BGA - Bad Girls Anonymous (Part 6)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^It really, really irritated me when they did that.

The worst thing about it was that there were loads of established characters that could have done with the development time they gave to all these new people. Look at Phyl, just to name one- they started her on a "serious issues with men" thing in late Series 7, only to completely drop it in Series 8...so we could, er, watch Lou Stoke, a new character, fussing round her drug addict sister- also a new character. Why was I supposed to care?
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing about it was that there were loads of established characters that could have done with the development time they gave to all these new people. Look at Phyl, just to name one- they started her on a "serious issues with men" thing in late Series 7, only to completely drop it in Series 8...so we could, er, watch Lou Stoke, a new character, fussing round her drug addict sister- also a new character. Why was I supposed to care?

You are quite right. This was probably the worst thing about Series 8... The whole storyline re her sister and the sister not being able to have a child (I think??) - so ill-conceived and why would fans, or new viewers, care. I think most fans could have done a better job of storylining Series 8 than Shed did!!
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't posted here for a very long time! I was just reading back on some classic BGA earlier and I cringe at some of the posts I wrote a couple of years ago :o:o:o

I'm rewatching S4 at the moment and I'm loving it. The Maxi/Yvonne rivalry is great fun and dare I say it, Cassie and Roisin's story grows on me every time I watch them.

The tunnel story is dire though and I don't think that opinion will ever change :sleep:
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi guys

been catching up with it on CBS Drama.if ITV wanted a drama this one should come back
    the only thing still niggles me is how OTT they made Fenner..i think that was a big mistake the season yvonne left.(I think it would have been a better storyline having yvonne escape and not the story line they did give her) Im really looking forward to the next series because I missed the ENTIRE thing.!!!
  • Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think after series 5 the cilifhangers of series 6 and 7 are forgot. Did anyone see di in toast over christmas?
  • kushtiimayteekushtiimaytee Posts: 9,732
    Forum Member
    Can someone help me? I am really confused.

Di got pregnant by Tony/Neil. I'm pretty sure she lied and said she had an abortion and then she agreed to have the baby for them two to raise.
    However, this week (on CBS drama) she faked a miscarriage. Did she book and have a secret abortion off screen? because I still thought she was pregnant all along.
    I'm so lost.
  • Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi I'm new to this Bad Girls thread, but I've been watching BG since the start of Series 8 and have the boxset of Series 5-8, my fav characters are Kris and Selena and Yvonne and Shell and Denny, Bodybag and Fenner, I'm looking forward to chatting to some other fellow Bad Girls fans,

I've heard about these unaired Series 8 episodes, does anybody know if they are defintley going to be released and also why they werent originally aired or if CBS Drama will broadcast them.

Thanks very much
    Dan
    Forum Member
    haha forgot how funny Darlene was.
    'You think I'm going to use a jammy dodger to cut somebody up' - or something along them lines.
    Brilliant! :D

Am thoroughly enjoying seeing Fenner squirm with his thoughts of Yvonne scratching the walls and hitting the deck when the motorbike backfired.

Also forgot how ballsy Myers was. Slapping Phyl...wowsers!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha forgot how funny Darlene was.
    'You think I'm going to use a jammy dodger to cut somebody up' - or something along them lines.
    Brilliant! :D

Am thoroughly enjoying seeing Fenner squirm with his thoughts of Yvonne scratching the walls and hitting the deck when the motorbike backfired.

Also forgot how ballsy Myers was. Slapping Phyl...wowsers!!!

Yeah I loved Myers, shame she wasn't there long I loved it when she told them they were all fired when she first came :D

To me Darlene was one of the few great characters that actually came from later series' to, love her :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Hey all long time hey..... Just been watching bg on CBS drama and made me thinkb of this thread
  • noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think Series 8 was actually that bad, I enjoyed it - I felt its intent was to get back to Series 1 grittiness (i don't think it worked perfectly well - but a good effort IMO).

