Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am jealous of those meeting oscar pistorius!

met phillip glennister once and he was very nice
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    Heather_ER wrote: »
    I also met JK Rowling at a book signing, she was lovely. So genuine and humble to everyone there. We asked one of the staff how many people were there and they told us over 2,000 and she signed for every single one. I told her how much Harry Potter meant to me and she shook my hand and said "thank you very much, that means a lot to me". So the previous post about her does shock me.

Really? She couldn't have just had her "public face" on at the book signing?
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work as a support teacher and some of the girls in one of my classes met Marcus Collins off X Factor and said he was so rude to them. Really big headed apparently. Made out it was taking up his precious time by posing for pics. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    i was once in a hotel waiting for the lift at the same time as Simon Webb from blue it was back when they were big-ish and he was so up himself and ignorant!!!! i wasnt even talking to him or even wanting to talk to him yuck!!!!!!
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Greg something like two years ago, and he was a genuinely nice chap.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor was another one with great charm. Happy to have photos taken of her and have a chit-chat.

:) I don't know why she didn't get bigger, she was great.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tulip19 wrote: »
    [/B]
    :) I don't know why she didn't get bigger, she was great.

She must have done. She got pregnant, didn't she?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She must have done. She got pregnant, didn't she?

They most likely meant career wise. :D
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Last Saturday I was my local Tescos looking for inks for my Epsom printer...Not having my glasses with me :rolleyes: I was having a bit of trouble seeing the very very very small writting on the side of the boxes. Then I asked a rather nice looking young man who was also looking for inks as well if the one Id picked was ok? He said no and helped me look couldnt find the one I wanted. Anyway as he was walking away I thought I know his face :rolleyes:

Turns out it was BB1 winner Craig ..he is really really somebody Id spend my dinner money on ;)
  • Romola_Des_LoupRomola_Des_Loup Posts: 3,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would take me a few days to scour the thread to see if it's been mentioned, but Paul Daniels is a nasty racist c*k.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I work as a support teacher and some of the girls in one of my classes met Marcus Collins off X Factor and said he was so rude to them. Really big headed apparently. Made out it was taking up his precious time by posing for pics. :eek:

Have met Marcus too, I know exactly what they mean. He told me, "You better be quick" when I asked for a picture...
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would take me a few days to scour the thread to see if it's been mentioned, but Paul Daniels is a nasty racist c*k.

Ooh, do tell:eek::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Rik Mayall is by far the nicest celebrity I have ever met. I am a fan of his so I have met him three times now, at a book signing and outside the stage door etc. He makes sure to stay until he has met and posed/chatted with every fan who is there. My favourite meeting with him was years ago on my birthday, he gave me a huge bear hug and signed a photo and my friend mentioned it was my birthday so he hugged me again. He went round the rest of the fans and then before he got in his taxi, he came back to me, said "Happy Birthday Sam" (remembered my name), leaned in, gave me a peck on the lips and another big hug!.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    It was def Chris Packham, he lived near me in Southampton and used to get his Aston serviced at the same mechanic as me. I didn't freak him out, he just got all celeb on me. I just said something like, 'Oh hello, I thought I recognised you!' Two lone adults in park witth our kids, thought it might have broken the ice etc, my friends kids had even started playing with his daughter.

I think he's a very private person. I met him last night and he was perfectly normal.
  • SFD1968SFD1968 Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Met Terry Pratchett at a book signing at Waterstones Derby for Jingo, and he is a nice chap who really seems to appreciate his fans.
    Also met Phil Cool (won't mean anything to those under 35) at another book signing at WH Smiths in Derby about 25 years ago, and he was brilliant. He was sat there with a huge queue of people, but he took the time to talk and chat with everyone who was waiting, not to mention doing his faces and voices.
    Met a few footballers over the years (all Derby County players), and again, all of them seemed to be happy to stop and talk.
    I've never yet met a celebrity who is unpleasant, but then that's probably just luck.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't me but my friend who lives in London was just yesterday sat behind Zayn Malik on a bus. I asked if he spoke / did anyone orgasm over him / was he harassed and he just said "Nah, it was just me and a bunch of business men on the top deck who I don't think had any clue who he was..."
    Made me chuckle.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    SFD1968 wrote: »
    Also met Phil Cool (won't mean anything to those under 35) at another book signing at WH Smiths in Derby about 25 years ago, and he was brilliant. He was sat there with a huge queue of people, but he took the time to talk and chat with everyone who was waiting, not to mention doing his faces and voices.

