Hd On Bbc Is Currently Unavaliable On This Channel !

paulhgcpaulhgc Posts: 809
Forum Member
✭✭
How annoying is this ? For example when watching the breakfast on bbc and every 15 minutes we keep getting the red screen saying please change to your local channel grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comments

• Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Oh no!!!!!!
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    paulhgc wrote: »
    How annoying is this ? For example when watching the breakfast on bbc and every 15 minutes we keep getting the red screen saying please change to your local channel grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Not really that annoying in the grand scheme of things.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How annoying is this ?
    Not very.
    For example when watching the breakfast on bbc and every 15 minutes we keep getting the red screen saying please change to your local channel grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Well, apart from

a) ignoring it

or

b) switching to BBC one SD for the local news

there's nothing that you can do until the BBC roll out regional BBC one HD across England (which I gather they are doing, albeit slowly)
  • David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am not sure what you are on about if it’s the regional news then its every 30 minutes not every 15
    If you live in the London region or are happy with London news you could watch on the news channel HD as it shows the London news up to the 8am news.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't they put BBC 1 London HD in 101 in all regions, with a message telling viewers outside London to switch to 141 to get their local news. That should be enough for the short term.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    It IS very annoying more so in the Manchester area as North west tonight comes from the apparently FULLY HD equipped media City Salford
    Having said that as I mentioned a few weeks ago in another thread on here the Beeb are notoriously slow in upgrading
    For years after BBC 1 went into colour look north as it then still was transmitted in black and white with only filmed items in colour
    So despite Manchester being a main production centre no change forty plus years on is there ???
  • walaboobahwalaboobah Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get that, Wales Today is available in HD!
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    walaboobah wrote: »

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are in HD.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    walaboobah wrote: »

I know

I believe the Scotland magazine is as well
    I gave up trying to understand how the Beeb spend our money long since
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    I know

Well we know the massively London-centric BBC never has any intention of spending real money in the English regions despite, the fact we are forced to fund this organisation as much as anyone else. This is notwithstanding the token Manchester development.
    The BBC has has no right calling itself a national broadcaster which reflects the interests of the whole of the UK - it doesn't.
  • arista_tibb7arista_tibb7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member

Its been like this for years
    the BBC is working slow to fix it.

Meanwhile ITV GMBHD
    has Local News
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It IS very annoying more so in the Manchester area as North west tonight comes from the apparently FULLY HD equipped media City Salford
    It has little to do with whether the studios are HD-enabled, it's to do with the additional kit (and playout suites I think) that is required in order to feed separate regional HD signals to all of the transmitters. On satellite, additional capacity will also be needed in order to carry all of the HD variant.. Indeed, it is likely that in the short term, when a region is enabled for regionalised BBC one HD, the local news programmes will be upscaled as the studios will not be HD-equipped.
    Having said that as I mentioned a few weeks ago in another thread on here the Beeb are notoriously slow in upgrading
    As I recall, before the cuts implemented due to the LF freeze, the BBC were working towards getting BBC one HD regionalised. But this process was halted post-DQF.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know

That's because the National variants have recently been upgraded.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's every 30 minutes and it's been happening a long time. That's why I don't bother watching Breakfast in HD. Well, that and the fact I'm rushing about to get ready for work, so I'm only really listening to it.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Meanwhile ITV GMBHD
    has Local News

ITV only has local news in the right regions for certain areas. The whole of Wales receives Midlands
  • BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    ITV only has local news in the right regions for certain areas. The whole of Wales receives Midlands

You beat me to it, The Anglia area gets Meridian news on ITV HD, that's a region the other side of London between 90 and 140 miles away.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    He beat me to it too :p
    Meanwhile ITV GMBHD has Local News
    No it doesn't. My ITV channel shows Calendar from Leeds but my ITVHD channel shows news from... erm... either Granada or Tyne Tees; I forget which right now.

So no, not all ITV areas are HD yet either.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »

The whole of Scotland receives STV news and weather for the central belt in HD, including Freeview.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they put BBC 1 London HD in 101 in all regions, with a message telling viewers outside London to switch to 141 to get their local news. That should be enough for the short term.
    Because Local programming is far more important than an image made up of more pixels...