I just got the "Complete Series 1 - 8" in Australia to add to my collection. It's looks great on the outside, inside looks a bit rushed - and it doesn't include the Series 8 Xmas special >(. But all the discs have the same menus and content as the Aussie DVD releases of Bad Girls... Just in case everyone was wondering. Got it in a sale - was $149.99, got it for $80!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Been watching BG the last few weeks repeated on CBS Drama Sky, wish I had known it was being repeated before now!! I am enjoying it a lot and it is bringing back memories of how good it was and how much a fan I was. I would really like the whole Boxset of the complete series 1-8 but am not willing to pay hundreds for it. I didn't see series 1 at all so would really like to see how it all began.
    Forum Member
    Lauren__ wrote: »
    Yeah I loved Myers, shame she wasn't there long I loved it when she told them they were all fired when she first came :D

To me Darlene was one of the few great characters that actually came from later series' to, love her :D

Me too. And when she always put Bodybag in her place. And sent her on that race relations course. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been watching BG the last few weeks repeated on CBS Drama Sky, wish I had known it was being repeated before now!! I am enjoying it a lot and it is bringing back memories of how good it was and how much a fan I was. I would really like the whole Boxset of the complete series 1-8 but am not willing to pay hundreds for it. I didn't see series 1 at all so would really like to see how it all began.

series 1 is out monday on dvd 14.99.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got the series one dvd that came out today?
  • ForerroRocherForerroRocher Posts: 10,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just reached Series 5 on the boxsets and actually shed a little tear at Shell's exit. What a horrible ending for such a huge character! Having her baby taken from her was such a crappy thing to do and Jim and Colin are complete jerks. I can't believe they brought her back just to do that. Her face when she was been driven away.... :(:(

Speaking of which..... Where did Colin come from? I don't recall him being "introduced" in the show in the same way new PO's have been if they were going to become main characters.

I actually cannot stand Phyl or Bev. They're both really annoying, and I don't know why.

So far, I'm really not enjoying series 5 (I am only 4 episodes in though!), which is a shame because - after a shaky start - Series 4 really picked up it's game towards the end with the whole fire stuff (which was a fabulous episode, IMO.)

I miss Zandra, Crystal (and Josh!), Helen, Nikki....

Speaking of the other characters, are Cassie and Roison gone for good now? I don't recall their exit originally, it was just said they were being released for their heroism after the fire? No final scene? That's so crappy. I was never a huge fan of Roison, but Cassie... <3

And knowing what happens at the end of series 5 is enough to make me want to switch off completely now, but I'll stick with it, if only for Pat's arrival in the next series or whatever. But the show is so different now to what it was even last series, and I don't like it. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just reached Series 5 on the boxsets and actually shed a little tear at Shell's exit. What a horrible ending for such a huge character! Having her baby taken from her was such a crappy thing to do and Jim and Colin are complete jerks. I can't believe they brought her back just to do that. Her face when she was been driven away.... :(:(

Speaking of which..... Where did Colin come from? I don't recall him being "introduced" in the show in the same way new PO's have been if they were going to become main characters.

I actually cannot stand Phyl or Bev. They're both really annoying, and I don't know why.

So far, I'm really not enjoying series 5 (I am only 4 episodes in though!), which is a shame because - after a shaky start - Series 4 really picked up it's game towards the end with the whole fire stuff (which was a fabulous episode, IMO.)

I miss Zandra, Crystal (and Josh!), Helen, Nikki....

Speaking of the other characters, are Cassie and Roison gone for good now? I don't recall their exit originally, it was just said they were being released for their heroism after the fire? No final scene? That's so crappy. I was never a huge fan of Roison, but Cassie... <3

And knowing what happens at the end of series 5 is enough to make me want to switch off completely now, but I'll stick with it, if only for Pat's arrival in the next series or whatever. But the show is so different now to what it was even last series, and I don't like it. :(

I guess you've probably finished watching series 5 now Forerro, but would be interested to know what you felt about the rest of it.

