm not a teen.
  • Options
    luigy39luigy39 Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moonbean wrote: »

Abbey - younger WAG
    Louis - Sporty hunk

Actually, I personally think that Abbey, Louis, Harry and Kara won because they were all great dancers. I voted for some of them and I'm not a tweenie by any stretch of the imagination! :D

I couldn't agree more
  • Options
    RhythmIsADancerRhythmIsADancer Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Yes, because, at the end of the day it has NOTHING to do with dancing (unless the judges can get them in the dance off)!

It's always been a soap star popularity contest, which really annoys me as I avoid soaps like the plague!

The best DANCER should always win, not the one with the highest 'celeb' following. We've seen so many 'best' dancers not win over the years that it makes a mockery of the series.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, because, at the end of the day it has NOTHING to do with dancing (unless the judges can get them in the dance off)!

It's always been a soap star popularity contest, which really annoys me as I avoid soaps like the plague!

The best DANCER should always win, not the one with the highest 'celeb' following. We've seen so many 'best' dancers not win over the years that it makes a mockery of the series.

The thing is, when you have a competition where a public vote is involved, popularity and likeability will come into it. Jason/Denise/Natalie might have been technically good, but the 'likeability' wasn't there. I also think that when a celeb is regularly at the top of the judges' leaderboard, viewers will think "There's no need to vote for him/her - even if he/she ends up in the dance-off, the judges will save him/her".
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this year's highest scorer fail to win the series? Possibly. Probably. Inevitably.

I have given up expecting the judges' scores to reflect either the quality of the dancing or the identity of the eventual winner. It is a pantomime, and I have to remind myself of this every year. My two favourite winners remain Alesha and Kara, neither of whom got a perfect score despite being responsible for some of my favourite dances that I re-watch on a regular basis. On the other hand, their average score over their respective series put them firmly in front so they were, technically, the highest scorers.

Johartuk is right - there has to be a combination of good dancing and likeable personality for the GBP to vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of whether the show is or isn't a popularity contest, it seems a bit harsh to pin it on soap stars. In 11 series, only 7 finalists have been soap stars and the 2 of them that ended up winning were both easily arguably the best dancers in their series.