If HD snobs will only watch a HD channel, let them press the numbers to change the channel.
    For years after BBC 1 went into colour look north as it then still was transmitted in black and white with only filmed items in colour
    So despite Manchester being a main production centre no change forty plus years on is there ???
    Having HD versions of all of the local regions would cost a lot of money.
    Certainly more than the BBC (and therefore us) can afford.
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Well we know the massively London-centric BBC never has any intention of spending real money in the English regions despite, the fact we are forced to fund this organisation as much as anyone else. This is notwithstanding the token Manchester development.
    The BBC has has no right calling itself a national broadcaster which reflects the interests of the whole of the UK - it doesn't.
    You're a massive hypocrite. If the BBC did have HD channels for all regions you would be bitching about them wasting money. And you know you would!

There are 12 (I think) BBC One English Regions, which would mean 11 more satellite sports and EPG numbers on satellite alone. Which would cost a fortune.

But of course carry on your bitching without reason as you always do...
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Meanwhile ITV GMBHD
    has Local News

Well ITV can afford it since their regions cover a much larger area and they produce far less regional content.
    He beat me to it too :p

No it doesn't. My ITV channel shows Calendar from Leeds but my ITVHD channel shows news from... erm... either Granada or Tyne Tees; I forget which right now.

So no, not all ITV areas are HD yet either.
    Granada I believe. I do not think there is a HD version of ITV Tyne Tees & Border (the ITV SD region that I am covered by), although I have not watched ITV let alone the HD channel in a while.
    mfr wrote: »
    The whole of Scotland receives STV news and weather for the central belt in HD, including Freeview.
    That is because STV is not linked with ITV at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So why would BBC one London news and regional programming be of any interest to viewers in say, Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle, King's Lynn or Penzance? Ergo, what would be the point?
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    It's very annoying when you consider not all content on BBC1 HD is in HD. Just typical arrogant BBC mentality of like or lump it we don't care, now go pay your TV licence!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very annoying when you consider not all content on BBC1 HD is in HD. Just typical arrogant BBC mentality of like or lump it we don't care, now go pay your TV licence!
    If you review an earlier post of mine, and one from another poster in this very thread, you will see that there is much more to consider, not least the additional costs and the necessary engineering work (even though the BBC has a stated aim to roll out BBC one HD to the regions.

And I think that you'll find that all new commissioned content has been made in HD since about 2011, with only the regional studios yet to fully convert. Yes, converting studios and production suites to HD is an expensive undertaking, and not one that can be undertaken lightly.

So there is no "like it or lump it, we don't care" mentality, and perhaps if posters adopted a more mature attitude and were more fully understanding of the costs and processes involved, they would begin to appreciate that.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Because Local programming is far more important than an image made up of more pixels...

If HD snobs will only watch a HD channel, let them press the numbers to change the channel.

Having HD versions of all of the local regions would cost a lot of money.
    Certainly more than the BBC (and therefore us) can afford.

You're a massive hypocrite. If the BBC did have HD channels for all regions you would be bitching about them wasting money. And you know you would!

There are 12 (I think) BBC One English Regions, which would mean 11 more satellite sports and EPG numbers on satellite alone. Which would cost a fortune.

But of course carry on your bitching without reason as you always do...

The BBC is open to criticism the same as any other publicly funded body, if that annoys you sorry, but that's just tough.
    The BBC is massively London- centric and to a great extent is failing to supply an adequate service to a large section of the British public who pay for it.
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    If you review an earlier post of mine, and one from another poster in this very thread, you will see that there is much more to consider, not least the additional costs and the necessary engineering work (even though the BBC has a stated aim to roll out BBC one HD to the regions.

And I think that you'll find that all new commissioned content has been made in HD since about 2011, with only the regional studios yet to fully convert. Yes, converting studios and production suites to HD is an expensive undertaking, and not one that can be undertaken lightly.

So there is no "like it or lump it, we don't care" mentality, and perhaps if posters adopted a more mature attitude and were more fully understanding of the costs and processes involved, they would begin to appreciate that.

I don't need to have any appreciation for something I am forced by law to pay for. The only reason the BBC can't afford to do the upgrades is due to poor management and spreading it self to thinly.

How much did the voice cost £6million? An that's just for the UK rights, so including production talent wages it will be a lot more. How about scrap the voice, use that prime time slot and take advantage of the "unique way in which the BBC is funded" and put something worth while on. Or fund studio upgrades.