Options

Ofcom gets tough on occult TV

Comments

• Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats the ones ;)
    Just found this: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/enforcement/broadcast-bulletins/obb192/obb192.pdf

Pages 7-11 cover a recent ruling against BelieveTV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Songs of Praise is a tricky one, its just a few readings but it is also putting/acknowledging the beliefs of some licence payers above others. The BBC is meant to be un bias and for the benefit of all users, so why is there not a programme aimed at Isalm, Hiduism, Judaism etc?

Either all or nothing for me. I could live without it and I am pretty sure church goers visit church on a Sunday morning to worship, why would they bother with TV? It uis hardly proper worship.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Songs of Praise is a tricky one, its just a few readings but it is also putting/acknowledging the beliefs of some licence payers above others. The BBC is meant to be un bias and for the benefit of all users, so why is there not a programme aimed at Isalm, Hiduism, Judaism etc?

Either all or nothing for me. I could live without it and I am pretty sure church goers visit church on a Sunday morning to worship, why would they bother with TV? It uis hardly proper worship.

One small programme for Christian believers and plenty of offerings for Atheists and others, and we pay our license fee too so should be able to have that one programme surely :)
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    One small programme for Christian believers and plenty of offerings for Atheists and others, and we pay our license fee too so should be able to have that one programme surely :)

But why target one persons religious beliefs over another? We all pay our license fee and if you are Christian and want Christian programming then fine as long as all other religious programming is treated equally.

Me, I think it's all hogwash anyway so whether Christian or Satanism, or any other belief in ludicrous make believe, being given airtime especially using the license fee makes me chuckle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richclever wrote: »
    But why target one persons religious beliefs over another? We all pay our license fee and if you are Christian and want Christian programming then fine as long as all other religious programming is treated equally.

Me, I think it's all hogwash anyway so whether Christian or Satanism, or any other belief in ludicrous make believe, being given airtime especially using the license fee makes me chuckle.

Who isn't being catered for ? Many religions have their own channels even.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ofcom's targeting is of claims, not beliefs. As the recent ruling on Christian channel Believe TV demonstrates.

If Songs of Praise ever starts asking for donations using televangelists and faith healers, it will be moving into the same dodgy territory as the rip-off occult TV services.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never knew there were occult TVs. I just have a regular plasma, what a disappointment. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or Transvestite witches ;)
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who isn't being catered for ? Many religions have their own channels even.

How many are funded by the license fee?
    Ofcom's targeting is of claims, not beliefs. As the recent ruling on Christian channel Believe TV demonstrates.

If Songs of Praise ever starts asking for donations using televangelists and faith healers, it will be moving into the same dodgy territory as the rip-off occult TV services.

I hope it also extends to the awful evangelical Christian channels too. I do agree that any of the uber evangelical religious channels that ask for cash for their claims (as well as the tarot channels etc) should be regulated. My point was that the mainstream TV channels and especially the BBC as they are funded by the license fee should be far more inclusive if they are going to have any religious programming. Note, I am not saying that things like Songs of Praise should be taken off air. They have no relevance to me but certainly don't offend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope it also extends to the awful evangelical Christian channels too. I do agree that any of the uber evangelical religious channels that ask for cash for their claims (as well as the tarot channels etc) should be regulated. My point was that the mainstream TV channels and especially the BBC as they are funded by the license fee should be far more inclusive if they are going to have any religious programming. Note, I am not saying that things like Songs of Praise should be taken off air. They have no relevance to me but certainly don't offend.
    Well I don't have a problem with other religions having a similar amount of time allocated to them, if there is a call for it, no point giving some a programme as they don't believe in the use of TV and don't have them in their homes.
  • Options
    dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So do I. I wasnt quite sure within the wording if it does. Peter Popoff is broadcasting still on Sky with his healings in exchange for cash and "miracle salt and handkerchiefs."
    As is Emmanuel TV which along with others also purports to exorcise demons. Investigate and you will find that this also involves the exchange of money. I think the "God" channels all need to be subject to investigation. In fact, anything that involves money being exchanged is contradictory to the usual "belief" systems. It is not entertainment either but sheer fraud imo. It appeals to those who believe in anything and everything or, those who are desperate and vulnerable therefore are open to charlatans..
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delly wrote: »
    So do I. I wasnt quite sure within the wording if it does. Peter Popoff is broadcasting still on Sky with his healings in exchange for cash and "miracle salt and handkerchiefs."
    As is Emmanuel TV which along with others also purports to exorcise demons. Investigate and you will find that this also involves the exchange of money. I think the "God" channels all need to be subject to investigation. In fact, anything that involves money being exchanged is contradictory to the usual "belief" systems. It is not entertainment either but sheer fraud imo. It appeals to those who believe in anything and everything or, those who are desperate and vulnerable therefore are open to charlatans..

Is there no collection at your church?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »

I referring to the Op. eg exchange of money for healing, exorcism of demons etc. But, I think that you already know that.

Most churches take up a collection to maintain the building, to give to charities, to assist community events.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I assume asking for donations for a church roof or doing a feature on a religious charity is ok?
    Since this pan-handling actually has a material result.
    On the other hand, faith TV etc, constantly ask for donations so that the channel can stay on air, I wonder is this still allowed?

