Silk.

Comments

• StykerStyker Posts: 49,857
    Forum Member
    tgabber wrote: »
    Personally, I wish more writers were brave enough to end a series while it's still popular and leave people wanting more. Too many shows just go on milking it until even the family pet covers their eyes when they come on.

I'm fed up with that "reason" being given to end a programme. They did this with Life On Mars and then came back with Ashes To Ashes and imo made a right hash out of the way they ended that one. I think its all about the ego's of the key cast and crew and I'm furious that they are allowed to get what they want and the viewers lose out. This programme has loads of mileage left in it and its just not right they are ending the whole programme! >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    I missed about 2 mins at beginning and it felt like I'd missed a whole episode...

From last week when Martha was being left flowers and propositioned outside court by the northern chap, suddenly he's on remand for murder and she's sitting talking to him in prison as if nothing's happened?

All the while as Billy is casually chatting to Mickey Joyce inside his prison cell - I wasn't aware they'd kept in touch?

I remained confused for the 58 minutes that I did see...
  • shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I'm fed up with that "reason" being given to end a programme. They did this with Life On Mars and then came back with Ashes To Ashes and imo made a right hash out of the way they ended that one. I think its all about the ego's of the key cast and crew and I'm furious that they are allowed to get what they want and the viewers lose out. This programme has loads of mileage left in it and its just not right they are ending the whole programme! >:(

I love the show but I think it is right. everything is reaching a natural conclusion. Billy is dying, Clive is pretty much set to become head of chambers and has morphed into the top QC about, Martha is falling apart and it looks very like she may jack the whole thing in and Clive and Martha's relationship is reaching a solution... whichever way. Time to go I think.
    Forum Member
    shya100 wrote: »
    I love the show but I think it is right. everything is reaching a natural conclusion. Billy is dying, Clive is pretty much set to become head of chambers and has morphed into the top QC about, Martha is falling apart and it looks very like she may jack the whole thing in and Clive and Martha's relationship is reaching a solution... whichever way. Time to go I think.

Look at the programmes they have ended before their time, for whatever reason over the last 10 years or so. Judge John Deed, a brilliant programme and from what I read, it was ended because lawyers did not like it for not being accurate enough! They should have been told "Its TV Drama for goodness sake, not a documentery"!

Then Life On Mars, Luther, and now Silk. At this rate the BBC will struggle to come up with good replacements.
    Forum Member
    How on earth was that blonde haired woman (don't know her name) ever a lawyer for Amnesty International? She seems to stand against everything they would!
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    I am not surprised that they didn't like Deed. He was a pompous know it all and hypocrit who liked to be a law unto himself. However, Shaw is excellent as George Gentley.

He's Silly Billy. A man of his experience should easily be able to find the right words to apologise for what went on and put an end to the matter.

I am not impressed with Amy. She keeps messing up. However, they will now have to take her on. She has them over a barrel.

I'm of the complete opposite view. Thought Deed was a brilliant judge out to do the right thing and told interfering politicians where to go, - GOOD! Judges do have a lot of autonomous power in their own court room I think too.

On George Gently, I can't get into that and I find Shaw's put on accent in that very off putting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I thought this season only started to get going last night. The episode was more of an ensemble effort which meant I started to engage with all the characters and their stories. The Martha as the legal profession's answer to Mother Theresa etc story lines are always too one sided to be properly interesting.

Slightly confused about Clive's fight with Shaun last night and RPJ's absence from the 'next week' bit. Was it more than self defence and is Clive's blossoming prosecuting career now at a premature end as a result?

Very clever of Peter Moffatt to control the fate of the show and end it before it was cancelled. This series hasn't been as good as the first two and despite its stellar cast (Neil Stuke excepted) it's always promised more than it's delivered. There is still a great series possible without Maxine Peake and Neil Stuke.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange opinions (not yours, just that opinions differ) as Neil Stuke is a standout for me, as is Maxine Peake.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Without Billy and Martha there is no programme.

I've enjoyed Silk and am glad the writer is deciding to end it on their own terms.

Neil Stuke has been outstanding in the part and was one of the main reasons I kept tuning in.
  • ms2608ms2608 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think that Neil Stuke has been exceptional as Billy, and would like to see him get some official recognition for this role.

I've downloaded 'Love Will Tear Us Apart', and will immerse myself in some Martha type dancing when the series ends. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth was that blonde haired woman (don't know her name) ever a lawyer for Amnesty International? She seems to stand against everything they would!

