Options

Denise Lewis is an awful athletics commentator

Comments

• Options
    Captain TimberCaptain Timber Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I agree here. Pickering/Coleman/Storey were part of the golden age of sports commentary
    Couldn't agree less re David Coleman.

Exhibit A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFSUpLFO2ZU

Arguably Team GB's greatest ever athletics race. The commentary is bland and banal, his trademark "....a.a.a.a.and the American* is beaten" just doesn't cut the mustard. Commentary-by-numbers. He made it about as exciting as watching Songs of Praise......

*substitute whichever nationality the second place runner is representing in that particular race.

Exhibit B
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhiVdReN6uw

I rest my case ;)
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    Steve Cram is a dreadful presenter apart from when he is commentating on an actual race. He has nowhere near the competence of an actual skilled presenter like David Coleman. He has no comprehension of what he needs to tell the viewer. Brendan Foster has much more of an idea how to do it. Michael Johnson is excellent. Most of the rest of the former athletes are poor to mediocre in comparison.

The problem with Steve and Brendan (and they ain't on their own) is they don't know when to shut up.
    They've often so little to say during marathons, that they constantly repeat themselves or say the same thing in three different ways. They've little idea what are the historic buildings on which the cameras often focus during the London Marathon, other than Tower Bridge.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with Steve and Brendan (and they ain't on their own) is they don't know when to shut up.
    They've often so little to say during marathons, that they constantly repeat themselves or say the same thing in three different ways. They've little idea what are the historic buildings on which the cameras often focus during the London Marathon, other than Tower Bridge.

You're right, of course. Cram is only good for commenting on races that go around a track. He knows even less about the New York marathon route than he does about London. I think someone gave him a script for the Olympics so he knew a few Chinese landmarks and places of interest to mention. They need to give him one for London as well.
  • Options
    Captain TimberCaptain Timber Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    At the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, the womens marathon went off a little while before the mens - all the women finished in the MCG, then the men arrived shortly after. Cram and Foster mistook a 'less than attractive' back marker in the womens marathon for a course intruder at the front of the mens race - funny as hell!!
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find their continual brown-nosing over Paula Radcliffe very annoying
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC have a history of engaging "named" athletes as pundits.

They tried Cathy Freeman in the 2004 Olympics.
    The poor woman couldn't string a comprehensible sentence together.
    She made a rapid exit from their team.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    CaroUK wrote: »
    She surely cannot be any worse that the lovely Sally Gunnell??? Can she???

Yes she can.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barneyross wrote: »
    Same here.

The BBC just need the athletics collossus that is Michael Johnson, nobody else.

To the OP, if you think Denise Lewis sucks as a pundit, you should have seen her presenting the sports news on BBC Midlands Today :eek: Truely car crash tv!

Yes, she was pretty crap, from what I remember!
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,024
    Forum Member
    She seems to be more of a fan than pundit jumping around and getting excited every time we have a home athlete doing well..
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Roger Black, when he was doing it, was very poor. All he did was simper and sniffle whenever a Brit lost, and couldn't keep any composure. Very unprofessional.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Yes, she was pretty crap, from what I remember!

And another thing, her getting pregnant was convenient for MT as she could leave by mutual consent!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    And another thing, her getting pregnant was convenient for MT as she could leave by mutual consent!

Some people are just not adapted to certain environments(applies to everyone in some way I would have thought), Denise is seemingly not a natural when it comes to broadcasting. She maybe ok at giving a few opinions but anchoring a slot is another thing altogether.
    Some people grow into the role-Gary Lineker was very stilted when he started as a pundit iirc but whatever anyone's views on him the Beeb gave him arguably the biggest anchor role in British tv history -so he must have got better ;-)
    Others-Otis Deley for instance, have nightmares. And there was a guy who presented live Crimewatch slots some years ago who I got the impression had a slight speech impediment-at least a nervous one.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whereas Leon Taylor who commentates on the diving is excellent.
    He works as a public speaker and it shows.
    Wouldn't be surprised if the BBC use him for more stuff
  • Options
    Guy_WelbournGuy_Welbourn Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Not a fan of Paula Radcliffe either. Very much in the background and has nothing of interest to say.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    I thought Roger Black, when he was doing it, was very poor. All he did was simper and sniffle whenever a Brit lost, and couldn't keep any composure. Very unprofessional.

