Patch test

DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I dye my hair at thome every two month or so, ranging from mid brown to black and all the reds in between.

The advice on the packet is to do a patch test, as an allergic reaction could occur even if youve never had a rection before. But i always reasoned I'd need to buy two packs (as the packs say to use the stuff right away) and also, I could do a test and get no reaction, but then put the dye on the next day and get a reaction. I feel the advice is the as a disclaimer for the producers.

But, I've been scaring myself with horror stories about people having reactions, their faces swelling up, ending in hospital. It's all down to a chemical called PPD and the darker the dye, the higher the chance of a reaction.

Does anyone else actually do tests? What's the chances of a reaction really, like have I got more chance of winning the lottery?

Comments

• TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always do the patch tests as I have pretty tempremental skin at the best of times so have to be careful as sometimes it flairs up and I get a reaction for no apparent reason. I think especially if you are using darker dyes verging to the blacks you do have to be very careful as these reactions can just suddenly flair up so better safe than sorry. I tend to stick to red for dying my hair. I'm not scare mongering and the likelyhood of a reaction is probably minimal and its good to be aware of the risks just don't panic yourself with them.

So far I've been ok. I only buy one kit though. You are only doing the patch test a few days before using the product and mines turned out absolutely fine. I basically got a cotton bud and dipped it in and did the patch test that way I get a few funny looks for having a coloured patch behind my ear mind you but it was ok I guess as long as you don't leave the bottles open and obviously don't make up the dye straight away into the finished product then it should be fine.

I don't think you will suddenly have a major reaction but I would err on the side of caution.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    I always do the patch tests as I have pretty tempremental skin at the best of times so have to be careful as sometimes it flairs up and I get a reaction for no apparent reason. I think especially if you are using darker dyes verging to the blacks you do have to be very careful as these reactions can just suddenly flair up so better safe than sorry. I tend to stick to red for dying my hair. I'm not scare mongering and the likelyhood of a reaction is probably minimal and its good to be aware of the risks just don't panic yourself with them.

So far I've been ok. I only buy one kit though. You are only doing the patch test a few days before using the product and mines turned out absolutely fine. I basically got a cotton bud and dipped it in and did the patch test that way I get a few funny looks for having a coloured patch behind my ear mind you but it was ok I guess as long as you don't leave the bottles open and obviously don't make up the dye straight away into the finished product then it should be fine.

I don't think you will suddenly have a major reaction but I would err on the side of caution.

how do you patch test though, do you mix the whole of the dye up?
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you patch test though, do you mix the whole of the dye up?

The instructions that came with mine said exactly what to do and I don't have box to hand at the moment so trying to go off of memory a bit. I use Garnier Nutriesse Foam Dyes so instructions could vary a bit.

You basically open your bottle of colour, dye whatever you want to call it basically before you mix it with the developer , you dip a cotton bud into it and dab a spot on the skin behind your ear repeat a couple of times let it dry in between and then leave for 48 hours and if there is no reaction then you mix up the dye as instructed and off you go.

The link gives pretty much the same instructions and again just check what the instructions are with whatever pack you have bought in case there is anything different but you don't actually make it up to do the patch test as such.

http://www.becoloursafe.com/ConsumerSkinTest.php