Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    ITV have done everything to ensure IAC didn't do a BB and turn into an expensive flop, by BB's ninth series, the writing was on the wall that the show was dying, but IAC in its ninth run still does very well. OK we're not likely to see 15 million viewers again, as more people have digital now and the novelty of the show has worn off, but 8-9 million is still very good considering the celeb reality genre has been in a steady decline since the loathsome Love Island was cancelled.
    Talking of Love Island, a couple of months ago 'ITV Insider' on Twitter randomly asked people if they thought Love Island was any good and if it should come back. And yesterday one of its contestants (Bianca Gascoigne) said that she'd talked to a couple of ITV people and there was talk about it returning.

It's probably not exactly 'Love Island' but it does look like ITV are lining up some kind of new reality show (maybe the rumoured one with Ant & Dec) for next summer to grab the ex-BB audience.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if this will be moved to E4 on a lower budget as almost everyone has digital now and it could become their flagship show now BB has gone. I reckon this would be the best move to save the show, which I think still has a future but not on a main network.
    so Hollyoaks is to E4 what Neighbours is to ELEVEN?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v139/wamdue/?action=view&current=160px-Eleven_logo.png

notice anything fimilar?
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Talking of Love Island, a couple of months ago 'ITV Insider' on Twitter randomly asked people if they thought Love Island was any good and if it should come back. And yesterday one of its contestants (Bianca Gascoigne) said that she'd talked to a couple of ITV people and there was talk about it returning.
    excuse me whilst I go buy some symtax, and look up the adderss of ITV HQ.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's probably not exactly 'Love Island' but it does look like ITV are lining up some kind of new reality show (maybe the rumoured one with Ant & Dec) for next summer to grab the ex-BB audience.

Dear god, no, no and NO! Please... no. :eek:
  • Options
    MandyBudMandyBud Posts: 170
    Forum Member

LMFAO! Classic, if true. :D:D:D Oh ITV, I do love thee. *shudder* what next the return of Celebrity Wrestling?
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Dear god, no, no and NO! Please... no. :eek:
    MandyBud wrote: »
    LMFAO! Classic, if true. :D:D:D Oh ITV, I do love thee. *shudder* what next the return of Celebrity Wrestling?
    Lol. I'm pretty sure it won't be 'Love Island' (under that name) as its ratings were terrible for its second series and a massive PR disaster. But it seems like ITV are looking to have a similar type of show from recent reports/rumours - i.e. people in a foreign place living together, not necessarily 'Love Island', could even be that rumoured 'I'm a Civilian' show.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Bad night for Hollyoaks but I suspect Home and Away won't have done much better. H&A is rating below par as well at the moment, going from a solid 1.0-1.1m a night for the 6pm showing this time last year, to just 0.8-0.9m now. A rather big year-on-year drop, and the viewers don't seem to be hurrying back despite improved storylines as the investigation into Penn's disappearance continues. Neighbours was down as well earlier in the year but it recovered.

I think it just proves given the slide in Australia as well what a failure the show's change in direction has been this year. Ray Meagher might not like it, but the viewers have spoken and middle-of-the-road relationship based drama isn't doing it for them. The endless teen romances just bore me to tears. We need the nutjobs back in Summer Bay! I thought we were back on track with Penn, but the writers appear to have killed him off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    Thanks rzt. Dickinson does really well in that slot, and it makes the decision to recommission The Michael Ball Show even more confusing as he didn't rate anywhere near as well (share-wise) as Real Deal or even Daily Cooks Challenge do in that slot.

Difficult time slot. Perhaps the actual viewing figures gave a better impression. I imagine that most of Michael's target audience would be working and recording the show, or doing the school run once the kids had gone back to school. I wonder how many viewer were tuning in over the week.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    I wonder how many people watch EastEnders in HD considering its only upscaled at the moment.

A few hundred thousand watch Emmerdale which isn't HD, so I'm sure many BBC One viewers have made BBC One HD their default BBC One channel.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Bad night for Hollyoaks but I suspect Home and Away won't have done much better. H&A is rating below par as well at the moment, going from a solid 1.0-1.1m a night for the 6pm showing this time last year, to just 0.8-0.9m now. A rather big year-on-year drop, and the viewers don't seem to be hurrying back despite improved storylines as the investigation into Penn's disappearance continues. Neighbours was down as well earlier in the year but it recovered.

