Jack Reacher Trimmed For UK 12A Certificate

124»

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's got one of the best threats i've heard in any film .. "I'm going to beat you to death and drink your blood out of a boot" :D
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's already surpassed its budget and only fell by 10% in the US, taking into account licensing fees, marketing ect. If it makes $200 million+ at the box office I can see Paramount wanting to do another one.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    Another movie trimmed to accommodate the tweens:

According to the extended classification information, the material removed was:

a woman being suffocated by a man and a man being hit over the head with a rock.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/13/jack-reacher-trimmed-for-uk-12a-certificate/

I know it’s only two seconds but it still annoys me a little bit tbh
    Didn't spoil the Film for me, which wasn't bad, Action very good {funny too}, Car Chase highlight, Plot plausible....and Tom wasn't that bad, one of his better films.

7/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I can't see that being accurate. The character of Batman has always generally had a "no killing" rule, and Nolan will almost certainly have known this before taking on the film.

As for Jack Reacher, i saw it on Boxing Day and really enjoyed it, it was a great story and i'd like to see more films, although with it underperforming in the US i think it'll probably be one and done unfortunately.

From the interview at the front of "The Dark Knight Trilogy: The Collected Screenplays with Selected Storyboards" (Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan and David S. Goyer) as published by Faber
    CN [Christopher Nolan]:Yeah, but I didn't know Batman didn't kill people when I signed on for the project. It was David [S. Goyer] who broke that news. And I was like, "How do you make that work?". I said to the MPAA on The Dark Knight "Do you have any idea how hard it is to make a contemporary action film where the protagonist doesn't carry a gun? Doesn't kill people?"...
    He goes on to discuss the importance of Batman not killing people, and how it contributes to the Batman mythology. But later discusses how they came very close to breaking it at the end of Batman Begins...
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt there'll be a franchise from this. The worst mis-casting of a role ever, Lee Child should have demanded an actor who actually looked the part. He's as much to blame as Cruise for taking the role.

The director said that no actor fitted the bill physically, oh really? Instead of a rehash of the character using a dwarf in a big blockbuster, I'd have preferred a lower budget, true-to-the-book adaptation with Ray Stevenson.

Well I have just seen it and loved it. Not a book reader and never heard of it before. But Tom was excellent and some really funny lines. Hope they do more.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    But they didn't ask for the cuts, the distributors did. They were willing to pass the film uncut, so don't blame the BBFC.

Though at a rating which excluded much of the intended audience. PG-13 excludes no-one, 15 makes no concessions to anyone younger than 15.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it friday and thought it was great. Not read the books and even if i had it wouldn`t have made a difference to me. Even my uncle who has all the books loved it. He said it was a lot better than he thought it would be.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed Jack Reacher.

It started to get mildly confusing at one point, but it all came together nicely in the end to make a very good film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Though at a rating which excluded much of the intended audience. PG-13 excludes no-one, 15 makes no concessions to anyone younger than 15.

You seem to imply that the BBC should just alter it's guidelines to please Hollywood, which would completely defeat the point in having guidelines...
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All movie studios will weigh up cuts to a film to getting a lower rating especially when only two minor cuts necessary to get the lower rating to allow a larger target audience. BBFC have to have clear guidelines otherwise it would be pointless having them. You can't just change these rules for a film just for the sake of it. The movie studios have the choice of either taking the higher rating or making the cuts to get the lower rating.
    As for people moaning about censorship of course we censorship otherwise the market would be open to children accessing inappropriate material which was not intended for younger viewers. As an adult or parent you have guidance of what is suitable. What amazes me working with young children is the amount of idiot parents who can't control their children or they complain how violent their children are yet they have spent their younger years watching violent aggressive films. Whilst I don't believe or blame films for causing violence but when parents don't do the parenting and allow children to watch inappropriate material who does the child then learn from.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Saw this on Sunday and really enjoyed it. I was surprised to see a few kids in the audience. It certainly felt like a film tht was aimed at an adult audience.

