Should be remain friends with their ex's?

Will_LozWill_Loz Posts: 267
Forum Member
I think they should never have contact. (Unless of course they have kids)

My ex was controlling an manipulative. It hit her hard that I ignored her. I have to say after the way she behaved in the past she deserved it.

Anyone here ignore their ex completely?

Comments

• Busy_LizzieBusy_Lizzie Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    No I don't believe you should. It stops you from moving on.
    Although it hurts, if it's over, it's over.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends really, I was friends with an ex for a long time, we both just grew apart so there was no bad feeling or anything there. My OH is still friends with an ex too, from a long time ago.

So I think it depends on the circumstances and people.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every situation is different. I have an ex I am still great friends with, as we were before we became a couple and one that I have no desire to ever see again as he put me through some serious crap.

You really can't judge all relationships as one
  • Will_LozWill_Loz Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    It depends really, I was friends with an ex for a long time, we both just grew apart so there was no bad feeling or anything there. My OH is still friends with an ex too, from a long time ago.

So I think it depends on the circumstances and people.

You are right it depends on the circumstances. My ex was a cheat so it was a bitter experience for me.

Bex_123 wrote: »
    Every situation is different. I have an ex I am still great friends with, as we were before we became a couple and one that I have no desire to ever see again as he put me through some serious crap.

You really can't judge all relationships as one

Again correct.

Did you completely ignore the ex you did not like or just gradually reduced contact?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Loz wrote: »

Did you completely ignore the ex you did not like or just gradually reduced contact?

I just never spoke to him again since I found the sense to leave.

I've run into him in pubs and such. We say hello and go our separate ways.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still on friendly terms with my ex-husband, which is good for our kids. I get on well with his girlfriend too.

It doesn't work like that for a lot of people though, not if the break-up was due to one party having an affair, for example. The resentment and hurt often lingers for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ex and I are on speaking terms now but it has taken us a while to get to this point. We went through periods of time where we weren't speaking, other periods where we were speaking but we would always end up hating each other.

Over the last year our relationship has improved and I put that down to the fact that we had an open and honest chat about the past and how we felt. Since our chat we are on much better terms and we get on much better. I wouldn't say we were the best of friends but at the same time we still care about each other and there are no more negitive feelings.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staying friends with your ex = you're pining and hoping to get back together, they're keeping you in their pocket in case they need you for something

Get some dignity and move on

Edit for the replies that followed - it's obviously different when kids are involved
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I split with my ex 7 years ago and we remained sort of friends. It's more a case of we started a relationship through hanging out in a big gang of people (we were teenagers at the time) and we're still all friends now, so if I stopped seeing him, I'd stop seeing all my friends as well.

Unfortunately he frequently annoys me and on one blinding occasion last year made me feel like rubbish through his tactless and frankly hypocritical comments. Considering he's now dating one of my friends, we're not especially on amazing terms (nor am I with the friend anymore as both of them have become exceptionally supercilious). If I could see all our mutual friends without him, I wouldn't be especially devastated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staying friends with your ex = you're pining and hoping to get back together, they're keeping you in their pocket in case they need you for something

That's a sweeping generalisation and isn't always the case at all.

Also, if children are involved then it certainly may not be the case. When myself and Mrs Fizix had our first child we made a deal, if anything ever goes wrong we have to maintain a good friendship as that's in our childrens best interests. Whether it would go like that is another matter but the principal is a good one.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not true in my case. I have no desire to get back with my ex-husband. I like him, he's a nice man, and a bloody marvellous father. I don't fancy him though, nor do I like him in a romantic or sexual way.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in contact with a couple of old friends at the moment (one of them an ex) its nice to have the reminder of who I was 1w 2 years ago, I might one day get back there.
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the ex and the circumstances. I am friendly with an ex of a few yrs ago but not with my recent ex because he cheated.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Er, no.

Sometimes relationships just run their course but the people involved still remain friends.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Er, no.

Sometimes relationships just run their course but the people involved still remain friends.

It's definately possible. The times I've seen it though it's been more like what I said
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol, no! Seriously, that has amused me to even think about.

I dumped the said ex and he has a lovely girlfriend now. We're still friends because we were friends for seven years before we started dating and our break up was pretty mutual and easy. I may have said it was over, but he was thinking exactly the same and I got there first. We didn't talk for a couple of months but we have friends in common so naturally fell back into the friendship.

Do people seriously think everyone's relationships are exactly the same? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    lol, no! Seriously, that has amused me to even think about.

I dumped the said ex and he has a lovely girlfriend now. We're still friends because we were friends for seven years before we started dating and our break up was pretty mutual and easy. I may have said it was over, but he was thinking exactly the same and I got there first. We didn't talk for a couple of months but we have friends in common so naturally fell back into the friendship.

Do people seriously think everyone's relationships are exactly the same? :D

Tbh I think it more stems from people having this idea that male/female friendships have to have a sexual or romantic element somewhere (which they don't but people do think like that), so if there has been one in the past it will have to persist.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Er, no.

Well yeah. I'm still friends with a few exes. My last relationship ended about six months ago, and we had no contact for a while, but now we seem to be at a point where we can just go for a beer or watch a band as friends- it's still a BIT weird, but it gets less weird every time. It would be such a shame to have given up the friendship just because the romantic side went tits-up. I think it's worth the effort where possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you want to be friends with your ex? She's your ex for a reason! I'm not friends with any of my exes.:D
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It entirely depends on the ex and the relationship. I'm not in touch with my ex-husband but that's because he's a ********. I am, however, still in touch and still friends with the vast majority of my other exes.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mum and Dad haven't even set eyes on each other since 1992. I still see both, and will mention how one is to the other, in a passing way. They show a passing interest in that, but no more. They've both moved on now, though they were a big part of each other's lives and have me as a reminder of that and each other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Well yeah. I'm still friends with a few exes. My last relationship ended about six months ago, and we had no contact for a while, but now we seem to be at a point where we can just go for a beer or watch a band as friends- it's still a BIT weird, but it gets less weird every time. It would be such a shame to have given up the friendship just because the romantic side went tits-up. I think it's worth the effort where possible.

I'm hoping to have this kind of relationship with my ex of four months. I certainly still want her in my life, but it's a bit raw still.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully I am still friends with all my exes. I would hate not to be friends.
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm friends with one of mine, but we can go months without speaking and then contact will be continuous for a couple of weeks then stop again.

I'm really pleased I have as she means a lot to me as a person, but in a relationship it's awful!
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've remained on friendly terms with all my exes who were thoroughly nice blokes in their own way - I just couldn't stand living with them in the end and I'm sure they feel the same :D