She was a office manager there - or something. Oh she is everything they are, vile organisation, I made the mistake of working for them a few years ago.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also agree that there was plenty of mileage in the programme, but feel the reason why it is ending is due to the writers knowing that this series hasn't come across well on screen and it was probably too much money to make changes or too late to stop its airing. If it was intentional to end on this series for the reason that was given, I would have thought the viewers would have been informed from the very outset.
    I missed about 2 mins at beginning and it felt like I'd missed a whole episode...

From last week when Martha was being left flowers and propositioned outside court by the northern chap, suddenly he's on remand for murder and she's sitting talking to him in prison as if nothing's happened?

All the while as Billy is casually chatting to Mickey Joyce inside his prison cell - I wasn't aware they'd kept in touch?

I remained confused for the 58 minutes that I did see...
    Same here about missing the first 2 mins - I thought that were flashbacks to the previous relevant episodes. I've some questions too:

I am also clueless about Martha and her latest client - he's like a character the writers just threw in to try and make the story line be one where it causes Clive to erupt as he did at the end. Even that was a bit odd - why would you do that with a guy you describe as shifty in a room where it's just you and him that is locked from the outside??!
    What is it with Billy and Martha? I know he respects her but he seems to so adore the ground she walks on that it's a tad disturbing. The way he demanded Jake to say hello to her in passing!!
    And why was Caroline really angry at Clive for repeating what that policeman called Martha's client? Even if she felt that the client was guilty, she seemed more upset than a disgruntled barrister.
    And of all people to allow to go tell Amy that she got membership into the Chambers, why they chose Billy to do it - knowing both of them are involved in the sexual harassment issue??

One good point of last night's episode was how Martha initially used the cross examination to her favour, she started off well. I also agree that the last episode will have to cover so much.... I hope all the answers are there!
    Did she say she was a lawyer? I can't recall her saying so and took it that it could mean she did any other type of job i.e. admin, executive, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SybilH wrote: »
    ISlightly confused about Clive's fight with Shaun last night and RPJ's absence from the 'next week' bit. Was it more than self defence and is Clive's blossoming prosecuting career now at a premature end as a result? .

I would hazard a guess that they don't want to give the Clive/Martha ending away, or whether he even sticks around to hep her, or anything.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Is next week's episode the very last? It seems one hour will not be enough to tie up all the thread's in the show :(

It's ending too soon, should have had at least another series.
  • bilsheenebilsheene Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    shya100 wrote: »
    She was a office manager there - or something. Oh she is everything they are, vile organisation, I made the mistake of working for them a few years ago.

Tell us more.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I think most of us 'fans' felt early on this series they were setting it up to be the last for one reason or another (my bet is that Peake has eyes trained on far greater heights, quite rightly - though it is our loss - or something to do with the probable non-renewal of the BBC royal charter and the licence stuff coming out in the news, which seems rather inevitable after all the Jimmy Savile and others scandal).

The whole series has been about Billy and Martha (with Clive as the 'unpredictable' third element) so I really can't see it continuing with either of them gone, as it won't. Simple as that.

Stuke has been superb for me, and also heard him on local radio where he sounded like a decent guy - so I'd love to hear more from the couple of posters who have absolutely slated him on this thread (for no reason given) to justify that (??).

It's just a shame for me they seem to have ballsed this series up a bit. It had the air of a finale from the first episode but no development there until - suddenly - the last but one from the end. And now they have a mad rush to clear up everything.

Ouch.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    What is the attraction to this show? I want to get into it but can't at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But that's what ITV do wrong, drag it out till it dies a death, I wanted more of LoM I've wanted lots of BBC series not to end but with others it's painful to watch the slow death
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look at the programmes they have ended before their time, for whatever reason over the last 10 years or so. Judge John Deed, a brilliant programme and from what I read, it was ended because lawyers did not like it for not being accurate enough! They should have been told "Its TV Drama for goodness sake, not a documentery"!
    Not accurate and also very silly.
    I'm of the complete opposite view. Thought Deed was a brilliant judge out to do the right thing and told interfering politicians where to go, - GOOD! Judges do have a lot of autonomous power in their own court room I think too.
    It's the job of Barristers to examine and cross examine. Deed thought it was his job. He would form an opinion on the guilt or otherwise of the defendant and act accordingly. He was also a hypocrit.
    On George Gently, I can't get into that and I find Shaw's put on accent in that very off putting.
    Gently is realistic as a 60's Policeman. Too many people are obsessed by his accent.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SybilH wrote: »
    Very clever of Peter Moffatt to control the fate of the show and end it before it was cancelled.

That's the key. In 2000 Pete Moffatt wrote a show for C4 called North Square This drama starred Phil Davis as Machiavellian chief clerk Peter McLeish and Rupert Penry Jones as barrister Alex Hay, the golden boy of Peter McLeish. It also followed the rise of a young female barrister pursuing silk.