All I remember of Roger Black is his stuttering and flinging his hands about.

Speaking of no composure, I think they tried Linford Christie for a while as well. He'd say a few words then burst out laughing. :D

A lot of the top athletes turn out to be hopeless presenters/commentators. Not many make the transition. I don't really feel Denise Lewis brings very much to the programme, but they seem to keep her on.

Paula Radcliffe as a commentator always sounds a bit nervous and uncertain. And she keeps needing to clear her throat!!
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    For me - the best is on the Red Button for the Athletics - Katherine Merry.:cool:
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    All I remember of Roger Black is his stuttering and flinging his hands about.

Speaking of no composure, I think they tried Linford Christie for a while as well. He'd say a few words then burst out laughing. :D

A lot of the top athletes turn out to be hopeless presenters/commentators. Not many make the transition. I don't really feel Denise Lewis brings very much to the programme, but they seem to keep her on.

Paula Radcliffe as a commentator always sounds a bit nervous and uncertain. And she keeps needing to clear her throat!!

I remember Linford Christie doing that....:D He was totally unsuitable for punditry and they, quite rightly, quietly 'retired' him.
  • Options
    LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,419
    Forum Member
    Not keen on Katherine Grainger on the sports she has been commentating on. I can't put my finger on why she doesn't seem very good at it.

Beth Tweddle seems very good as does Rebecca Adlington, both new this year to the job.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    LazySusan wrote: »
    Not keen on Katherine Grainger on the sports she has been commentating on. I can't put my finger on why she doesn't seem very good at it.

Beth Tweddle seems very good as does Rebecca Adlington, both new this year to the job.
    I've not heard Grainger commentate, just do pre-scripted reports on different events.
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LazySusan wrote: »

The BBC is fast becoming the home of retired sports stars.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

A couple of weeks back it was the Usain Bolt show on BBC Three. Every couple of minutes it was chat and build up to his race. They even had a countdown clock :rolleyes:

They had one on the other night before the relay race last night as well.
    Gave me enough warning to turn over.

He wasn't a pundit but Amir Khan's non-double act with John Inverdale was the most pointless for me. " .........., the crowd were great ?", "that was a tough match ?", and other searching singular questions.

Unfair to single out Denise Lewis, apart from the swimming / pool lot and Michael Johnson they have all been bad.
  • Options
    MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly OT but did you see the kid getting told off for tomfoolery behind someone being interviewed? :p
    Clip> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqbfK9_uPYc
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barneyross wrote: »
    No way they'll get rid of Colin Jackson either. He ticks two boxes in the bbc's minority quota - Black and gay.

I have the answer,

Michael Johnson In A Tutu.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    The BBC is fast becoming the home of retired sports stars.
    The BBC is not alone. Take a look at Sky Sports for example. All sports presentation on all channels is like this. Moving into media punditry is a well established career path for ageing sports stars.

Denise Lewis isn't a commentator so how can she be an awful one? She's ok as a pundit, and she's good to look at so what's the problem?
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of Paula Radcliffe either. Very much in the background and has nothing of interest to say.
    don't you poo-poo Paula. She is capable of doing that herself.

Denise probably ticks the BBC ethnic + woman boxes. She only has to lose a leg in a freak girl-on-girl accident, and she'll probably end up running the channel.
    allafix wrote: »
    She's ok as a pundit, and she's good to look at so what's the problem?
    Same problem as why they probably won't put Susanna Reid in the 110m hurdles. I know, they definitely got that one wrong.