Options

Overtime- can the company remove it from you?

mills705mills705 Posts: 556
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,
I've searched online at work in a contract etc but found no rules or anything about this.
I work in an inbound call centre and our holidays are coming to the end in March so it's use them or loose them so I think they are swamped with holidays. Therefore they have asked people to pledge overtime.
A work colleague that is struggling as he has just split up with their long term partner and is needing a new place to rent pledged a lot of overtime. Which was accepted by the company and has appeared on that colleagues work schedule.
When people off sick or part time have returned they have complained as they weren't given an opportunity to pledge any as it was quite popular it seems to get some that month.
Our manager today told my colleague he must give up some of this overtime so that it can spread out amongst those that didn't get any.
He is the only one that has been asked to give some of his over time up.
I've told him to contact ACAS about it.
I' think it's the companies fault and one individual shouldn't be punished for a companies error.
Anyone got an idea if this is lawful? Or even right? Only thing I found was that overtime should be first come first served as a guideline from work.

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought overtime was treated as more of a 'luxury'. Usually it can be removed at no notice. It's not guaranteed work and doesn't usually form part of your regular contract.

The fact you haven't found it in your contract speaks volumes.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you have any sort of automatic entitlement to overtime. I never did, I wouldn't have assumed any company would be obliged to give me hours beyond those I was contracted to do.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also work in an inbound call centre and we don't have paid overtime. If we work extra hours then it's on a time owed basis. I worked an extra 2 1/4 hours on Friday and will be taking the time back at some point next week.

I think that if they've asked him to spread out his overtime amongst other staff that's perfectly fair - but I don't know about the legalities of their request.
  • Options
    mills705mills705 Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I thought overtime was treated as more of a 'luxury'. Usually it can be removed at no notice. It's not guaranteed work and doesn't usually form part of your regular contract.

The fact you haven't found it in your contract speaks volumes.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you have any sort of automatic entitlement to overtime. I never did, I wouldn't have assumed any company would be obliged to give me hours beyond those I was contracted to do.

There's nothing really specific about it other than it may be offered and either paid or offered for time in lieu.
    What I found was a guideline for how it should be offered and then keyed.

I know it's a luxury but it seems quite unjust for them to ask you to pledge hours accept then then say no you can't have them.
    They also make a big deal about people pledging it and then removing it at a later date. Ie once you sy you will do a shift you can't take it out.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    My oh works for a huge worldwide industry leading company. A quick 5min call to ACAS resolved an issue and made them change a working practice they thought no body would question. Give them a call they will point you in the right direction.

And to add I hate call centres and the shitty rules they make up.