Could a no result end up giving Scots what most of them really want - devolution max?

Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
Forum Member
✭✭
Could a no result end up giving Scots what most of them really want - devolution max?

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Sorry but why should the Scots get special treatment and devolution which the English and it's regions don't get nor does Wales or NI.

If you want independence fine - but if you don't why expect special treatment?
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with that above and I don't normally agree with him.

They either have the balls to say they will go it alone or they stay in and realise that was their chance and if they don't take it, it's back to normality.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with that above and I don't normally agree with him.

That's nice of you. Sorry if I don't fit the Labour perfect Tories evil and vice versa of most posters on this forum. Who you comment from is irrelevant - best to stick to the issues!
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    That's nice of you. Sorry if I don't fit the Labour perfect Tories evil and vice versa of most posters on this forum. Who you comment from is irrelevant - best to stick to the issues!

Jesus...I have never voted Labour in my life!!!
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they will be given greater powers but not Max. The SNP want the ability to raise their own rate of tax and spend it how they see fit. The problem is this would cause chaos for the TAX system in the Uk.

To have separate rules and different systems on either side of the boarder but with in the same country and currency would make for a costly and complex system to support. It would not do either country any favors.

So yes they will be given greater powers but no not Max.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a big maybe. A narrow victory for no could result in devo-max, but a comfortable no will keep the status quo.

The best result for the whole UK is a narrow no as it will force the issue of the constitution (including England's place in it) and pretty much all devolution in recent years has been driven by Scotland, if Scotland leave then the chances of constitutional reform anywhere else in the UK is zero.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe we will have an English parliament on Mondays and Tuesdays. A English, Welsh and north Irish parliament on Wednesdays and a UK parliament on Thursdays.

It would probably be more efficient to do the different parliaments on different weeks though. The legislation could be easily sorted to coincide with specific parliaments sitting.

It would just require an act of parliament to create three separate legal entities. They could still all use Westminster. Dividing up the Lords could be tricky, although they are usually a Lord of some place which would be in one of the four countries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It's a big maybe. A narrow victory for no could result in devo-max, but a comfortable no will keep the status quo.

The best result for the whole UK is a narrow no as it will force the issue of the constitution (including England's place in it) and pretty much all devolution in recent years has been driven by Scotland, if Scotland leave then the chances of constitutional reform anywhere else in the UK is zero.

But the status quo still has Labour and Lib Dem Scottish MP's voting on English legislation that has been devolved. The SNP voluntarily do not vote on English only legislation.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Sorry but why should the Scots get special treatment and devolution which the English and it's regions don't get nor does Wales or NI.

They don't expect it - the UK parties are offering it as an incentive to stay. Hopefully in time all the regions will be properly devolved.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Bluescope wrote: »
    I think they will be given greater powers but not Max. The SNP want the ability to raise their own rate of tax and spend it how they see fit.
    They already have that ability - they have just chosen not to use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem no has had is that no-one actually believes that a no vote will result in devo-max. The parties can promise it, but all three of them have different ideas of what it means and none of them are trustworthy.

It's a little late in the game, but they could change the wording of the referendum slightly, for example "yes, I think Scotland should be an independent country" and "no, I want devo-max instead". That way there is an explicit link between a no vote and devo-max that they can't go back on afterwards.
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Net Nut wrote: »

That would be nice but I don't trust them to deliver it.
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member

Because we chose to. It's not special treatment, it would be Scotland setting the terms it needs in order to be in union. It would be good if every part of the UK could have this kind of discussion and we could actually end up with a viable Union again.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem no has had is that no-one actually believes that a no vote will result in devo-max. The parties can promise it, but all three of them have different ideas of what it means and none of them are trustworthy.

It's a little late in the game, but they could change the wording of the referendum slightly, for example "yes, I think Scotland should be an independent country" and "no, I want devo-max instead". That way there is an explicit link between a no vote and devo-max that they can't go back on afterwards.

Cameron explicitly rejected devo-max as an option and insisted on a straight Yes for independence, No for status quo.

Given that postal voting has already started, it's a corruption of the referendum to try to move the goalposts at the last minute.

You are right that they cannot be trusted - this is the age-old tactic of panicking rulers promising concessions to rebels if they lay down their arms, and then nothing changes once the threat is over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's why they are negotiating a common proposal that all three parties will pledge to implement. Its going to take a few days because each party has different things they are offering the Scottish people in return for voting No.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Scotland does get Devo Max, expect the rest of the UK to demand the same.

So the question will be - does the UK become Balkanised or Federalised?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Seems like the government is going to offer more power over scotland and they will annonce what over the next few days, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29099431 Speaking on the BBC's Andrew Marr show, the Conservative's Mr Osborne said: "You will see in the next few days a plan of action to give more powers to Scotland; more tax powers, more spending powers, more powers over the welfare state.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    If Scotland does get Devo Max, expect the rest of the UK to demand the same.

So the question will be - does the UK become Balkanised or Federalised?

Perhaps federalism will be offered in the next couple of days.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So true..They are threatening to leave the UK and getting everything on a plate, whereas English regions dont get even an afterthought. Sick of this ..but in the end its not Scotlands fault but Londons and maybe regions in England should start playing this game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Prescott offer the English regions their own government and no one voted for it as the English thought it was just another extra layer of politicians?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Prescott offer the English regions their own government and no one voted for it as the English thought it was just another extra layer of politicians?
    It wasn't devolution - it was centring council powers in fewer authorities.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was more like a lame talking shop for the north east. Not anything even like the weaker Welsh devolution..Just more jobs for Labour politicians, without any real devolution of power away from Westminster to the region of England that probably needs it the most.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    So true..They are threatening to leave the UK and getting everything on a plate, whereas English regions dont get even an afterthought. Sick of this ..but in the end its not Scotlands fault but Londons and maybe regions in England should start playing this game.
    Cardiff and Belfast will look for any deals agreed to too - power is shifting one way or another from London - it just depends what form it takes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about city Mayors, not every city decided to have one?

I suppose we could go back to Kingdoms?

England will have both Labour and Conservative governments. Scotland was too remote and really needed a capital that was closer to its regions.

The worse scenario for the north would be indefinite Labour rule. They would just take them for granted. In Liverpool Labour takes it for granted that they will get elected and the Conservatives know they have no chance of winning, so the city is neglected by both sides.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Cardiff and Belfast will look for any deals agreed to too - power is shifting one way or another from London - it just depends what form it takes.

In which case maybe we should turn the commons in to the English parliament and the Lords in to the federal parliament. Kill two birds with one stone.