Au revoir everyone. Try and RIP EastEnders

ClassicGarfieldClassicGarfield Posts: 1,591
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wanted to say goodbye. I joined these forums because I loved Eastenders (I had another account prior) and wanted to get talking about it with more people. Unfortunately since 2010 the show hasn't been the same. If you ask me, it's gone down and down further, losing its credibility.

It all started when Kirkwood took over and destroyed the show - how I survived his tenure, I'll never know!

Then, Newman did nothing so I was just sooooo bored on her tenure.

Then... DTC came, and I rejoiced. Could it have been any better? The man who worked alongside Santer and claimed to have worked on Stacey Slater's first stint storylines (my favorite character)! He started so well and I loved the Carters. It felt very Santer again. DTC also announced Lacey Turner returning and I was totally sold this was all going to be amazing!! So DTC started out strong but the show quickly started to show problems again and has descended back into utter drivel, with DTC having no concept of pacing and also setting in his own damage to the show.

- Copying the shows past greatest hits (which he said he wouldn't do) like Kat/Zoe sister is secret mum with Mich/Shirley, Phil getting shot "again".

- Making terrible and uncredible decisions like Kat having twins and Kathy being alive.

- He's ruined Stacey and even the Carters.

I've tried to stick with it, and also struggled to stop watching out of habit when I wanted too. But I just can't stay with it anymore. I've started missing episodes and not caring to catch up (which I've never done), and now after watching EastEnders all my life, I'm done. And I've stopped watching the show even with Stacey in it!! Something I thought I'd NEVER do.

All in all, the Kathy story has been the last straw. Someone even pointed out that Ben was supposed to be in the crash with them and I remember it being mentioned in the show way back then so the fact they have clearly neglected that to bring Kathy back is just awful.

ANYWAYS. It's been fun, boring, frustrating and a laugh on here. Take care all. I will genuinely miss coming on here but I'm not watching EastEnders anymore and I need my life back :D

Comments

• MinaHMinaH Posts: 3,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I was leaving after the conclusion of the Max - prison - everyone knows his innocent - storyline - but somehow I have been drawn back in with the Les - Christine storyline and now the Gavin storyline ... now the return of the Stacey key storyline. DTC also seems to release bits and pieces to keep the interest going - for example it seems the Linda - Dean storyline is going to come to a conclusion during Christmas.

So there seems to be logic in the madness of DTC.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I left earlier in the year
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,266
    Forum Member

Are you sure? :D

See you later Garfield, I hope you pop on occasionally. :)
  • ClassicGarfieldClassicGarfield Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Are you sure? :D

See you later Garfield, I hope you pop on occasionally. :)

Thanks Scrabs. Take it easy :)
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I don't blame you, it's a pretty enraging and disappointing time to be an EE fan. I'm not giving up (for now at least) but I can fully understand the desire to do so.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta ra CG. I stopped watching earlier this year but I'm hooked again now.

:o

It's a shame some of the mistakes they have made but I do think there's been some very good episodes in amongst the other stuff.
  • sinopia_rossasinopia_rossa Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped watching nearly ten years ago (watched from the beginning to 2006), and not only do I not care about the characters any more, but I actually wouldn't watch even for a substantial fee.
    The thought of Phil or Shirley's miserable faces is a total turn-off.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I have weeks where I don't watch and then weeks where I do watch. It just seems to be going round in circles these days
  • ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    These type of threads always make me laugh, as you know the OP will be back watching and commenting in a few days!!!

Attention seekers!!
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These type of threads always make me laugh, as you know the OP will be back watching and commenting in a few days!!!

Attention seekers!!

Viewing figures would indicate otherwise.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have to be as bad as 2004-2008 for me to stop watching again.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dtc is imo the worst producer.
  • noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Attention seekers!!

Exactly. If you're going, go. Why the need to tell us all? I stopped watching Emmerdale months ago. I don't know why. But did I make an infantile thread out of it? Nope. Just stopped watching, and stopped commenting in Emmerdale threads. Dead simple.

