Options

Campaign to Get "Cankles" Grimshaw Signed Up By Record Company

SeanHunterSeanHunter Posts: 1,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is all very well and good, but it just smacks of pity really.

Cankles certainly deserved to stay the night he got the boot to allow Katie to stay in, but that doesn't mean to say he's a recording artist.

All these online petitions and Facebook campiagns are nothing if people don't put their hands in their pockets and buy his records - and lets face it, they didn't bother to vote when he needed them, so i doubt if a record company is going to take a punt on him.

I could see him modelling for Top Man or River Island. He very much embodies their look at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Cankles? do you have a pic?

yeah, I don't think these campaigns will work, and if they do I don't think it will be a major label. He left too early, but he didn't deserve to leave....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely title. Anyway, he's trended 15 days in a row and already has an (unannounced) modelling contract with Elite London I think. Hopefully enough for him to get a deal with an independent label at least.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Roamed wrote: »
    Lovely title. Anyway, he's trended 15 days in a row and already has an (unannounced) modelling contract with Elite London I think. Hopefully enough for him to get a deal with an independent label at least.

That doesn't surprise me at all, he looks like a model.
    I reckon he'd get a record deal regardless of the campaigns
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that there has to be a "campaign" indicates that he isn't good enough. People should stop feeding any delusions the poor boy has about a music career.
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Lucie was signed by a label and she left week 5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. It's lovely you have given him a pet name too. :p

He has a not incredibly huge but devoted fanbase, yes we might have been complacent and not voted but I'm sure alot of people are willing to buy his stuff.
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member

Trending a million days in a row isn't that useful though, as it's the same people making him trend each day. All it proves is that the amount of people needed to trend are prepared to buy his record (which might not be strictly true). It's not like they'll buy his album 15 days in a row.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member

Ugh, Elite London would. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm...so the people who didn't pay 35p to vote for him and begging for him to release an album which will be around £8 - £12...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rombod wrote: »
    Trending a million days in a row isn't that useful though, as it's the same people making him trend each day. All it proves is that the amount of people needed to trend are prepared to buy his record (which might not be strictly true). It's not like they'll buy his album 15 days in a row.

Very true, but I think the point of it is mainly to show that there is a fanbase, however big, and to generate a little publicity which is obviously something that's needed by a commercial act (so far it's been reported by the Daily Mail, OK Magazine, Digital Spy and a few other websites). I'm not kidding myself, he's never going to be massive, but I'd like him to be able to make an album at least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyri wrote: »
    Hmmm...so the people who didn't pay 35p to vote for him and begging for him to release an album which will be around £8 - £12...

There's no correlation between voting on the x factor and buying records as we've seen. People spent loads of money voting for Joe but didn't buy his records did they? Plus people didn't vote for Cher either and if she wasnt saved twice she would've come 8th and she has a record deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    No-one except a Sony label can sign him until after the tour, in March, and I imagine Sony have their hands full at the moment. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get a deal.
  • Options
    wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    I like Aiden I think he is interesting and I think (as far as you can tell without hearing any of it) he is likely to make an interesting album, given the chance. However, there is no correlation at all between votes received on the XF and musical success and even less between that and Twitter. Aiden has a huge Twitter following at least partly because he spends half his life on there replying to fans, which encourages more tweets etc etc.

However, if said fans are fanatical enough and are all prepared to buy his album (which they may well be) then he would be assured a reasonably successful album. I assume this is preferable to record companies than taking a chance on a complete unknown.

I certainly think it cannot do any harm to have a vocal support base . If an idependent label were to sign him up I think he would do well for them and himself. It's obvious that he doesn't want to play the plastic pop star game - if he had he could have done that on XF and his looks alone would have got him to the top 4. I really wish him well and you never know its just possible he could turn out to be the one.
  • Options
    Dave HawkDave Hawk Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    spunk_1 wrote: »
    There's no correlation between voting on the x factor and buying records as we've seen. People spent loads of money voting for Joe but didn't buy his records did they? Plus people didn't vote for Cher either and if she wasnt saved twice she would've come 8th and she has a record deal.

