Options

Celebrity Reveal 2014

Comments

• Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Update
    8 contestants announced so far (unexpected ones in italics, those age under 30 in bold))

1. Frankie Bridge
    2. Judy Murray
    3. Alison Hammond
    4. Thom Evans
    5. Simon Webbe
    6. Mark Wright
    7. Sunetra Sarker
    8. Jake Wood

Firstly, Simon's 36, and secondly, Alison was rumoured quite a few times before her announcement. :)
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    No, it means exactly what I posted in post 86. OK, it is not the meaning that you have (which is, if I might say, an old meaning which has long been superceded), but it is a meaning that has been in common use for many years now, and a meaning that commonly understood and generally accepted..

Having said that, I do object to the term when it is used to describe someone who's only claim to fame is to have appeared in one or more reality TV programmes and nothing else.
    That probably explains it - I am old with old fashioned standards and am very happy with that.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Heard of 5. Alison Hammond I hadn't heard of, and upon reading her bio, hadn't heard of her for good reason. Basically Big Brother alumnus with occasional slot on This Morning. Even Mark Wright's done more than her!

I disagree. Alison has a proper career as a showbiz interviewer. It might not be super high profile, but she's been in a regular job for years, and has kept it because she's good at it. She's well liked by a lot of the big film stars who she interviews.

Mark might get in heat magazine more often, but he's not actually done anything like singing, acting or presenting.
    There is really no such thing as a famous tennis coach (unless the coach is a former top player, like Andy's current coach).

She is just like the Abbey's and Penny's from the past, her selection is not directly based on her profession. We all know that, right? And reading (out) her whole CV won't change that fact.

Though it does make for a rare change to see a celebrity getting defended on their credentials (it is usually the other way around).

I think it's an interesting one. Arguably, being captain of the British Fed Cup team should be enough to give a tennis coach a certain amount of name recognition, which is presumably why people are defending her inclusion. No-one would complain about them booking the manager of the England football team, as it's a role that normally generates plenty of attention. That said, they weren't queuing up to get Leon Smith on the show, but maybe people like Leon and Judy should be better known for their day jobs than the likes of Mark Wright.

I'm not generally a fan of people being on shows because they are related to someone more famous, but I reckon being the mum of two Wimbledon champions (don't forget Jamie won the mixed doubles) who played a major role in their development is very different from an ex-girlfriend. Prior to her Fed Cup days, Judy was responsible for developing the young tennis talent in Scotland, which was more than her two sons. She was actively involved in progressing the teenage careers of Colin Fleming, Elena Baltacha, and Jamie Baker.

I don't think it's fair to blame Judy for the British Fed Cup team not doing great at the last outing, or make daft complaints about the opposition not being full strength, because we were missing our top player (Laura was injured), and Heather was not long back from illness, and not at her best.

Just this week she's mentored the British under 18s in the Maureen Connolly Challenge Trophy, in which the Brit girls beat the Americans 8-2.

It will be interesting to see how much they mention the other stuff, or if they just stick with "watched Andy win Wimbledon". It will be a shame if they do the latter, but as far as I can tell, she's on the show because she loves to watch it, not to convince everyone she's got a day job.
  • Options
    Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update
    8 contestants announced so far (unexpected ones in italics, those age under 30 in bold))

1. Frankie Bridge
    2. Judy Murray
    3. Alison Hammond
    4. Thom Evans
    5. Simon Webbe
    6. Mark Wright
    7. Sunetra Sarker
    8. Jake Wood

I'd say Jake Wood was unexpected too! His name only cropped up the other day and then bam, confirmed today :cool:
  • Options
    CallmepitstopCallmepitstop Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Backshall also confirmed, according to DS
  • Options
    chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    ^ Thanks, Callmepitstop. :)

Update
    9 contestants announced so far (those age under 30 in bold))

1. Frankie Bridge
    2. Judy Murray
    3. Alison Hammond
    4. Thom Evans
    5. Simon Webbe
    6. Mark Wright
    7. Sunetra Sarker
    8. Jake Wood
    9. Steve Backshall
  • Options
    Icarus17Icarus17 Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I have to be honest: I'm deeply underwhelmed by the "celebrities" announced to date. The only one I had heard of without having to look them up is Judy Murray. Normally I know who most of them are other than the soap opera / long term drama series stars. This time, nope, including the rugby player. I must confess I'm a bit apprehensive: is it all going to be a bit low key this year? And if so, with all the changes this year, are we approaching the end of the run? And let's be honest: eleven series is pretty good going for Saturday night light entertainment.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Icarus17 wrote: »
    I have to be honest: I'm deeply underwhelmed by the "celebrities" announced to date. The only one I had heard of without having to look them up is Judy Murray. Normally I know who most of them are other than the soap opera / long term drama series stars. This time, nope, including the rugby player. I must confess I'm a bit apprehensive: is it all going to be a bit low key this year? And if so, with all the changes this year, are we approaching the end of the run? And let's be honest: eleven series is pretty good going for Saturday night light entertainment.

That, or you're living under a rock.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way I see it, even if you don't recognise all contestant by name or by appearance, you should be able to work out that if someone is in Eastenders, Casualty or a pop group with a string of hits, that they are famous/celebrities, by most normal standards.