All these ofcom regs seem easily dodged, simply by saying the fee is for something other than a reading or place in heaven.

I haven't actually seen any claims on Songs of Praise other than people saying god made them feel a bit better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I assume asking for donations for a church roof or doing a feature on a religious charity is ok?
    Since this pan-handling actually has a material result.
    On the other hand, faith TV etc, constantly ask for donations so that the channel can stay on air, I wonder is this still allowed?All these ofcom regs seem easily dodged, simply by saying the fee is for something other than a reading or place in heaven.

I haven't actually seen any claims on Songs of Praise other than people saying god made them feel a bit better.

It is far more sinister than asking the congregation for a "donation" they specifically target individuals both personally and privately in respect of their scams and "healings,"

Edit. Not familiar with a channel called faith TV. Am specifically referring to channels like Peter Popoff or Emmanuel TV.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delly wrote: »
    I referring to the Op. eg exchange of money for healing, exorcism of demons etc. But, I think that you already know that.

Most churches take up a collection to maintain the building, to give to charities, to assist community events.

I thought you meant 'anything that involves money being exchanged is contradictory to the usual "belief" systems' which I found rather surprising given, as you say, money is exchanged in most churches.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    I never knew there were occult TVs. I just have a regular plasma, what a disappointment. :(

That's okay, you just need a set top box connected to a satellite witch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought you meant 'anything that involves money being exchanged is contradictory to the usual "belief" systems' which I found rather surprising given, as you say, money is exchanged in most churches.

When you give money in a collection, it is given freely. It is not "in exchange" for anything. It is because you are part of the church community. It is totally Biblical.

When money is given "in exchange" for healings or such things then it is a contradiction. Although, some churches believe in "healings" and "demon possessions" it is not contradictory to their "belief" system. However, when a charge is made, it is contradictory. eg A "gift of healing" is by the Holy Spirit, by God. God would not charge an individual to be healed. It is by the Grace of God. Therin lies the difference. This is where people are being exploited, tricked and conned. The TV Evangelists get rich but where are the healings? They dont exist.

Well I am no Evangelist and I have never witnessed a physical healing. But, I do know of scams first hand. And, there have been several very good TV documentaries showing these people up for what they are.
  • Options
    morbidangel101morbidangel101 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    I don't see how Satanism in any less valid than any other religion, this is discrimination surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how Satanism in any less valid than any other religion, this is discrimination surely.

I guess if they can make a programme that adheres to the guidelines they can broadcast it. So aren't really being singled out although it is one of the only belief systems I would like to see not on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess if they can make a programme that adheres to the guidelines they can broadcast it. So aren't really being singled out although it is one of the only belief systems I would like to see not on TV.

The statement mentions 'Satanism' specifically. It doesn't state just aspects of it, so it reads like a blanket ban.

I would imagine most people don't understand what Satanism is. People seem to think that it's worshiping the Devil, but it's actually very diverse and some are even Atheist.
    There are as many cultish aspects to Satanism, as there are to Christianity.

There is a lot of slander thrown about against Satanists, mainly by the Christian church, which is why I don't see this statement by Ofcom to be a great thing.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    While it seems good to me that the TV psychics are being told to stress they are just entertainment, I can't help but think this is unusually tough on Satanists, why are they being singled out exactly?

I haven't noticed Songs of Praise being described as 'just entertainment' either.

Too right. Why aren't religious programmes considered to be for entertainment purposes only. Surely Ofcom can't think they are factual can they? This is a serious point. It seems all superstitious beliefs are equal but some are more equal than others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I don't care about tv psychics, etc, whilst this charlatan goes about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ8qzbm1sV4&feature=related
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In a number of charismatic US churches there is laying on of hands, and also the falling back, so in a way it is similar to healings seen on TV. Money does go to house and feed the pastors who do this work, so I agree with you there is some overlap, oh and not to forget those who do exorcisms, a legitmate rite that could be seen as a form of healing or at least purging. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    In a number of charismatic US churches there is laying on of hands, and also the falling back, so in a way it is similar to healings seen on TV. Money does go to house and feed the pastors who do this work, so I agree with you there is some overlap, oh and not to forget those who do exorcisms, a legitmate rite that could be seen as a form of healing or at least purging. :)

Performing an exorcism is legal, but it's certainly not legal to harm people or tie them down.
    Exorcisms could be seen as 'legitimate' but they really shouldn't be... they are only legal as they are covered by some form of religious protection as they are a tradition.

They should be seen as exploitation and quackery, and potentially dangerous at that.

The practice of performing exorcisms should at the very least be better monitored than it is, people have died or been traumatised by them... some perform them on children, the mentally ill and increasingly homosexuals.
    Psychiatric evaluations prior to exorcism are important because, whether you believe in demonic possession or not, it is not up to any religious institution to offer hope of a cure in the face of a real disease when none exists.
    I don't think it should be legal to mislead the public and present it as fact, same applies to shows about medicines that don't work.