Options

Dr Who Ratings Thread

Comments

• Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know when BBC1+1 will begin broadcasting?

and do figures from the +1 channels count towards the overnight figures or the time-shifted ones?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks Yog.

That's a big first day jump. Have you also posted this in GB?

Hopefully we should get over the 7 million average. ;)
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Is that because so many people watched it the very next day, or later that evening?

It just seems the feeling now is people do want to watch it but less see it as a priority to watch it live. Which is a bit disappointing because obviously people aren't quite as into it as they used to be but certainly doesn't put the show at any risk.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be watching live from the 13th onwards - don't count this as a measure of my commitment :p
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question, what ratings did Deep Breath get from the Sign Zone repeat on BBC Two and the repeat on BBC Three, and any time-shift from these repeats?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    Question, what ratings did Deep Breath get from the Sign Zone repeat on BBC Two and the repeat on BBC Three, and any time-shift from these repeats?
    The Thursday late night repeat of Deep Breath had an overnight audience of 0.12 million viewers, a share of 5.9% of the total TV audience, while the Friday BBC Three showing had 0.32 million watching, a 1.6% audience share. The AI for the Friday repeat was 86.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/08/deep-breath-final-uk-ratings.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DrOswald wrote: »

Thanks:), but do we know the time-shift figures that emanate from those repeats?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Predicting an AI of 85, by the way. Though all of my predictions have been terrible.

Getting slightly better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Better than DB (which I guess had a lot of people who wouldn't normally tune in watch it out of curiosity and remain unimpressed) although still on the low side for DW. Puts it on par with the lesser liked episodes such as Nightmare In Silver and Victory of the Daleks.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think the very good word of mouth should help the timeshift go high, and should benefit next weeks too. The problem with 7B's ratings, while still very good, is that Rings of Akhaten was received very poorly quite early on, and did a bit of damage to Cold War's timeshift, onwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think the very good word of mouth should help the timeshift go high, and should benefit next weeks too. The problem with 7B's ratings, while still very good, is that Rings of Akhaten was received very poorly quite early on, and did a bit of damage to Cold War's timeshift, onwards.

Good point, love your username by the way.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dunno, while Rings of Akhaten was poorly received by the hardcore fans, who tend to disect every little scene and fact of the show, when you look at the episodes AI, with 84 it wasn't that different from the other series 7B episodes except Name of the Doctor or indeed Into the Dalek, which scored the very same AI as Rings.

There were plenty of the die hard fans hating on Asylum of the Daleks, but with the general audience the episode actually scored one of the highest AIs for the show, 89 for exampe. I don't think the fandom reaction is a good way to gauge the general audience's reaction to the show tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just for comparison, the 11th Doctor's era had an AI average of 86-87. So 84 is a bit below par still (not as bad as DB which was really down - the other openers were between 86-89).

Series 7 averaged in the 86s even with a run of so-so 84 eps like Nightmare In Silver and Rings because of the strength of eps like Asylum and Bells. Essentially it seems that the changes in style and lead haven't overall made people like the show any more than they were for most of the second half of last series so far.
    There were plenty of the die hard fans hating on Asylum of the Daleks, but with the general audience the episode actually scored one of the highest AIs for the show, 89 for exampe. I don't think the fandom reaction is a good way to gauge the general audience's reaction to the show tbh.

Not at all. What the fandom enjoys is definitely not the same as what your average 'watches it on Saturday night and then thinks no more until next week' viewer enjoys. Tbh I would expect Robots to be better received because it's far more enjoyable than the first two but I can also see chunks of the fandom deriding it for being daft.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    It just seems the feeling now is people do want to watch it but less see it as a priority to watch it live. Which is a bit disappointing because obviously people aren't quite as into it as they used to be but certainly doesn't put the show at any risk.

Why be tied to a fixed schedule decided by a third party when you have the technology to watch it at a time that suits you?
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yog101 wrote: »
    Ratings update:

Live + VOSDAL: 5.195m
    + Day 1: 6.474m

That's a good start to the timeshifting for this week.

Heading in the right direction.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Does anyone know when BBC1+1 will begin broadcasting?

If the BBC Trust approves the Executive's plans, BBC One +1 will start in autumn 2015, at the same time as BBC Three closes as a linear TV channel (as the +1 channel will use BBC Three's spectrum on Freeview). It is planned to run from 20:00 onwards each evening (timeshifting the period from 19:00 onwards), as it will timeshare with CBBC, as BBC Three does now.
    and do figures from the +1 channels count towards the overnight figures or the time-shifted ones?

Some people don't like to count them at all; most do include them in the total figure (including the majority of media outlets), or state them separately (like DS). +1 figures are available in both the overnight and consolidated ("official") data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X Factor dropped 1.3m on overnights. I imagine it will be axed.

:cool:
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Puts it on par with the lesser liked episodes such as Nightmare In Silver and Victory of the Daleks.

Also puts it on par with Amy's Choice which is one of my personal favourites and also an episode which is reasonably popular amongst fans.

AI values can be pretty strange.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Some people don't like to count them at all; most do include them in the total figure (including the majority of media outlets), or state them separately (like DS). +1 figures are available in both the overnight and consolidated ("official") data.

I think it should be fine to include them once the playing field is level, at the moment it feels wrong to me to lump +1 while the BBC doesn't have a comparable service. For the time being, at the moment i personally prefer to see them separated out.
  • Options
    Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ratings update:

+ Day 2: 6.806m
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yog101 wrote: »
    Ratings update:

+ Day 2: 6.806m

Thanks Yog!

Looks like it could reach 7.2m.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks Yog!

Looks like it could reach 7.2m.

Yep... If the show keeps getting over 7m the old average should be maintained. ;)
  • Options
    Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You also have to remember whilst BBC Iplayer ratings is not included in this, the BBC clearly hold it in high regard because i'm always seeing it advitised to catch up on Doctor who.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I am making an assumption that whilst Doctor Who's final viewing figures could be up by about 2m on the overnight, the X-Factor will remain pretty constant?