A bit of common sense should have told SyCo that disconnecting Joe, musically, from his older fans was not the road for Joe to go down. 'Ambitions' was as far flung from his X Factor persona as it gets :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Hawk wrote: »
    A bit of common sense should have told SyCo that disconnecting Joe from his older fans was not the road for Joe to go down. Ambitions was as far flung from his X Factor persona as it gets :(

Joe just did not appeal to those who tuned in for entertainment

Joe was shafted badly unfortunately, I feel really sorry for him but he's proof that votes on x factor mean nothing if the music isn't good enough.
  • Options
    Dave HawkDave Hawk Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    spunk_1 wrote: »
    Joe was shafted badly unfortunately, I feel really sorry for him but he's proof that votes on x factor mean nothing if the music isn't good enough.

More to the point. How the hell was Ambitions supposed to "cut it" given gems like No Regrets, Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word, Open Arms and Dance With My Father :confused:

Wide Awake is actually a pretty good "pop" album but I don't think this more uptempo pop direction was what those who may have been predisposed to buying his music either wanted or expected yet SC said it would "pleasantly surprise fans". It surprised all right but the reaction to it, commercially, was not pleasant, while outside his native North East, airplay has been anaemic

It's vital for any fledgling that whatever they do, musically, is perceived as "best fitting" them. That said had Joe released an album full of ballads, the reaction to it would have been along the lines of it being 'predictable' and 'boring' but it may have connected :)

The most extensive review of Wide Awake came from unrealityshouts and the reviewer concluded it was the best debut album from an X Factor winner to date yet, in the same breath, just knew it wouldn't sell as well as it should. He gave it 8.2/10

The most unforgivable thing, IMO, (and I've plenty of axes to grind) was Joe not performing the Golden Globe nominated "There's a Place for Us" on the final of the X Factor because that may have went some way towards re-connecting Joe with his audience
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't vote any more. I don't think I voted since Rhydian's year. I will buy Matt's album and I would buy Aiden's :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    I don't vote any more. I don't think I voted since Rhydian's year. I will buy Matt's album and I would buy Aiden's :)

Yes love but aren't you also sponsoring Whacko's? :p
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't vote on X Factor, I don't trust the whole voting system and think the show's a waste of money. I would however buy Aiden's album. You can't even begin to compare X Factor votes to album sales..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    Yes love but aren't you also sponsoring Whacko's? :p
    :D

LOL I don't know if I would get the chance :p
  • Options
    pixiepiepixiepie Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Aiden but I do think fans need to be careful if they're spamming media outlets and companies.

Stuff like this has been the kiss of death for some American Idol contestents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pixiepie wrote: »
    I really like Aiden but I do think fans need to be careful if they're spamming media outlets and companies.

Stuff like this has been the kiss of death for some American Idol contestents.

That is probably sound advice.
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave Hawk wrote: »
    A bit of common sense should have told SyCo that disconnecting Joe, musically, from his older fans was not the road for Joe to go down. 'Ambitions' was as far flung from his X Factor persona as it gets :(

I have seen comments like this a lot and I have to ask what sort of album do you think he should have made would it be an album full of boring ballads and to be honest I doubt that would have sold much more.

The problem IMO for Joe is that he had no real musical identity or style on the show - it makes it very hard to market them afterwards.
  • Options
    wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    I have seen comments like this a lot and I have to ask what sort of album do you think he should have made would it be an album full of boring ballads and to be honest I doubt that would have sold much more.

The problem IMO for Joe is that he had no real musical identity or style on the show - it makes it very hard to market them afterwards.

I think this is undoubtedly true and probably the reason that SC was so determined to get acts who more obviously fit into boxes this year - and then did not criticise them for not dancing etc etc if it wasn't "them" as a result I think we have a much clearer idea of who the finalists are likely to be musically after the show.

Having said that, Joe's strength is his voice and his ability to sing difficult vocals pitch perfectly. Take That, for instance, manage to produce commercially successful albums that rely on singing and harmony rather than production tricks. if Joe had done something more along those lines he would have done better, I'm sure. I for one will never be a huge fan but I'd have bought his album if it was full of good songs, well sung and I'm sure many others would to but one listen to ambitions and I lost interest. I prefer the second single but not enough to make me buy the album
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I thought i would be fair and do some market research before posting. This after all is what record companies would do
    I went through the tweets for a half hour period to see how many people it takes to make a topic trending.
    Bearing in mind most repeat tweet to make a topic more popular than it really is
    There is 58 separate people who have posted tweets on this topic: signouraidennow

That is not a fanbase that a record company is going to take serious enough to hand out a record contract,

I was bored so i though i would take a look:)