Have you gone on to get any of the subsequent sets??
  • ForerroRocherForerroRocher Posts: 10,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess you've probably finished watching series 5 now Forerro, but would be interested to know what you felt about the rest of it.

Have you gone on to get any of the subsequent sets??

Oh I've seen it all. I watched it on TV when it aired. :D I was just doing a rewatch on the DVD's, which I don't do often. I'm up to Series 7 ( and nearing the end of that, now)

Series 5 had a few hit and miss moments. I always end up on a bit of a downer after that series, because Shell & Yvonne (My top 2 characters of the whole show.) both leave.

Series 7 is like a completely different show. I still <3 Pat as much as I did back then though. :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I've seen it all. I watched it on TV when it aired. :D I was just doing a rewatch on the DVD's, which I don't do often. I'm up to Series 7 ( and nearing the end of that, now)

Series 5 had a few hit and miss moments. I always end up on a bit of a downer after that series, because Shell & Yvonne (My top 2 characters of the whole show.) both leave.

Series 7 is like a completely different show. I still <3 Pat as much as I did back then though. :o:D

I totally agree with you about series 5, it truly is a very dark series and sees off far too many characters. It is majorly steeped in death and even brings back some characters we haven't seen for a long time, such as Bobby & Noreen, simply as further cannon fodder. If you look at the cast of series 6, it's like a ghost town compared to before. I think that is when they must have started to have major budget cuts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    After spending hours reading through all these BGA threads I decided to join up, as there seems to be no decent online communities for the show since BGOL's demise.

I'm Tom by the way, username BillyEllyot from the BGOL era (anyone who remember's me)

I started watching BG in 2001 at the tender age of 12! 3.12 "Tough Love" was the first ep I ever watched, so unfortunately I missed out on most of N&H so even watching S1-3 doesn't have the same impact as it would have if I hadn't because I knew the outcome. I was only young and didn't understand it - Helen for me was "that mean Scottish woman" and I didn't realise Nikki was a lesbian at first!

Because I grew up in the 'camp' era of BG rather than the 'good old days' I'm going to add my 2 cents on S4-8:

Series 4 - Mixed feelings on this one. Main problem is that it is quantity rather than quality and they struggled to concisely fill out 16 episodes. Epsiodes 5, 7 and 12 in particular feel like 'filler' episodes and really are a chore to watch.
    *Cassie/Roisin - I quite liked them in later episodes once they'd started hanging out with Yvonne and stopped going on about Roisin's kids. I can see the point to her character (the website's actually got a real PSR written for her!) because of the nature of her crime and the fact that she had young children (other mums like Yvonne and the Julies had grown-up kids mostly) but yeah, the whining grated initially! Her 4.14 breakdown I thought was well-acted and disturbing, though and she left the series a much better character than when she came in.
    *I liked Buki's story because it added layers to her and made more likeable than just the irritating crackhead she was before.
    Great to have Denny back thought I wasn't too sorry to see the back of Shaz. Maxi's death felt real and disturbing, not to mention a fantastic performance from Victoria Bush so that was worth it. Still packed enough grittiness and prison issues to work as a series, though. And 4.16 is a triumph despite the sensationalistic approach to a finale.

Series 5 - First time round wasn;t too keen (I remember screaming obscenites at Fenner constantly!) but rewatching on the DVDs it's one of my favourites. Minus points are - too much of the daft Di Barking/Neil/Tony fiasco, Shell's return was somewhat pointless (great to have Debra in the cast again though),the Snowball story went far too long and I never warmed to the Costas until around Series 7. Still some good prison issue-based storylines though:
    *Privatisation - I know it was a drag but at least it was Also represents how prisoners could get their voices heard.
    *Noreen - Simply for the sadness of it all: That an old lady would merely commit a crime in order to return and die in prison. And it enabled Victoria Bush to once again show us what a powerhouse of a dramatic actress she is.
    *Julie S's cancer - Imagine finding out you're terminally ill and knowing you may not get out alive and see your son again. COuldn't have happened to a nicer character too. Chad clearly did her research on this too and it was personal to her. Say what you want about the 'doom and gloom' but at least there was decent creative input from the creators at this stage.
    Of course the crowing glory was the gripping drama of episodes 11-16. Karen came into her own this series, and you really do root for her to see Jim out. (WHen it was on TV back then I wanted to see him die after having Shell's baby taken away particularly) Plus Claire looked fantastic this series - independance looked good on Karen.