So, you've stopped watching. Great. Bon voyage.

And really, the viewing figures aren't that bad compared to other soaps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. If you're going, go. Why the need to tell us all? I stopped watching Emmerdale months ago. I don't know why. But did I make an infantile thread out of it? Nope. Just stopped watching, and stopped commenting in Emmerdale threads. Dead simple.

So, you've stopped watching. Great. Bon voyage.ū

And really, the viewing figures aren't that bad compared to other soaps.

This is a soap forum where we discuss our opinions on the soaps we watch, I know, it's hard to believe but believe it or not. I'm saying goodbye to everyone on here and explaining why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Ta ra CG. I stopped watching earlier this year but I'm hooked again now.

:o
    It's a shame some of the mistakes they have made but I do think there's been some very good episodes in amongst the other stuff.

I'm definitely going to miss how you can always make me laugh O...O :D take care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was never even here! :o
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See you around Garfield and as Scrabbler said don't be a stranger.

If the show ain't working for you no point wasting time watching it.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member

I've only watched it since 2009 and for me, Brian Kirkwood is the worst. :)
  • EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He is not worst than Kirkwood or Newman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    See you around Garfield and as Scrabbler said don't be a stranger.

If the show ain't working for you no point wasting time watching it.

Exactly how I feel Harlowe. Take care of yourself :)
  • Minute Mart 1Minute Mart 1 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to say goodbye. I joined these forums because I loved Eastenders (I had another account prior) and wanted to get talking about it with more people. Unfortunately since 2010 the show hasn't been the same. If you ask me, it's gone down and down further, losing its credibility.

It all started when Kirkwood took over and destroyed the show - how I survived his tenure, I'll never know!

Then, Newman did nothing so I was just sooooo bored on her tenure.

Then... DTC came, and I rejoiced. Could it have been any better? The man who worked alongside Santer and claimed to have worked on Stacey Slater's first stint storylines (my favorite character)! He started so well and I loved the Carters. It felt very Santer again. DTC also announced Lacey Turner returning and I was totally sold this was all going to be amazing!! So DTC started out strong but the show quickly started to show problems again and has descended back into utter drivel, with DTC having no concept of pacing and also setting in his own damage to the show.

- Copying the shows past greatest hits (which he said he wouldn't do) like Kat/Zoe sister is secret mum with Mich/Shirley, Phil getting shot "again".

- Making terrible and uncredible decisions like Kat having twins and Kathy being alive.

- He's ruined Stacey and even the Carters.

I've tried to stick with it, and also struggled to stop watching out of habit when I wanted too. But I just can't stay with it anymore. I've started missing episodes and not caring to catch up (which I've never done), and now after watching EastEnders all my life, I'm done. And I've stopped watching the show even with Stacey in it!! Something I thought I'd NEVER do.

All in all, the Kathy story has been the last straw. Someone even pointed out that Ben was supposed to be in the crash with them and I remember it being mentioned in the show way back then so the fact they have clearly neglected that to bring Kathy back is just awful.

ANYWAYS. It's been fun, boring, frustrating and a laugh on here. Take care all. I will genuinely miss coming on here but I'm not watching EastEnders anymore and I need my life back :D
    Excellent post. I can see where you are coming from I have done the same with Coronation Street and I feel so much better for it, I have not had the guts to do it with EastEnders yet, keep threatening too, may be I should join a support group. Oh wait I do, its called DS. :D:D:D EastEnders is aimed at a different demographic now who have never heard of Julia Smith or Tony Holland, the MTV/Hollyoaks brigade. Some were not even a fetus in 1985. DTC makes the show for a certain fan base and is only interesting in fanfix and keeping that group happy. >:(

All the best anyway. ;-)
  • MinaHMinaH Posts: 3,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Reeba_Reeba_ Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry that you don't like the current story lines. I regularly stop and start watching various soaps and never feel like Im lost with what's going on so I don't feel like it's an "all or nothing" situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This thread has a Julias Theme feel to it :D
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can stop watching Garfield without leaving Ds. Look at broadshoulder :p