I didn't notice any obvious cuts, but I thought they should have cut out most of Robert Duvall's completely unnecessary later scenes.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Its like A Touch of Frost. Its Frost in name only as the Wingfield character is very, very different.

Child's Reacher, apart from the height issues, is indifferent to driving and will only drive if it becomes a necessity. Tom's Reacher seems to be a dab hand at the old muscle car stuff.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was trying to be too many different types of film, and failed at all of them.
  • Cpl_CarrottCpl_Carrott Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Who could have played the part then?

After very cursory search on imdb

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0243806/

But having said that anybody should have been better than Cruise, maybe they got there numbers mixed up and wrote 5'6" instead of 6'5":D
  • man in the parkman in the park Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this at the weekend. A great film and cruise is good in it Funny as well. Great action scenes and an excellent car chase which was brilliantly shot.

Hope there is more to come.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this at the weekend. A great film and cruise is good in it Funny as well. Great action scenes and an excellent car chase which was brilliantly shot.

Hope there is more to come.

No offense, but that's not a Jack Reacher film. He is by his own admission a terrible driver. Never mind all the other things that are wrong.
    This is just a Tom Cruise action film that happens to be using Jack Reacher as a Vehicle.
    The Reacher franchise could have been epic and created a legendary character similar to Bond. I'm afraid that will never happen now.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    No offense, but that's not a Jack Reacher film. He is by his own admission a terrible driver. Never mind all the other things that are wrong.
    This is just a Tom Cruise action film that happens to be using Jack Reacher as a Vehicle.
    The Reacher franchise could have been epic and created a legendary character similar to Bond. I'm afraid that will never happen now.

Sad but true.

What a waste. Let's hope the next one (if there is one) will be for the benefit of the character and not the lead actor.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member

Totally agree. I have just started reading one of my xmas books ... A wanted Man by Lee Child. I look forward to every new Reacher book, but all I can picture is bloody Tom Cruise ! On the second page of this book .... and I quote ... " Reacher was a big man, six feet five inches tall, and heavily built ".

Shame on you Mr Child for selling out. I went to see him at a book signing a couple of years ago. He is a lovely guy, and wouldn't name who he would like to see play Reacher, all he said was " it has to be someone tall and rugged "

I guess the $$$$$ got in the way of that.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this whilst in the states over Christmas. I thought it was a pretty good action film; the plot fizzled out towards the end but apart from that it was decent.

I often wonder with the 12a/15 thing whether the difference in box office is really down to having more teenagers watching or whether it's down to 'sensitive' adults not wanting to watch anything rated above 12.

p.s. The cinema I went to in the US was by far the worst i've ever been to for 'bad etiquette'. Some guy actually answered a phone call in the middle of the film.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this whilst in the states over Christmas. I thought it was a pretty good action film; the plot fizzled out towards the end but apart from that it was decent.

I often wonder with the 12a/15 thing whether the difference in box office is really down to having more teenagers watching or whether it's down to 'sensitive' adults not wanting to watch anything rated above 12.

p.s. The cinema I went to in the US was by far the worst i've ever been to for 'bad etiquette'. Some guy actually answered a phone call in the middle of the film.

That definitely fails the Kermode code!
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a surprise :rolleyes:.....but a good one...I for one am glad.... :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a451099/tom-cruises-jack-reacher-unlikely-to-get-sequel.html
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a huge fab of Jack Reacher books and always thought it would make a great series of films.

I couldn't believe it when Tom Cruise got the gig. Apart from not personally enjoying his work, he was so far removed from Jack Reacher I I have no inclanation to watch the film. Though it's because I cant stand Cruise thta killed it for me.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    wildhollie wrote: »
    What a surprise :rolleyes:.....but a good one...I for one am glad.... :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a451099/tom-cruises-jack-reacher-unlikely-to-get-sequel.html
    I'm not. It was a good film and I'd have happily watched a follow up.