Series 6 - Not my favourite series. It retained a gritty feel with use of downmarket locations and muted colours but the large cast cull, new writers and FW producer Cameron Roach taking over ruined it for me.
    Bad points for me were:
    *The Julies. I know cancer affected them both in a big way but why they hell did they briefly turn JUlie J into a vicious bully in the early episodes? Rewatching the series I think I overstated this point a lot (they still had their hearts of gold really underneath it all) and also they've been inside so long that it's going to start affecting them in different ways eventually. Being sent down for 8 years changed them a bit as well.
    *Tanya Turner. I loved the character and she could have worked in BG - gave them a great oppertunity to tackle the issue of a popular celebrity behind bars. Instead, we got some ridiculous poison plot and the godawful Rik Revoir character. A shallow ratings-winner if I ever saw one and is the reason that most people dismiss BG as "trash TV". Shed tried too hard to please the teenage audience ("lolz u no wot wud b well funni?? if kat slater woz put in bad gurlz - shed slap buxton arnd LOL" - groan) and it spelled the end of the series.
    *Kris and Selena - I saw nothing wrong with Charlotte and Jen's acting but they storyline was lazily written and a bit too much screentime was devoted to them.
    *Darlene Cake - No offence to Antonia, she's a reasonable actress but this character did nothing but swan about talking in a silly voice the whole time she was there. She was 'trying to be funny' and this showed big style.
    Good points:
    *Meera Syal as Janan Hamad - Fantastic piece of drama and proved they could still deliver when they were on form.
    *Eva Pope - Shame she only did one series. Fantastic new character. What Lou Stoke could have been.
    *Natalie Buxton - Great subversion of the "don't judge a book by its cover" trope. Wish they could have explored her motivations a bit more though. And we did need a good prison bully to fill Shell's platform flip-flops.
    *Fenner's comeuppance - he deserved it and was great to have Claire back for the last few episodes. Never liked the tribunal though, found it was too much outside the prison for me to be interested. And I hated how the Barking one behaved in this series. Her "cheery person who feels for the inmates" trait was barely seen this series. Loved Tracey's choppy blonde haircut for the first half of the series, though, looked great on her!

Series 7 - After S6 I was nervous about S7 but what a return to form this was! The cast was given a decent amount of new blood this series and lo and behold, a couple of prison issues came back! The good outweighed the bad I think this season.
    Good:
    *The Julies got something juicy to do this series! Not only did the cheery Julies of old start to come back, with the hair salon and Bev's makeover, but actually, Julie J's descent into madness wasn't as much of a deus ex machina/random change as you think - her mental instability was apparent as far back as season 2: Remember her throwing the mop at Sylvia and later in 3.2 where she basically blew up at Julie S because she was getting out?
    *Pat Kerrigan. What can I say? She combined the best traits of Nikki and Yvonne. And 7.6 is one of the series' best. Liked Sister Thomas too, even before she was unmasked she was a great addition to the cast and brought back the old 'gang' feeling, albeit breifly.
    * 7.4, the Laura Canning episode. Felt like Bad Girls of old, an awesome piece of drama. Written by Phil Ford too, one of the remaining original writers from Series 1.
    *Tracey and Jack were great this series, albeit a touch too much screen time out of the prison for them, but still. It's criminal that Di Barking wasn't given any closure.
    *The Costas and the cream cakes - good to have a silly comic storyline that wasn't too plot-driven for once, another hallmark of classic BG.
    *Great continuity - the montage in 7.1 and continuous references to Rachel and Shell.
    *Arun Parmar - I liked Rebecca's performance, the lack of histrionics was refreshing to see and was nice to see Shed explore a new issue. According to the website, Arun wasn't suspected as transgender because of recent law changes which allow TS people to change their IDs such as driving licences.
    Bad:
    *Fenner's 7.1 release was a little rushed but I suppose it is a drama, not a documentary.
    *Kevin Spiers. Yawn.
    *Janine Nebeski - Nothing wrong with Nicola's acting at all - just didn';t like how she behaved like a sneering schoolgirl bully and the way she licked Natalies arse so much. Kinda like early Series 1 Denny I suppose.
    *Small nerdy gripe - the bright lighting and strong colour saturation this series took away the gritty feel. And anyone else notice how much stage make-up all the actors were made to wear?!