Despite strong reviews it was cancelled after one series. I'm not at all surprised to see Phil Davis return to Silk to get the wrap they were all denied on North Square
    Forum Member
    Not accurate and also very silly.

It's the job of Barristers to examine and cross examine. Deed thought it was his job. He would form an opinion on the guilt or otherwise of the defendant and act accordingly. He was also a hypocrit.
    Gently is realistic as a 60's Policeman. Too many people are obsessed by his accent.

In your view, not mine. If TV programmes and films only got made if they were accurate or very close to it then most of them would never have been made! Those moaning about whatever it was that wasn't accurate need to bare that in mind and I'm biting my tongue in not speaking against them in a harsher way too!

As for what a judge cross examaning, I'm sure I've read or heard that judges are allowed to ask questions and I've actually seen this in real life too and I think even jurors are allowed to ask questions if they wanted to.

On Gently, why has he got that accent for though? What is it supposed to be? He sounds completely different to his normal voice and I don't know why or what the point is of having that accent. I find it very off putting too.
    Forum Member
    kimbobill wrote: »
    But that's what ITV do wrong, drag it out till it dies a death, I wanted more of LoM I've wanted lots of BBC series not to end but with others it's painful to watch the slow death

Are you talking about recent ITV drama? I can't think of older ones that were done in that way and if anything, a lot of the older ones could have gone on for longer too.
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    I think most of us 'fans' felt early on this series they were setting it up to be the last for one reason or another (my bet is that Peake has eyes trained on far greater heights, quite rightly - though it is our loss - or something to do with the probable non-renewal of the BBC royal charter and the licence stuff coming out in the news, which seems rather inevitable after all the Jimmy Savile and others scandal).

The whole series has been about Billy and Martha (with Clive as the 'unpredictable' third element) so I really can't see it continuing with either of them gone, as it won't. Simple as that.

Stuke has been superb for me, and also heard him on local radio where he sounded like a decent guy - so I'd love to hear more from the couple of posters who have absolutely slated him on this thread (for no reason given) to justify that (??).

It's just a shame for me they seem to have ballsed this series up a bit. It had the air of a finale from the first episode but no development there until - suddenly - the last but one from the end. And now they have a mad rush to clear up everything.

Ouch.

I don't think they did "balls this series up". I think it has been really good and if Maxine peake and the writer want to move onto bigger heights, what is the guarantee they will? The Life On Mars Actors all had imo a similar desire and an ego thing, what are they all doing now?

If any actor wants to move on, well first of all they should only be hired if they can be retained on a contract but if they are able to move on, why not replace the actors with new ones? Either with new characters or do re-casts. Heartbeat replaced the main Policeman and it they were all pretty similar and good I thought.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In your view, not mine. If TV programmes and films only got made if they were accurate or very close to it then most of them would never have been made! Those moaning about whatever it was that wasn't accurate need to bare that in mind and I'm biting my tongue in not speaking against them in a harsher way too!
    Of course it's my view. I only post my views.
    As for what a judge cross examaning, I'm sure I've read or heard that judges are allowed to ask questions and I've actually seen this in real life too and I think even jurors are allowed to ask questions if they wanted to.
    Judges are allowed to ask questions but they never take over.
    On Gently, why has he got that accent for though? What is it supposed to be? He sounds completely different to his normal voice and I don't know why or what the point is of having that accent. I find it very off putting too.
    I have no idea why he doesn't use his own voice. The accent is the way that Gently speaks. I am more interested in what he says rather than how he says it.

I will be sorry to see the end of Silk. I have no idea why they thought it was good for Billy to have his illness.
    Forum Member
    Of course it's my view. I only post my views. Judges are allowed to ask questions but they never take over.
    I have no idea why he doesn't use his own voice. The accent is the way that Gently speaks. I am more interested in what he says rather than how he says it.

I will be sorry to see the end of Silk. I have no idea why they thought it was good for Billy to have his illness.

Deed never took over. He used the powers available to him as a High Court Judge or what I assume is available to them to try and ensure justice was always achieved and I wish all judges were like him.

Even in Silk in that terror case episode, the judge Martha was dealing with went into "Deed" mode when he appointed Clive to look into the evidence even though Clive had a conflict of interest.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As someone whose family has had the misfortune to have experienced prostate cancer, I'm really pleased that this is being dramatised in a mainstream series. It's a killer of an increasing number of men in this country - fathers, grandfathers, uncles, etc. - yet it's rarely featured. So I take my hat off to both Peter Moffat and Neil Stuke for their work in this respect. Not easy viewing, certainly - but necessary.