I used to love Phil Cool! He had a heart attack a while back which kept him in hospital for quite a while. He sort of semi-retired - but after you're post I googled him to see what's happening - and he's got a tour going on until mid next year! I'm going to go and see him! Thanks for bringing his name up!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyR27rcxi3w
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    Ooh, do tell:eek::D

Ok. It was in the 70's and he'd just started to get some TV work and was becoming well known. He was the star guest of the Middlesbrough Magic Circle's annual show, the rest of the cast being amateur magicians. He made some racist remark (can't call it a joke, it was a remark about too many 'blacks in the country' but I'm not even sure that he was polite enough to even say 'blacks'). then he said 'We haven't got any in tonight, have we?' (pretending to scour the audience) - 'You don't know they're there till they laugh.'

Having tested the water with those beauties, we were treated to remarks about 'pakis' and 'wogs' several times during his act. I was only about 13 at the time and there with my family. I still wish I'd walked out.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes..someone mentioned Phillip Glenister earlier. Very nice and so was his brother Robert. .

Joe Pasquale was nice too. Wasn't getting an autograph or a picture - they were just about and chatting in theatres.

Oh..probably no one remembers Rob Newman of Newman and Baddiel but he was great...chatting in the bar. Rather shy but chatty and at the time, absolutely stunning looking. :)
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Liverpool FC legends John Aldridge & David Johnson in April when I went to Anfield. They were both lovely. Real nice guys who made time for everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. It was in the 70's and he'd just started to get some TV work and was becoming well known. He was the star guest of the Middlesbrough Magic Circle's annual show, the rest of the cast being amateur magicians. He made some racist remark (can't call it a joke, it was a remark about too many 'blacks in the country' but I'm not even sure that he was polite enough to even say 'blacks'). then he said 'We haven't got any in tonight, have we?' (pretending to scour the audience) - 'You don't know they're there till they laugh.'

Having tested the water with those beauties, we were treated to remarks about 'pakis' and 'wogs' several times during his act. I was only about 13 at the time and there with my family. I still wish I'd walked out.

I'm absolutely not making excuses for him, but wasn't that what unfortunately passed for humour in the 70's? I'm just thinking back to programmes such as Love Thy Neighbour......
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm surprised he didn't blame it all on the Labour government of the time, the nasty little Tory supporter :mad:

Every election Paul Daniels threatens to leave the UK if Labour get in, frankly it's good enough reason for people to vote Labour ;)
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    I'm absolutely not making excuses for him, but wasn't that what unfortunately passed for humour in the 70's? I'm just thinking back to programmes such as Love Thy Neighbour......

Can't speak for Paul Daniels (although I think he is an annoying little ****) but Love Thy Neighbour was NEVER funny - even back then.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

Every election Paul Daniels threatens to leave the UK if Labour get in, frankly it's good enough reason for people to vote Labour ;)

After the 1997 election, the People sent a removal van to his house, and offered him a one-way plane ticket to anywhere.

Sadly, he didn't accept their kind offer.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    After the 1997 election, the People sent a removal van to his house, and offered him a one-way plane ticket to anywhere.

Sadly, he didn't accept their kind offer.

He didnt like it, not a lot!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It obviously did with a lot of the audience. But stuff like 'Love thy Neighbour' mostly had jokes against prejudice. And Daniels 'jokes' jarred with me, even as a very young person, so it certainly wasn't universally approved.

Edit to say that there are 'racist' jokes which work as jokes, i.e,, they are funny, and you can imagine someone who isn't actually racist still laughing. Daniels 'Jokes' weren't funny, they were akin to the ones that Ann Winterton got into trouble for telling to her Conservarive association . A racist joke relies on stereotypes. If it uses the stereotype in a funny way, it's possible to still sometimes laugh without actually buying into the stereotype. Daniels and Wintertons remarks kind of just quote the stereotype as if that's enough on its own. Does that make sense to anyone?