Series 8 - Where do I start?!
    *Lou/Vicky/Rowan - Quite apart from being tediously dull and a waste of two very high-profile performers, why did they think that the viewers of a PRISON DRAMA would care about all this stuff going on outside the prison?! In early episodes I adored Lou, though she was a real breath of fresh air to begin with. She did have some great scenes with the inmates, though. Her friendship with Neil as old colleagues would have been great to explore had they not offed him with no respect for his character.
    *Donny/Janine - Tried to rehash Zan/Dominic but failed. A shame as Nicola acted out of her skin this series and she got some good storylines other than this tedium. Sid Owen was an ambitious casting choice but he's too much of a typecast and soap face to really pull this off.
    *Stella Gough - Initially she was a promising new inmate but the storyline with Joy - classic soapy rubbishness. I can see why they did this storyline; too add some human layers to Joy but it didn;t comer across to well and showed no respecct for the character.
    *The whole Pat/Nat shebang: Was gripping to begin with (and great to finally see Natalie get what she dserved) but the carting the body around for 3 episodes? Rehash of a minor S4 plot that was boring the first time around. Wasted the Julies too.
    *Speaking of the Julies - nice to see them almost back to their old selves (comical little revelation of them being stoners - can you imagine them stoned?! LOL) and great continuty in bringing David back (and with the same actor too). Shame they were relegated to 'bullies' again in 8.10. Also some topical ideologies again with mentions of Herceptin for Julie's cancer.
    *Some issue-led drama in eps 1 and 3 (and ofg course Annette Badland's powerhouse performance). And that is my main problem. The series started so promisingly and by the end - absolutely shocking.
    *8.10 and the woeful Xmas Special. Despite Antonia (Darlene) finally being given a storyline after 2 series and the decent drama with Janine's baby in the special, these are quite possibly the worst episodes ever of BG.
    *Victoria Bush once again proved what an asset she was to the series in 8.7 and 8.8.

Okay, an enormous essay for a debut post but these were my thoughts!

Obviously I have seen S1-3 since getting the DVDs and love them but I better not review them here, I've written enough!
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching the ep the other day where Yvonne, the Julie's and Denny start up the sex lines, and were discussing their names

Julie S "I'm Whiplash Wonder"
    Julie J "And I'm Saucy Sonia"
    Denny "I've chosen my name too. I'm going to be Gail"
    Yvonne and the Julie's "Gail?"
    :D
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was growing iTunes the other day and notice this had been recently added so downloaded it for old times sake and it has absorbed me once again as it did 10/11 years ago. It doesn't look like it has aged at all. Series one in particular is just fantastic and it was Nikki/Helen that was the cornerstone of the show back then. I could sense it was getting more camp during series 3 but N/H kept me watching and I thought the quality had really gone downhill the next few series so I stopped watching it. It was like they were always trying for H/N and Shell replacements but the originals could never be replicated. Fantastic, groundbreaking show back in the day. I'm waiting for iTunes to put series 2 up now so I can play it all on my ipad:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd give this thread a bump ;). I know there's a few on the forum that are re-watching Bad Girls too, so I thought I'd post in here as a discussion :D I've just finished episode 2 of Series 2, with the whole Shell phoning Jim's wife storyline. I remember watching it for the first time & when he got fired, I was like "Yeah, finally someone's got him"; how wrong was I? :p
    Series One has got be my favourite series of Bad Girls, after re-watching it again, I know why I loved it so much the first time round. That one series was one of the best pieces of television that I've ever seen; so gritty, the plots were amazing, the characters had a lot of depth and I think that, despite the fact I love series 2 & 3 as well, none of them are as good as Series One. I can't wait to watch more though, I really want to get to Series 3 at least, then I'll consider watching the rest.