I think it just proves given the slide in Australia as well what a failure the show's change in direction has been this year. Ray Meagher might not like it, but the viewers have spoken and middle-of-the-road relationship based drama isn't doing it for them. The endless teen romances just bore me to tears. We need the nutjobs back in Summer Bay! I thought we were back on track with Penn, but the writers appear to have killed him off.

Home and Away always had 3 million viewers less than Neighbours at the height of Aussie soap mania, so its lower ratings don't surprise me. However, there are weeks on BARB's Channel 5 Top 30 where Home and Away struggles to reach 29 or 30 and I do wonder if it's tanking permanently. I only know one person who watches it now.
    However, back in the day it was better than Neighbours as the plots were a bit darker and there was an Australian Mr Bronson figure called Fisher.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Home and Away always had 3 million viewers less than Neighbours at the height of Aussie soap mania, so its lower ratings don't surprise me. However, there are weeks on BARB's Channel 5 Top 30 where Home and Away struggles to reach 29 or 30 and I do wonder if it's tanking permanently. I only know one person who watches it now.
    However, back in the day it was better than Neighbours as the plots were a bit darker and there was an Australian Mr Bronson figure called Fisher.

It doesnt help that the 6pm H&A airing is actually the 3rd showing

Fiver 6.30 500k
    Five 2.15pm 400k
    Five 6pm 1.0

Nearly half the audience watch the show before the 6pm showing im sure at its "five" peak 6pm was the new episode...especially before Fiver(Five Life) existed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Including HD:

ITV1
    20:30 - I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here!: 10.17m (38.0%)
    * 15-minute peak: 10.94m (39.9%) @ 9pm (inc HD)

ITV2
    22:00 - I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here Now: 1.21m (5.8%)
    * series high

Please source in future: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s100/im-a-celebrity-uk/news/a291445/eclairs-im-a-celeb-exit-draws-102m.html
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Island could work... :eek::p:rolleyes:

I really don't see it happening. Now that News at Ten is back and ITV don't really spend any of their programming budget after 9.59pm, expect on a Saturday, I don't see where it would go.

It never used the Corrie lead-in to any advantage in previous summers.

Although in saying that, ITV does have naff all to show all summer, so maybe its a cheap way to fill those primetime slots and win a young demo. It will make them money for not much effort...

I think what is certainly true is that Peter Fincham realises ITV's future is in event TV - whether that is I'm a Celebrity, X Factor or Downton Abbey. He needs to find more of it and particularly cheap things that get solid audiences mid-week.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    MandyBud wrote: »
    Gotta get the excuses in early I suppose. :D Just kidding, I genuinely think people will be surprised next week.
    For people that predcit Lower then 15million either don't have a clue or JUst playing the ratings down IMO

I'll be very surpised if Corrie isn't over 15million and that 17m that i keep going on about looks even more likely

so Far this weekend

There's been quite a few adverts of ITV1
    Every newspaper and TV mag have run quite a lot of coverage on corrie's 50th (some Front page stuff)

Radio1 even promoted it and then there's when they show it throughout the x factor/IAC final.

I think the weather will also benefit the LIVE episode
    and i don't buy the whole 'People are xmas shopping' line

I know for a fact Come next week (or when ever the officials are out)corrie will be the most watched show of 2010 (it could be overtaken by the XF though?)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    For people that predcit Lower then 15million either don't have a clue or JUst playing the ratings down IMO

I'll be very surpised if Corrie isn't over 15million and that 17m that i keep going on about looks even more likely

so Far this weekend

Every newspaper and TV mag have run quite a lot of coverage on corrie's 50th (some Front page stuff)

Radio1 even promoted it and then there's when they show it throughout the x factor/IAC final.

I think the weather will also benefit the LIVE episode
    and i don't buy the whole 'People are xmas shopping' line

I know for a fact Come next week (or when ever the officials are out)corrie will be the most watched show of 2010 (it could be overtaken by the XF though?)

While all this may be true, it says something that Eastenders is the front cover Buzz magazine on the eve of C/S biggest ever week.
    Coronation Street deserves to hit big in its anniversary week, but the live episode ratings, like EE, are in part down to the live element and comparing the two is part show merit, but also part lottery regarding how big the pool of casual viewers is. Whether C/S gets a million more or less isnt really saying anything.

