Options

Abercrombie and Fitch CEO says their clothes are not for "Fat" or "unpopular" people

Comments

• Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    I think having a go at Jack Wills is a bit harsh tbh :o:(

Why? Isn't it the same kind of overpriced stuff that students with rich parents wear? And clearly vanity-focussed for the fact that a lot of it has "Jack Wills" plastered across the front of it? I can't imagine wearing anything that displays the brand (actually, that's not true - a lot of technical clothing tends to be emblazoned with logos).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell fire!

Ugly uncool people can't wear A&F, then I hope Mike doesn't!

Looks like Boris Johnson who's been too near the fire.

I thought more a cross between Boris and Donald Trump.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Why? Isn't it the same kind of overpriced stuff that students with rich parents wear? And clearly vanity-focussed for the fact that a lot of it has "Jack Wills" plastered across the front of it? I can't imagine wearing anything that displays the brand (actually, that's not true - a lot of technical clothing tends to be emblazoned with logos).

Or possibly parents who choose not to buy into the Primark , lets make your teenager look like a ****. Or indeed Nulook. They sell sex to teens like hot potatoes, but it's cheap so ok.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the reactions on here are positively histrionic. :D I couldn't care less about fashion nor what this CEO said, and I detest clothes shopping as a rule. I just happen like some of their stuff. That does not make me an idiot, a bell end, **** nor vain... judging people by their jeans, however...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Or possibly parents who choose not to buy into the Primark , lets make your teenager look like a ****. Or indeed Nulook. They sell sex to teens like hot potatoes, but it's cheap so ok.

Whereas A&F and Jack Wills don't? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Some of the reactions on here are positively histrionic. :D I couldn't care less about fashion nor what this CEO said, and I detest clothes shopping as a rule. I just happen like some of their stuff. That does not make me an idiot, a bell end, **** nor vain... judging people by their jeans, however...

I detest clothes shopping too.....which is why I just tend to pick up stuff as and when I need it when in M&S, Tesco, Sainsburys (all UK supermarkets) etc. That way, I don't have to go out of my way to dedicated clothes shops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh. So what?!

What next, people complaining that High & Mighty don't cater for small people?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I detest clothes shopping too.....which is why I just tend to pick up stuff as and when I need it when in M&S, Tesco, Sainsburys (all UK supermarkets) etc. That way, I don't have to go out of my way to dedicated clothes shops.

I know what all of those places are. I live in the UK.

Is this the exhaustive list of socially acceptable places for clothes shopping in the UK? I'd hate to walk around with people thinking I'm a tw*t because I bought my jeans from the wrong retailer.

Oh wait, no. I don't actually give a shit. Carry on. :)
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whereas A&F and Jack Wills don't? :confused:

No, they don't. Possibly too American teen crap, but not blatant sex. :cool:
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am definitely doing it, making flyers with my dad and granddad on them wearing A&F clothes and sending them out.

Then we will send the stuff back and get the money back ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know what all of those places are. I live in the UK.

Oops. My apologies. I thought you were in the states....I mean US....I mean USA! :D
    Is this the exhaustive list of socially acceptable places for clothes shopping in the UK? I'd hate to walk around with people thinking I'm a tw*t because I bought my jeans from the wrong retailer.

Oh wait, no. I don't actually give a shit. Carry on. :)

No. I don't advocate any particular retailer. I'm just saying I get clothes at those places because I personally don't like clothes shopping, so it's just a convenient place for me to pick up clothes. I wouldn't shop somewhere where the staff, owners or other patrons judge people on what they wear.
    And I'm aware I'm hypocritical here because I generalise about people who buy Jack Wills. :o
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Mike chap is the ugliest son of a motherless goat I have seen since I don't know when. He looks like Joan Rivers's brother
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops. My apologies. I thought you were in the states....I mean US....I mean USA! :D

No. I don't advocate any particular retailer. I'm just saying I get clothes at those places because I personally don't like clothes shopping, so it's just a convenient place for me to pick up clothes. I wouldn't shop somewhere where the staff, owners or other patrons judge people on what they wear.

So you were being ironic when you said, "There is something very twattish about A&F isn't there? Jack Wills, as well. Clothes for vain people who just care about how others perceive them." ? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you were being ironic when you said, "There is something very twattish about A&F isn't there? Jack Wills, as well. Clothes for vain people who just care about how others perceive them." ? :p

Lol. I just added a line to my post to acknowledge my hypocrisy! :D To be fair, I don't think people in Sainsburys would judge me for wearing George at ASDA!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol. I just added a line to my post to acknowledge my hypocrisy! :D To be fair, I don't think people in Sainsburys would judge me for wearing George at ASDA!

:D:D
  • Options
    DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    What a pr*ck.

If he truly believes this then why don't they mention it on their website? Not for fat,ugly or 'uncool' people.

I do see they have a section called Diversity and Inclusion, obviously not inclusive of everyone then.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D
    I for one think you are a very lovely, and most probably the sweetest tw*t I have ever met virtually epicurian. :yawn:

By the way, my tongue is firmly in my cheek kissing my teeth.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    I for one think you are a very lovely, and most probably the sweetest tw*t I have ever met virtually epicurian. :yawn:

By the way, my tongue is firmly in my cheek kissing my teeth.:p

Charmed, I'm sure.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..According to a friend who went for an Abercrombie & Fitch interview a few years back, they apparently take your picture for "company records" actually it's because the management wants to separate the hotties from the fatties and uglies and they stick the uglies with a good work history in the stockroom.

And this was in London BTW
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    How is this news exactly. A&F has ALWAYS been like this.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What *is* American Eagle? I keep getting emails from them, but I've never used them or signed up to emails from them. :confused:

Just another brand, they make clothes and have mall stores. http://www.ae.com/web/index.jsp It's pretty good stuff, it's my boyfriend's favorite. There's also another big brand called Aeropostale http://www.aeropostale.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3534619 usually where one of these guys is the rest are quick to follow, so in most malls you'll have Aero, AE, and Abercrombie all represented.
    ..According to a friend who went for an Abercrombie & Fitch interview a few years back, they apparently take your picture for "company records" actually it's because the management wants to separate the hotties from the fatties and uglies and they stick the uglies with a good work history in the stockroom.

And this was in London BTW

I never had my photo taken, I didn't see anyone getting their photo taken during the group interviews, but then I didn't really pay attention. I also got the job with connections because my friend was good with the hiring manager and put in a good word for me.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caring about what you wear just to be accepted by a elite group of people is the complete antithesis of cool.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    To be honest, isn't this just the same as fashion houses of all "levels" from designer to cheap using slim models who are considered good looking? Its the same in advertising anything - pretty much every advert featuring a person will feature someone who is considered to be attractive, or to "represent" the brand.

Nobody wants to be associated with unattractive people. "We" as a society consider overweight people to be unattractive. That is just the way it is.

Personally I don't wear A&F clothes as they aren't really my style, and I am probably slightly over their target demographic being a skinny-ish, not very American looking man in his mid 30s. However, I don't begrudge them aiming their products at whatever they consider their target market to be.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A&F has always been sh*t. Do they still use child labour and sweatshops in bangladesh?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to be super fit lookin to even get past the interview to work the shop.

Rad idea really unless you have issues. ;)

Think of a few heavy posters on here who wouldn't get the gig ;) Tooooo many Doh-NUts. :D:D