Good Morning Britain - ITV

Comments

• oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those two plus Ben and Kate Garraway! We've got the original team back! They'll only need Andrea back to do the weather as well. I would love it. :)

(I mean it!)

When Daybreak flopped they should have just restored GMTV.
    Its a commercial Station so within a month any humiliation would have passed.
    It seems so weird because they change the name but various presenters from the GMTV remain.

There is something seriously amiss between Reid and Shepard they barely make any eye contact when she talks to him its just that he never starts the conversation and barely turns his head.
  • welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan. Car crash televison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mugwuff wrote: »
    "British people dont want a fast paced breakfast show". Dont they?! Or is it just oldies that dont? The Big Breakfast was very popular.

The pace was much slower today. yesterday It was like some middleclass lady after a herbal enema. totally manic for no good reason Those 8:20 interviews make no sense by the time first Question is asked its nearly time to end the segment.

If C5 wanted to really get another show going for a potential sale A big breakfast type show could just be the ticket perfect lead in for the Wright stuff then.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think UTV have the contract to do breakfast news on the ITV breakfast licence (same as STV don't up here). It was a company called McMillian IIRC. No UTV/STV branding.

UTV and STV resumed providing news for itv Breakfast from January 2013, I assume they still do.

"Until January 2013, Macmillan Media produced Daybreak Northern Ireland weekdays at 06.15, 07.15 and 08.15. UTV, the local ITV contractor had not produced the bulletin since December 1994 due to a dispute between GMTV and UTV. UTV were replaced during GMTV (now Daybreak) by Reuters, followed by ITN, then Macmillan Media.

Macmillian Media began providing the GMTV news bulletins in Central and Northern Scotland. The two bulletins, both known as Daybreak Scotland shared the same team, and were broadcast from the same building in Glasgow.

It took over the contract when GMTV did not renew STV's contract to supply early morning Scotland Today and North Today bulletins. STV had supplied GMTV with its news since the breakfast channel took over from TV-am in 1993.[1] From its Glasgow office, Macmillan Media began its Scottish service on 3 December 2007.[2]

From January 2013 ITV Daybreak bulletins were provided by UTV and STV."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macmillan_Media
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I've only seen snippets so far but here's my opinion. When it started at 6am today, by 602 all we were being told was how Robbie Williams was going to be a dad again, and a debate on the marital status of zac efron. Who cares? On gmtv/daybreak you would have a full news round up within the first 6 or 7 minutes, then certainly on the newshour more analysis of the top news stories of the day. If gmb is meant to be more newsworthy, then they are failing massively so far. Yes it will take time to get used to the new format but as many have said, there's far too much going on, and far too many graphics on screen. And
    It's clearly inspired from America, well if I wanted an American style breakfast show I'd move to the USA. So far, not that impressed, but I'll stick with it, for now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    I really do think If this flops ITV will just giveup on some grand relaunch again and over the next few years just gently revert back to a GMTV style format

They did just that with daybreak after it was relaunched in 2012, and I for one actually liked how it was before it ended. Good presenters, cozy and warm tones, just what you need at breakfast time, not what's greeting our screens now, too formal, there's nothing cozy about gmb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So exactly how much of this rebranding money went towards crates of Red Bull and bags of cocaine? I'm all for a warm welcome from fresh faces but frankly I am amazed at the hyperkinetic style they went for given it's a morning show. However, Good Morning America had hip hop dancers twerking by 8:22 AM a while back when Flo Rida was a guest so I imagine we'll see Susanna Reid twerk before the summer is gone to some dirge by Dappy who gets asked to comment on the growing instability in Eastern Europe before replying "It's proper mad, man, innit?" and asking if anyone wants to see his penis.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 days! Let them settle in for Pete's sake!:cool::-)
  • inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think UTV have the contract to do breakfast news on the ITV breakfast licence (same as STV don't up here). It was a company called McMillian IIRC. No UTV/STV branding.