The only things standing against XF are the shows length and the fact that Wagner has gone. The BBC are effectively showing a test card in opposition-had they shown SCD 7.30 to 8.00 on the Sunday there would have been little chance of anything stratospheric.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    While all this may be true, it says something that Eastenders is the front cover Buzz magazine on the eve of C/S biggest ever week.
    Coronation Street deserves to hit big in its anniversary week, but the live episode ratings, like EE, are in part down to the live element and comparing the two is part show merit, but also part lottery regarding how big the pool of casual viewers is. Whether C/S gets a million more or less isnt really saying anything.

The only things standing against XF are the shows length and the fact that Wagner has gone. The BBC are effectively showing a test card in opposition-had they shown SCD 7.30 to 8.00 on the Sunday there would have been little chance of anything stratospheric.
    Yes i notice that Ryan and Janine from EastEnders has the front cover of BUZZ but then i don't think that magazine is that good anyway and infact i miss the old TV guide from the sun which was actually better then the ones you pay for
  • Options
    ToadieTheLawmanToadieTheLawman Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    It doesnt help that the 6pm H&A airing is actually the 3rd showing

Fiver 6.30 500k
    Five 2.15pm 400k
    Five 6pm 1.0

Nearly half the audience watch the show before the 6pm showing im sure at its "five" peak 6pm was the new episode...especially before Fiver(Five Life) existed.

so overall the show gets around 2 million a day that's not bad. Didn't Neighbours peak 1.2 this week at 6pm? Perhaps the show needs to show trailers to increase its viewership at 6pm
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dear ITV1

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please bring back Love Island and strip it in the schedules every night at 9pm for three weeks.

Yours sincerely,
    Danny Cohen, Controller BBC1
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »

Except they never shown any adverts about it during The X Factor, instead focusing on the I'm a Celebrity Final and Kerry Katona's ITV2 show.

Numpties.

X Factor finished at 21:22, Attentional will remove the 21:20 to 21:25 block. I'm a Celebrity started at 21:24.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Except they never shown any adverts about it during The X Factor, instead focusing on the I'm a Celebrity Final and Kerry Katona's ITV2 show.
    Ah well, there's always tomorrow night for that.

There's been coverage in the tabloids every day this week. I can't remember 'Enders getting written about quite so much, although 50 is obviously a bigger deal than 25.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Numpties.

X Factor finished at 21:22, Attentional will remove the 21:20 to 21:25 block. I'm a Celebrity started at 21:24.
    Yeah i noticed! I had to sit through much of the x factor whille eating dinner:cry:
    I was actually surpised but i still think tommorow they will show quite a lot of adverts seeing as Sundays XF rates higher does it not?
    I fully expect them to show some through IAC final though
  • Options
    Forum Member

There's been coverage in the tabloids every day this week. I can't remember 'Enders getting written about quite so much, although 50 is obviously a bigger deal than 25.
    Yeah they had nowhere near this kind of press for their 25th
    It's like corrie is the only TV show on the planet:eek:
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    But the BBC would schedule two half hour episodes of EastEnders instead of an hour long edition. The first half hour episode would be at 7.00pm when the X-Mas factor started. The second would be at 8.30 after Strictly which would have been watched instead of X-Factor as they had already been watching BBC1!
    Of course we had the benefit of hindsight - but somebody has to blink first, and ITV1 could have release their schedule at 2.29pm!

Re: Hollyoaks - for a Friday episode 960,000 without C4+1 isn't an absolute disaster - will probably be 1.1-1.2m with C4+1, and earlier in the week it was at around the 1.5m mark, whilst E4 showing have gone back to comfortably over 500,000 most nights. The revamp might not be boosting the ratings as quick as some people would like - but when you put it in the context of C4's drama output this autumn only This is England performed consistently better.

P.S. In other news according to Sky (sec 3.4) from Feb 1 2011 Sky HD viewers will see HD channels swap with the SD counterparts in the EPG, though there will be some exceptions (BBC/ITV unlikely to switch due to regional issues).
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    so overall the show gets around 2 million a day that's not bad. Didn't Neighbours peak 1.2 this week at 6pm? Perhaps the show needs to show trailers to increase its viewership at 6pm

As far as im aware

1345 800,000
    1730 1,300,000
    1900 200,000

I just think Neighbours is a more popular show then H&A but if Neighbours was first chance on Fiver i think both the 1.45 and 5.30 would be down to around H&A's figures
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am not sure in comparison with the anniversary shows, but there is no doubt Eastenders generally does very very well out of a host of tv supplements and gossip magazines. Perhaps its because it supposedly leans younger in its audience.

I think EE is going to miss Lacey Turner, Iv lost count of the awards she has won of the last years and it seems she has a large fanbase.
This discussion has been closed.