Often, especially with soap stars, I don't recognise the names, but with someone like Sunetra, I recognise the face, and have seen and rated her in loads of things. She just doesn't do the rounds of the chat shows or have a strong desire to be a "celebrity" appearing in any publication that will have her. She's someone who, as far as I can tell, keeps herself to herself, but has a long and successful career in several big hit tv dramas. Maybe she's doing SCD because she wants to get more name recognition as she's twigged people think you are a failure unless you grace the cover of the glossy mags, or because she loves the show, or because her mum loves the show.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    That, or you're living under a rock.
    If by "living under a rock" you mean that we should all watch everything on TV that doesn't interest us including soaps or "serial dramas" as they like to call them to make them sound more interesting (I watch Corrie but none of the others), Big Brother, The Only Way is Essex, Made in Chelsea and all the other scripted so-called fly-on-the-wall offerings, I'd rather remain under the rock.

I know who Jake Wood is because he's the reason I decided to stop watching EE - when his character was having sex with Stacey against a toilet wall saying "I luv yer Stace. Can't geh enuff of yer Stace." That's when I realised what rubbish it was.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member

Which is something I have heard more often on this forum. That begs the question really, who did you know from last year's cast? Susanna is probably a given, but think that most of the others were also a mystery?

Can't see anyone in that case knowing SEB or Abbey, for instance.

Out of the nine celebrities, there are only 4 that I actually know (and no, assuming Andy has a mum does not count in my book :D). Last year there were 5 or 6 celebs that I didn't know and this year will probably be the same (assuming Caroline is in, we are already at the same number).
  • Options
    boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the fact that the producers are dredging in the sewers of reality TV for contestants may suggest so :D
  • Options
    CallmepitstopCallmepitstop Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I haven't heard of very many of this year's contestants either. That won't stop me watching. :)
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I haven't heard of very many of this year's contestants either. That won't stop me watching. :)

I think the target audience this year is definitely for the younger generation. They want to "steal" X Factor viewers as well as keep the balance with the loyal fans.

So I hope the next names will be celebs we all know *cough* Brian Blessed :D *cough*
  • Options
    BruciesToupeBruciesToupe Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a brilliant line up thus far!! Love it! Hoping for a wide open competition - can't wait 😃😃😃😃😃😃
  • Options
    yorkshire belleyorkshire belle Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott mills confirmed on radio 1 by Craig this morning
  • Options
    chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Update
    10 contestants announced so far (those age under 30 in bold)

1. Frankie Bridge (girl band)
    2. Judy Murray (Andy's mum)
    3. Alison Hammond (ex-Big Brother)
    4. Thom Evans (ex-rugby player)
    5. Simon Webbe (ex-boy band)
    6. Mark Wright (ex-TOWIE)
    7. Sunetra Sarker (Casualty actress)
    8. Jake Wood (EastEnders actor)
    9. Steve Backshall (naturalist &TV presenter)
    10. Scott Mills (radio DJ)
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update

Adding in everyone's ages - or rather, the age they'll be when Strictly starts, since Judy's birthday is at the beginning of September!

1. Frankie Bridge, age 25 (girl band)
    2. Judy Murray, age 55 (Andy's mum, tennis coach/pundit)
    3. Alison Hammond, age 39 (ex-Big Brother, TV presenter/interviewer)
    4. Thom Evans, age 29 (ex-rugby player)
    5. Simon Webbe, age 36 (ex-boy band)
    6. Mark Wright, age 27 (ex-TOWIE, TV personality)
    7. Sunetra Sarker, age 41 (Casualty actress)
    8. Jake Wood, age 42 (EastEnders actor)
    9. Steve Backshall, age 41 (naturalist, TV presenter)
    10. Scott Mills, age 40 (radio DJ)
  • Options
    R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    We now have 3 unconfirmed female celebrities left and 2 unconfirmed male celebrities left. I hope one of the females is younger than 25. Really hoping Georgia May Foote (Katy from Corrie) will sign up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Update

Looks like Scott Mills got in after Greg James turned it down.

Steve has the most impressive CV by miles. Now, that's what I call a real TV presenter. :D
  • Options
    R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    My hopes for the last five celebrities - 2 of the males to be under 30. 2 of the females to be under 25. And the 3rd one over 25.

Females:
    Pixie Lott - 23, Singer
    Georgia May Foote - 23, Coronation Street actress
    Anna Williamson - 31/32, Television presenter

Males:
    Ben Foden - 29, Rugby Player
    Ashley McKenzie - 25, English judo athlete

(I can only dream) lol
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Are they doing the final announcement on The One Show?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    My hopes for the last five celebrities - 2 of the males to be under 30. 2 of the females to be under 25. And the 3rd one over 25.

Females:
    Pixie Lott - 23, Singer
    Georgia May Foote - 23, Coronation Street actress
    Anna Williamson - 31/32, Television presenter

Males:
    Ben Foden - 29, Rugby Player
    Ashley McKenzie - 25, English judo athlete

(I can only dream) lol

Gregg Wallace has to be in. He needs the money and he's confirmed that he won't be at the winter food fair in Birmingham (busy with SCD?). Another male name that's recently popped up is Robert Lindsay.

Caroline Flack has been heavily rumoured for yonks, while the latest female name I've heard is Kelly Hoppen of Dragons Den.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I saw that one tweet about Robert Lindsay, I think it's just conjecture
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam33 wrote: »
    Gregg Wallace has to be in. He needs the money and he's confirmed that he won't be at the winter food fair in Birmingham (busy with SCD?). Another male name that's recently popped up is Robert Lindsay.

Caroline Flack has been heavily rumoured for yonks, while the latest female name I've heard is Kelly Hoppen of Dragons Den.

I agree that it's very likely he's in the line up but I was wondering how do you know he needs the money? I should think he's very well off with all the media opportunities he gets from the BBC and elsewhere/his business interests and he's even been known to boast about how well he's doing financially - although curiously it didn't stop one of his businesses going under - his arrogance is one of the reasons I can't stand him. I just assumed he was doing strictly because he likes the show and wants an even bigger media profile.