Random thought; wonder how Shell Dockley would have reacted to the Peckham Boot Gang? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi :)

Watched Yvonne's death on CBS the other night. So chilling, it's given me nightmares in the past!:o The way that she just turns around and hits the wall... and then her scratching to get out looks so helpless :(

And I can't see Shell reacting too kindly to the Peckham Boot Gang! :D
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojo2008 wrote: »
    I was watching the ep the other day where Yvonne, the Julie's and Denny start up the sex lines, and were discussing their names

Julie S "I'm Whiplash Wonder"
    Julie J "And I'm Saucy Sonia"
    Denny "I've chosen my name too. I'm going to be Gail"
    Yvonne and the Julie's "Gail?"
    :D

Lol that's one of my favourite ever scenes! :D

I'm rewatching Bad Girls at the moment too. I've just finished rewatching Series 1 - I could watch it over and over again, it's a truly outstanding series. The Rachel bullying storyline gets a bit samey if you rewatch it too many times, but it's still well acted and well written. Every time Crystal sings 'Amazing Grace' it brings a tear to my eye, even if I'm watching it for the millionth time!

This is about the fifth time I'm rewatching my box sets... If I had to rank each series from best to worst, it would be:

Series 1
    Series 2
    Series 4
    Series 6
    Series 7
    Series 3
    Series 5
    Series 8

Series 1 is outstanding. Series 2 keeps up the same standard, apart from the odd dud episodes. The episodes following Zandra's death aren't the best and it doesn't step up again until the series finale. Series 3 bored me quite a bit... some of the episodes just didn't hold my interest and I felt there was a bit of filler at times. The Helen/Nikki storyline is one of my favourite ever storylines, but I was starting to get bored of their story towards the end of the series... it was the right time to wrap it up at 3.16 (which is one of my favourite episodes).

Series 4 is brilliant and one of the series I rewatch the most. I love it as the prison atmosphere and the gang element is there throughout the series. There's a great balance between drama and humour and I love most of the stories. I used to dislike Roisin and Cassie, but every time I rewatch this series, they grow on me more and more and I love watching their development. I really believe in them as a couple and so it's sad they don't appear in Series 5.

Series 5 is one of my least liked series. As others have said, it's all doom and gloom and we lose a lot of good characters. There was a balance between humour and drama in Series 4 which isn't present here. Snowball's story drags out far too much, I feel like they officially ruin the Julies characters in this series and the last few episodes leading up to Yvonne's demise are pretty grim :( Highlights are the Neil/Di saga, Karen's leaving episode (5.13) and Chris Biggins' guest appearance.

Series 6 is another series I rewatch a lot. It ranks highly as I love the majority of the episodes and Frances Myers really makes this series for me. The only time the series takes a dip is during the poisoning story, but apart from that, I love every minute of this series. Series 7 keeps up the same good standard. The Costas in Spain, Jim's murder, Natalie Buxton, Pat's arrival and her romance with Sheena are all highlights.

Finally Series 8 is my least liked series. You really feel the loss of Jim when you're watching and the final two episodes are just an embarrassment. Characters have personality transplants etc. The first couple of episodes in the series are promising, but it quickly nosedives.

My opinions may have changed compared to two years ago, but I have rewatched the box sets a significant amount of times since then and I've grown up significantly since I first watched them. Bad Girls will always remain one of my favourite ever TV shows, especially Series 1, which is an exceptional piece of television.