STV resumed providing local breakfast news from January last year. Not sure about UTV.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,689
    Forum Member
    JoshuaRy wrote: »
    Excuse me, but what on earth have you been watching? At both 6am and 7am, Ann's story has been the top story, followed by reports on Ukraine and various other things... ALL before Robbie Williams and Will & Kate...

I didn't suffer the first hour, :p however they did greet us at 7am with 'it's three years since Will and Kate's wedding, then the blistering news that Robbie Williams has managed to inseminate his wife, hurrahh ....... then they got onto the headlines and the real news.

It may have not been classed as 'news headlines' but that is what I heard imediately after the opening intro music.
    In fact you are wrong, as the main lead stories are the tragedy of the school stabbing, cancer survival rates. The stories you mention are not at the top of the story list. Why do people have to come on here to spout hate, just because they don't like a program.
    TOP NEWS STORY: Digital Spy readers like different programs, big woop! Let's just watch what we like and get on with life for goodness sake.
    (sorry for rant)

This forum would be a very boring place to come to and read if we were only allowed to post positive comments.

We can watch what we like of course, nothing on here is stopping you doing that, but you read comments on here at your own volition, please don't castigate us for posting what we feel, and having a go at us for it. There have been many negative comments about the show so far, looking at this thread I am nowhere near in the minority!!
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are getting the sequence at the top of the hour confused with news headlines. Just because they mention it at the top doesn't mean it is the main news.

BBC Breakfast will mention at the top of the hour that they will be doing a light feature later in the programme, that doesn't mean it is the top story, and it doesn't mean that on GMB either.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems very repetitive so far .

Weird recorded link to the local new seems a bit odd swell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like the new programme but do wonder how Robbie Williams being a father merits top story status and also merits a live link to Hollywood. Is Robbie huge in America?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet the recorded link to local news is one of the first things dropped when they do a review.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So exactly how much of this rebranding money went towards crates of Red Bull and bags of cocaine? I'm all for a warm welcome from fresh faces but frankly I am amazed at the hyperkinetic style they went for given it's a morning show. However, Good Morning America had hip hop dancers twerking by 8:22 AM a while back when Flo Rida was a guest so I imagine we'll see Susanna Reid twerk before the summer is gone to some dirge by Dappy who gets asked to comment on the growing instability in Eastern Europe before replying "It's proper mad, man, innit?" and asking if anyone wants to see his penis.

LOL I never thought I would agree with Kay Burley but when she tweeted about the need for lying down after watching. the tone was a lot calmer today but the iffy Camera angles were out in force as were Reid's Legs :blush:

think the future was there today much more use of the sofa desk still present but after watching that show on BBc2 about the launches of Breakfast TV the desk even then was seen as a barrier between presenters and Viewers so why they thought it was a good idea this time?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member

I don't understand the local news links. Ben says "now its time to find out whats happening where you are" before name checking the presenter. That sort of defeats the purpose, if they insist on keeping that (although I imagine it will be dropped soon), it would just be better to say "now its time to cross to Good Morning [region] with [presenter]".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Hilary Jones though.....all those chairs behind the desk and the sofa area and they make him stand in front of the desk like he's facing the headmaster. Cant be good for the varicose veins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a paper review...that would fill time and give opportunity for viewers to comment.
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hilary must be nearing Pension age any time soon

He was a patronising boring fk 20 yrs ago and he remains such
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    Hilary must be nearing Pension age any time soon

He was a patronising boring fk 20 yrs ago and he remains such

Must be miffed the budget didnt stretch to a seat for him tho.
  • roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, second top story is Prince Harry splitting from his girlfriend with a guest to talk about it. Is this the serious journalism Susanna was poached for?
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it, although I lived in the US so am used to this type of format. I am bored with the BBC breakfast format and this makes a nice change. No perma-happy Carol Kirkwood either, which for me is a bonus!
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does Susanna always look like she dosen't want too be there??
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    Why does Susanna always look like she dosen't want too be there??

Because she doesn't she would rather be at home like all of us would rather than working.

I really don't like this little groupy chat thing it's ok if it's spontanous not part of the planning.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone give a banana about the royals? Why are they news? Yes... sports.